Aeterna Civitas III

McMonkey

----Evertonian----
SLeague Staff

Inspired by Tanelorn and Fairline's superb ancient units I decided to update the graphics for Aeterna Civitas III which is a project on hold after Agricola's playtest highlighted some major flaws. After starting to tinker with the scenario a little I had one of those brain thingies (I call it an idea storm) and I'm suddenly feeling the creative juices flowing through me again.

My concept for ACIII was to use the ToT events to create a very challenging scenario. What I think I actually made was a 400+ turn slog which would only appeal to the most patient Civer. I took on board Agricola's invaluable feedback and I have made major changes to the units movement speed, the length and speed of the scenario and the economic system. As well as this I have had some great new ideas about the objectives, unit production, the economy and the AI events.

MOVEMENT and GAME LENGTH:

The scope of the game is now only from 281BC to 106AD (the end of the Dacian Wars) and the turn year increment is now two, making the game 193 turns long instead of 481. I have doubled the movement speed of all ground units and added 2 moves to all cavalry. I'm also thinking about ways to get the engineers working faster to speed up the road building process. I hope this will lead to a snappier, more action packed game with new wars coming thick and fast. I will need to play test it once the alterations have been made and if it is still too ponderous I will tweak the values again.

LEGION EVENT SYSTEM:
One idea I had was about the creation of a Legion as a whole unit. For instance an event creating perhaps 14 units in Rome comprised if 3 Velites, 3 Hastati, 3 Principes and 3 Triarii and 2 Cavalry. To trigger the event the player would have to build a Legion unit which would then go to Rome where it would destroy itself against a (barbarian) training camp unit. It will be very, very expensive to buy the Legion unit and I hope this encourages the player to set more of their cities to producing taxes so that a few major cities can build the Legions. Hopefully this will mean less micromanagement of cities is required and more time can be spent conquering. This idea is borrowed from Komnenai by Heresson.

TRADE and SLAVES:
I would like to alter the economy so that less time is spent shipping traders around and the focus is kept on expansion. I want to make the economy work by constant expansion. City captures bring in money and slaves. Slaves can be disbanded for their high shield value to help build new Legions or city improvements. I think traders also need to be created via events after cites are captured. To make this work I will need to make the economy easier to manage. My old concept of a very tight financial situation led to an over emphasis on trade just to balance the books.

OBJECTIVES:
I want to try and steer the gameplay along historical paths without stifling the players urges to try new things. My concept is to announce a new objective via an event. This new objective will have a set time limit to be completed in. If it is not completed in time there will be dire consequences, such as a major civil war or invasion by the enemy that will practically wipe out the player. Once an objective is achieved the penalty event will be switched off via flags and the player will reap the rewards of their victory. For example, an objective could be to take Sicily from the Carthaginians. I can focus the events to assist the AI Carthaginian resist the Roman attack on the island. If Rome fails to take its objectives then a large Carthaginain army will land near Rome or a civil war will erupt across Rome in which most of its major cities will be lost. These events will be complex, but I think it is possible.

Its funny how I always feel more creative just when the weather starts to turn nicer, exactly when I should be spending less time on the PC and more time outdoors!

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. :goodjob:

Attachments

• AC3NSS.png
    AC3NSS.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,030
Good news Drew. I'm being dense here, but I can't work out where the download link on the 'Poly thread is.......

I don't think it is available to download anywhere yet. I asked Agricola to playtest the old version for me and I'm really glad he did as I am now, finally, implementing a whole host of changes based on his recommendations as well as a ton of new ideas of my own. As ever I'm hoping to finish the scenario soon (heard that one before, but this time I really mean it :D) so hopefully you can get your hands on it soon. It helps that I'm modifying a working scenario rather than starting from scratch.

I have sorted out the issue with Leonardo's upgrading Histati and Principes to a universal Cohort unit, but I'm still trying to figure out why Velites and Triarii don't also upgrade. The Cohort has better stats all round than any of the Republican era units so in theory they should all upgrade. I may have to do it in a few stages (that was a new idea as I typed!). I will test this tomorrow.

One new concept I had tonight with the Legion creation event is to have all new Principes and Triarii created as Veterans and the new Velites and Histati as non veterans who have to gain their status in battle. I will need to tweak the stats a bit but I really think this new system will be a much better representation of the Republican era army, whilst the more powerful and flexible Cohorts will combine the abilities of all four into an easier controlled one size fits all super unit. This will have the added bonus of making logistics easier at a point in the game when, if things have gone well, the Roman Empire has a large army to maintain.

I'm also thinking about having regional training camps so that not all the Legions have to be created in Rome. For example if the Legion recruit destroys itself against the Carthaginian training camp (indestructable unit) then the Legion will appear in Carthage, if against the Celtic camp then it will be in Britain and so on. The only issue may be when a civilization is destroyed and the camp disappears.

