football thread No11

Chelsea will have two opportunities to thwart you lot in as many weeks.

I'll be honest, after all the hype Leicester built up, to lose in the very end the cup to the Spurs...well, I wouldn't be even too mad.

No, no, you'll lose the Cup to Palace.

Well, Totnam are 2-0 up right now… seems as though Leicececececestershire will have to keep frying fish in blue batter until next weekend at least.

Leicester!!!!! What an amazing fairy tale and what an incredible achievement! This is why football is the beautiful game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leicester are 17th in player payrolls and about 1/4th of the biggest clubs. That's a pretty big achievement.

Worth noting that in Spain they'd be a Valencia or a Seville with that sort of expenditure ratio to the biggest clubs, as the bottom half of La Liga have more like 1:10 or 1:25 ratios to the big two. The TV distribution in England makes a world of difference in bringing some sort of competitiveness to the English league. It means there's like 15 Valencia sized competitors playing against each other and the big boys, instead of just a couple.

Congrats to Leicester! Well done!

Leicester are 17th in player payrolls and about 1/4th of the biggest clubs. That's a pretty big achievement.

Worth noting that in Spain they'd be a Valencia or a Seville with that sort of expenditure ratio to the biggest clubs, as the bottom half of La Liga have more like 1:10 or 1:25 ratios to the big two. The TV distribution in England makes a world of difference in bringing some sort of competitiveness to the English league. It means there's like 15 Valencia sized competitors playing against each other and the big boys, instead of just a couple.

Pretty much. In Spain it's Madrid vs Barça, then a handful of second-tier teams, then mid-level teams and a few horribly poor teams. Atlético de Madrid at times hovered between second-tier and mid-level, although they probably have entered the big ones club if they can keep this up one more year.

Currently it is
Madribarça
Atlético Madrid
Sevilla-Villareal-Valencia-Bilbao
Espanyol
hoi polloi

Leicester only got here with some heavy investment from their new owners. It's not as if they earned the money the traditional way, but then, in England particularly, who has? This is why the bigger clubs want to enforce FFP. Bayern, Madribarça, Chelski, etc. don't want to let the others in, just in case. They've had enough with PSG-style clubs…

Currently it is
Madribarça
Atlético Madrid
Sevilla-Villareal-Valencia-Bilbao
Espanyol
hoi polloi

Leicester only got here with some heavy investment from their new owners. It's not as if they earned the money the traditional way, but then, in England particularly, who has? This is why the bigger clubs want to enforce FFP. Bayern, Madribarça, Chelski, etc. don't want to let the others in, just in case. They've had enough with PSG-style clubs…
Leicester's payroll is 48m for 2015-16. Think that's low enough to be entirely covered by the 50m or so in equal distribution TV rights money and the 70m total they got last year including prize money.

The Spanish method of revenue distribution is making for a bad league. This is why the English league is much better and perhaps why the teams in England are struggling against the super European teams since they have to fight much harder in their league than other clubs do.

Congratulations to Leicester

Diego Someone, Dark Lord of the Sith defeats Pep Guardiola and positive football. Pity he won't be on the touchline for the final after shoving the guy with the sub/extra time board.

I mean, my sympathies are with the Dark Lord since similar understanding of the dark arts was the only reason I got to play as long as I did in the junior ranks, but that was just stupid.

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. His style is to cheat. He was actually frustrated when his soldiers did not break Messi's legs when tackling him.

But then he was facing Bayern… well, this was already going to be one CL where I would be completely neutral… by opposing every single one of the four semifinalists.

Hmmm, Real Madrid-Atlético Madrid. What a final.

Top Bottom