Alternate History Thread V

Preemptively answered questions are the best kind. :D

"Illianite"? As in, Wilusa/Troy/that thing that died three thousand years ago?

And why would they be called "Turcomans" if they're still in Central Asia? :p

And, don't blame me for bathorsehocky insane Central Asian languages.

At least Hungary is in the right place.... I think, oh and so is North Africa:)

In case I am mistaken Jutland is a peninsula, in Denmark... It is the Denmark Peninsula. Is Jutland the name of an nation?

This madness is what you get from wanting to have France removed from the face of the Earth.
Remember when Constantine the Gross was picking a site for a fancy new capital in the East? In this timeline HE WASN'T SO WISHY-WASHY
Honestly I barely know anything about central Asia so I randomly chose a... Turkish-Western-ish name for the thing.

Looking at the size of that Poland, it wasn't worth it.

Normandy made me chuckle though. How did they end up east of the slaves?

Remember when Constantine the Gross was picking a site for a fancy new capital in the East? In this timeline HE WASN'T SO WISHY-WASHY
So he picked a crappier spot, where there wasn't actually a city and where it'd be far less defensible? How the hell did that empire survive?...and then moved the capital to not-quite-Antioch, which is still kinda not so great...oy what a mess.
flyingchicken said:
Honestly I barely know anything about central Asia so I randomly chose a... Turkish-Western-ish name for the thing.
Mmhmm.

HUGE BLOATED WALLS WITH MORE WALLS AND WALLS OVER THOSE THEN A MOAT WITH SHARKS AND CAGED LIONS AND FIELDS OF PITCH AND A HUGE ARRAY OF CANNON AND INNER-WALL NON-MOTORIZED RAILWAY SYSTEMS AND HORSE-PATHS plus an elaborate series of traps including but not limited to tripwire-triggered rolling boulders, hails of arrows, trapdoors, and ancient curses -- more than made up for the defensibility issue?

Everybody missed -- Turks went North, the Christian Arabs exploded eastwards into Asia and Latins were busy, uh, not being too awesome? Also I was thinking Christian Arab explosion who were not so heretical would give Rome a commercial edge in the Mediterranean early enough to make Rome rich and entrenched enough merchant-wise not to be conquered/overtaken by said Arabs/other people later on; OR it could also be some random Turkic/Frankish country that took up the name of the Illianite Empire
Thus demonstrating the improbability of making a "plausible" timeline out of this map. :p
Dachs, did the Great Library of Susa get preserved by the Antigonids?
You mean the one in Persepolis? Since the city was surrendered, yeah. :p
Thlayli said:
The Baktrians really need someone to realize the crapload of tribute that can be can from subjugating the other Indian kingdoms.
Stop with the wackily unrealistic expectations bro, they just conquered all this stuff so they'll have to deal with the usual rebellions and need to integrate conquered territories. Seriously, did Persia go to your head or something back in NES2 V? Real countries can't do all that at the same time, you know. ;)

dachs said:
Apparently some far Eastern barbarians might think it a curse to live in times like these…

If you were a normal peasant, you would think these times are to be cursed too!

I can only say that it's interesting so far dachs...

I like the map, but I don't think I can explain it. >_<

On the other hand, we should have more maps/timelines of the thought-provoking "hey, that's not in the right place" variety. Though instead of simply saying this, I will attempt to actually do so myself in time.

Dach (who is maskerading as Banalee) and FC's maps would both be big heaps of fun to play!

Is there any sort of time line done up featuring a preserved Iberian Union victorious in the 30 years war and intact for at least another 100 years?

FC's map is beautiful and I suggest we all play on maps like that from now on.

I wouldn't mind playing in a NES on a world map with realistic borders, but with the countries scrambled. Could be interesting.

Is there any sort of time line done up featuring a preserved Iberian Union victorious in the 30 years war and intact for at least another 100 years?
You can probably find one half of that but not the other. :p The NES2 V map was predicated on an Austrospan victory in the Thirty Years' War, then had Spain absorbed by France in its entirety at a later date, IIRC. I for one certainly think that the latter is an interesting idea and merits inclusion in something or other.

I wonder if anything's ever been done with the Genoese Revolution during the War of the Austrian Succession. I think it's potentially good stuff.

Top Bottom