I have got the slave events working tonight. Basically the slaves are now in the Partisan slot and appear when enemy cities are captured, along with some event generated warriors who will try and recapture the city. The Romans can then capture (kill) the enemy slaves for a small cash bonus and a new slave unit created via events in Rome. The slaves can be used to build roads or disbanded for their decent shield cost. Getting the balance right will take some time, but I think this should work.

One other new idea I had was for Allied units to be created when the Latin and Italian units are killed. Should add some colour to the Legions!

As you may have gathered, my head is bursting with new ideas and I'm more than a little excited about ACIII at the moment!!!

ACIII is progressing nicely now, inspired in no small measure by the fantastic new units that make working on it a real pleasure. I have addressed all of the issues that Agricola raised in his playtest and made a load of changes of my own. Once the events are finished I will be ready for a new playtest. Volunteers would be appreciated!

The new Legion events have been added and tested. I decided to go with the regional Legions idea (Roman, Macedonian, Syrian, Egyptian, African, German and British). Unfortunately there is no way I can make a Spanish Legion without including another Training Camp type unit, though this may be an option if I can free up a unit slot. I decided to spice up the Legions by giving each region its own auxiliary units in place of Velites and Equites. For example the Macedonian Legion gets Thracian Peltasts and Cavalry, the African Legion gets Numidians, the Germanic Legion gets Sarmation Cavalry and the Syrian Legion gets Levantine Archers and Armenian Cataphracts. My only concern is that by the time some of these regions come under Roman control the Marian Reforms will have kicked in and the events will be obsolete (IE no more New Legion units can be built and the Romans will be able to construct Cohorts and Auxiliary units in cities). This won't stop the game working, but it would be a bit of a waste of event space. I will have to see how it works out in the playtest.

I'm still trying to iron out a few issues with the Marian Reforms tech (Makes Republican era units obsolete) , Senate Wonder (Leonardo's Workshop) and the New Legion creation event.

- Will Principes and Hastati created via events after Marius Reforms be upgraded by Senate? = No, the upgrade only happens when a new tech is discovered.

- Can the Romans receive the same tech every turn via events once Marian Reforms are gained? Test = Giving the tech again triggers the upgrade!

Solution - Example event:

1) TURN=Every > Take Marian Reforms (Ongoing throughout game)
2) Once Marian Reforms tech is discovered for the first time Roman Flag X is set to ON
3) Every turn the events file checks if Roman Flag X is on. If it is it gives Marian Reforms. This will upgrade any Hastati or Principes that may have been created via the New Legion unit / event combo.

If this works then I will be able to keep the New Legion event system in place for the duration of the game. I will need to test it thoroughly to ensure there are no bugs. If anyone can spot an obvious problem I may have overlooked then please yell. I will get on with some of the other events today and see if there are any replies before I start testing this idea.

One drawback is that Velites and Triarii will continue to be produced even when they are technically obsolete. I was wondering if there was a way I can also get then to upgrade to Cohorts. At the moment all four units become obsolete with Marian Reforms (Roc) but only the Hastati and Princepes upgrade...hang about. I think the penny has just dropped. Is it the units role that is preventing it from upgrading? TESTING...

Yup, that was the issue. I feed so dumb now, but it is always a good feeling to fix a frustrating problem. Now I just hope the idea detailed above works!

I guess I have never really used unit obsolescence in any of my previous scenarios, or not to any great degree or in combination with Leonardo's. Now I have sussed it out I'm having loads of 'new' ideas. Whoop whoop!

This is so nice to see:

Attachments

• Upgrade.png
    Upgrade.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 846
I really hate it when cities get totally destroyed in a scenario. Its a real shame its not possible to set all cities to have the Great Wall effect. Using CivCity to rebuild walls is one work around, but it is clumsy and the AI cannot make use of it.

I was wondering if it was possible to give specific cities an improvement, (IE city walls)? I want to make this to happen so that if the walls are destroyed upon the cities capture they will immediately be rebuilt, much like the great wall effect. I took a look at the BestowImprovement event below:

@IF
Turn
turn=2
@THEN
@THEN
BESTOWIMPROVEMENT
IMPROVEMENT=Improvement Index Number (0=Nothing, 67=Cure for Cancer)
RACE=Civ Name
CAPITAL=[Yes], [No], [On], [Off], [True] or [False]
WONDERS=[Yes], [No], [On], [Off], [True] or [False]
@ENDIF

BestowImprovement:
Gives the specified city improvement or wonder to a city owned by the named civilization, without cost. The improvement index number is the position of the particular improvement in the list in the rules.txt file. Remember that the index numbers begin at zero (Nothing), and only go up to 67 (Cure for Cancer). Race is the civilization that is to get the improvement. What city the gift is placed in is determined for you. Each city is given a rating based on its size, whether it's the capital, and how many wonders are in the city. If you set the capital parameter False (or No or Off), this calculation ignores the capital factor. The wonders parameter controls the wonder factor in the same way. The top rated city gets the improvement unless you include the optional Randomize parameter, in which case the city is chosen at random from the top ten.

