Why do all the civs become guarded when..

civjunkie90

Chieftain
Sup everyone so i'm trying to do a science victory for my civ but it seems the minute I get any kind of advantage over the other civs say like a powerful army, or if i have more cities than they do they all become guarded which really sucks for me cause i can't trade with any of them. Sometimes I don't do anything in the game except grow my cities i dont even attack anyone and still I get denounced and they become guarded. What gives?

The AI never denounces without a reason, whether it be trivial or not. The most common cause proposing the wrong thing, voting the wrong way, or allying CS, and making DOF with their enemies. If you hover your mouse over each civ the game will show you the various diplo modifiers, except when the civ in question is being deceptive when only the positive ones are shown.

The AI never denounces without a reason, whether it be trivial or not. The most common cause proposing the wrong thing, voting the wrong way, or allying CS, and making DOF with their enemies. If you hover your mouse over each civ the game will show you the various diplo modifiers, except when the civ in question is being deceptive when only the positive ones are shown.

Yeah...have you maybe invaded someone with your large army and gain more cities that way?

You need to actively work at generating positive relations with AIs. The AI is predisposed to plotting against the points leader, and isolationist diplomacy usually leaves you without sufficient positive relations to buffer the diplo hit of sitting in the points lead.

The AI will usually attack if you give the ai an excuse to attack you. Being next to a powerful ai is very dangerous since it can attack and destroy you any time you want especially in the most difficult difficulties but that doesn't mean that you can't protect yourself. Be nice to the ai and the ai will be nice to you back.

The AI never denounces without a reason...
There are times when the AI may just DOW you and no diplo modifiers are shown, except "we are at war". Usually that's the result of a very high "we covet your lands" diplo modifier. Perhaps there is a bug where when the AI is in deceptive stance and just DOWs(doesn't denounce first) the games doesn't show it's negative diplo modifiers, which it would do had the civ denounced you.

Towards the end of the game, pretty much everybody will hate you if you survive that long for some reason or another. But I'd say that one of the biggest culprits is going back on your word for things. At least that's the most preventable without getting in the way of playing a good game. Just be disciplined to apologize for whatever they're crap they're angry about (stealing techs, building near their land, etc.) and don't do it again until the notification says that your promise has expired.

AIs hate it if you apply the coup de grace to any civ, that includes city states.

Most of the AIs in a typical game strongly prefer Arts Funding over Science Funding, so they'll dislike it if you actually propose Science Funding.

Proposing a World Religion will just get everyone that founded a religion mad at you for your troubles.

In late game, the conflicts tend to be ideological driven. Those following your ideology will generally love you while those following the others will hate you.

Ideology is without a doubt the biggest divider in a peaceful game. Switching from differing to matching ideologies can literally bring the AI from the brink of war to wanting a DoF.

Since ideologies and your (well, at least my) biggest boom of power both happen around the same time, this might be why it seems like the AI just hates you for being strong. Especially if you don't pick Order, which it seems about 90% of the AI prefer. I don't think I've ever been denounced without having any idea why.

Ideology is without a doubt the biggest divider in a peaceful game. Switching from differing to matching ideologies can literally bring the AI from the brink of war to wanting a DoF.

Since ideologies and your (well, at least my) biggest boom of power both happen around the same time, this might be why it seems like the AI just hates you for being strong. Especially if you don't pick Order, which it seems about 90% of the AI prefer. I don't think I've ever been denounced without having any idea why.

It seems like order is usually the best way to go for me. Lots of happiness, lots of production, even good science...almost the best of all worlds. For a very tall/peaceful civ obviously you can make a strong case for freedom though, but I always seem to get killed on happiness when I take autocracy b/c of tourism/discontent.

Top Bottom