From this info it looks like specifying the exact city you want the improvement to go to is not possible. I was wondering if I set the trigger to every turn the event will search for a city without walls and replace them. This way I can just set one event for each civilization. I guess the event will just pick a city at random and if that city already has the improvement than nothing happens and any cities without walls are not even considered. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

This looks really exciting Drew - I hope you stick with it for us willing playtesters! Liking the unit upgrade ideas and Heresson-esque training of legions a lot. Have you got enough civs left to make the training fort a unique civ?

Thanks Gareth. I'm riding high on a wave of enthusiasm at the moment! I'm hoping to have a playtest version ready soon. The Legion events are a real breakthrough in trying to represent the Republican and Imperial era Legions. Most of the initial playtesting I will do should now be about checking for bugs, making sure the economy and the difficulty of the events are well balanced. After that I will release it to one or two willing testers and after making any final adjustments I will release the final version.

There is one Training Camp unit but there will be eight of them on the map, one owned by each Civ plus one by the Barbarians. When the New Legion unit kills itself against a Training Camp the event for that particular area will be triggered. For example if a Roman New Legion unit destroys itself against the Seleucid owned Training Camp outside Antiochia then the Syrian Legion events will trigger and a new set of Legion units will appear in Antiochia (providing the Romans are in possession of that city). I have tested it and it works a treat. To recycle the events in the post Marian Reforms era the Senate (Leonardo's) will upgrade the units each turn when the Marian Reforms tech is given (providing I can get this event to work). This does mean that there may be a brief period between the new Legion units being created and the next turn when the event triggers where the old unit types will be on the map. I can't think of a way around this at the moment, but it shouldn't be a major issue. Only testing will tell.

I was wondering if anyone could help come up witha way to keep the AI at peace with one another? I want them to concentrate their efforts against the Romans as much as possible. There is a MAKEAGGRESSION event, but not a MAKEPEACE one. There is also a MODIFYREPUTATION event, but no MODIFYATTITUDE which would probably be more effective. I guess 100 means a good reputation and -100 would be terrible, right? Any suggestions would be welcome.

I was wondering if anyone could help come up witha way to keep the AI at peace with one another? I want them to concentrate their efforts against the Romans as much as possible. There is a MAKEAGGRESSION event, but not a MAKEPEACE one. There is also a MODIFYREPUTATION event, but no MODIFYATTITUDE which would probably be more effective. I guess 100 means a good reputation and -100 would be terrible, right? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Unless I'm mistaken (it was quite some time ago...), what I did for this in Lost Legions and Pomarj was simply preventing the AI to talk to each other, which kind of guarantees they can't make war!

Great. I have already done that but I wasn't sure if they could sneak attack but then be unable to make peace. In Agricola's playtest there were thousands of AI casualties, but I'm pretty sure negotiations between the AI were still possible. THanks for confirming that Cyrion, that's one thing less on my TO DO list! :D

This project is still progressing well. The main hurdle now is completing the events, but I'm making my way through them at a steady pace. I re-designed the tech tree now that the scenario is designed for single player:

Attachments

• ALTERED TECH TREE.PNG
    ALTERED TECH TREE.PNG
    116.4 KB · Views: 221
I'm really looking forward to playtesting this scenario now, which is spurring me on to complete the events. No doubt they will need refining, but I think they are coming along nicely. I got several more important wars programmed today, including the Punic Wars, the Illyrian Wars, the Macedonian Wars, the Celtiberian Wars and the Roman War with the Cimbri and Teutones. I had previously created events for the Pyrrhic War and all of the major Civil Wars and revolts.

Hopefully with the use of flags I can guide the scenario along historical paths whilst still allowing the player some freedom to peruse their own objectives. I don't want a situation where nonsensical text events are popping up because the game has deviated from a historical path. I can certainly see a good player finishing off the Carthaginians during the Second Punic War, therefore removing the need for a third and final war. My plan right now is to get the events made quickly and then test, add to and refine them. It is very easy to get bogged down in the details and become overwhelmed by the scale of the project! Wish me luck :D

I hope to have a playtest version ready soon. The playtest will tell me what needs altering (IE which events need scaling up/down). Until we start testing it is all just theoretical. Minor changes to the rules file can be made as we go along. I managed to get another batch of events planned out today and I will program them in tonight. The last lot of events are for Syria, Pontus, Egypt, Armenia and Parthia. When they are finished I can do a quick test for broken events (IE test events file in batches, setting the turn to 0 and/or triggering the events with the cheat mode). I'm about to check how much events space I have left. I have my fingers crossed that I'm not too near the limit as there is so much I would like to include!

Here's a wee screenshot to wet the appetite:

Attachments

• Iberia.png
    Iberia.png
    355.5 KB · Views: 788
Top Bottom