New Unit: Huscarl

I know it's details, but I'm pretty sure the correct spelling for the unit is "Huskarl". It actually means "a man of the house". Which was a pretty sigifficant and important title for warriors considering the old viking society. "Huscarl" means nothing.
-Tom

The English word is, as I've pointed out before, "Housecarl".

However, google actually has more hits for "huscarl" than for that, and almost as many as for Scandinavian "huskarl". It seems mainly to be used in the RPG community.

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
The English word is, as I've pointed out before, "Housecarl".

However, google actually has more hits for "huscarl" than for that, and almost as many as for Scandinavian "huskarl". It seems mainly to be used in the RPG community.

There's quite a number of English names for things with no aparent meaning in any other language than Ancient Nordic. Of the simple reason that there were quite a number of Norse settlements in Brittain. The Shettlands had for a very long time a distinct norse culture. A quite a number of small communities has a name ending in -by. Which in norse signifies the word for village.

But I'm not going to keep on whining. It's very possible that the "c" and "k" were at some point actually interchangeable. I just don't know.
-Tom

Originally posted by Aluminium
This huscarl/huskarl debate is needless. C and K does have exact the same sound!

Also note that in Anglo-Saxon Futhorc (runic) there is -- as in Latin -- no "k"; the "c" looked like a "K" missing the upright angled line and was pronounced "cen" (hard "c" = "ken") which also meant torch.

"Elder" Futhark (the oldest known version of runic; BTW note the difference in spelling -"k" not "c") had a "k" (which looked like "<"), was pronounced "kaunaz" and, perversely, meant "ulcer". It did not have a "c".

In either event, Aluminium is correct -- and "Celtic" would have been pronounced "Keltic".

-Oz

Originally posted by drzoidberg

There's quite a number of English names for things with no aparent meaning in any other language than Ancient Nordic.

Actually, "huskarl" is perfectly good Modern Swedish, and "huscarl" is merely weirdly spelt.

But that doesn't change the fact that the native English word is "housecarl".

huscarl is simply the Old English version for housecarl (hus being Old English for the Modern English house).

Originally posted by aaglo
hus is also modern swedish meaning house.
And karl means man, so now we should have all the etymologies all tied down and branded, don't you think? Now it's only the entomologies left. ;)

and the Cherokee version is Galitsodeasgaya (Ga-li-tso-de a-s-ga-ya) I think that's a much more accurate name. ;)

Ok, here's some more..

Estonian: maja nupp
Danish: hus mand
Dutch: huis mens
Irish: teach fear
Old English: hus man
Polish: dom czlowiek
Welsh: t^y gw^r
Latin: homo domus

Well.. hmm. It's kind of funny that the Irish word for huskarl, teach fear (tey-aak fe-ar), are the same as English's teach fear (tiich fiir).. the two words go well together. An Irish huskarl teaches fear. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Love that post Mobilise...

Anyway the Irish version* would be a Gallowglacht. In fact there are probably lots of units like this in europe. Therefore I have replaced the vanilla Medieval infantry with this guy.

The difference is HUGE, this guy (no matter what you call him) ROCKS....

*EDIT: I mean the Irish version of this unit, theres nothing wrong with Mobilises translation..

LOL ...

BTW, would this the first unit on CFC with a name in Old English?

Danish "husmand" surely needs to be spelt as one word, btw? And I'm positive "homo domus" isn't good good latin .... Perhaps homo domi? "house's vassal"?

Originally posted by Aluminium
Oh, it continues! Here's my contribution :D :
Did you know that the German version is Hauskerl? The feared Hauskerls... :lol:
That has also made me wonder a lot of times. Why would the Scandinavians use the term "Huskarl" if it was so similar to "Hauskerl"? I mean, who would fear a Hauskerl? :confused:

Klingt als ob er ein Feigling wurde... :lol:

Originally posted by Tathlum
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Love that post Mobilise...

Anyway the Irish version* would be a Gallowglacht. In fact there are probably lots of units like this in europe. Therefore I have replaced the vanilla Medieval infantry with this guy.

The difference is HUGE, this guy (no matter what you call him) ROCKS....

*EDIT: I mean the Irish version of this unit, theres nothing wrong with Mobilises translation..

Tathlum, check out this unit, i think you'll like it.:)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53241

I requested it ages ago, kinboat got it down to a T.
Look for King Arthurs mod,(if not the first page in C+C its at least 3 back), he has all utah and kinboats best units in it, but i think he needs more support to get it finished.

Eh, sorry about that Utah.:)
I clicked on here to tell you that your units are getting better all the time. I haven't been around so much, but I've went through your sig and all your units are excellent.:goodjob:

Originally posted by gael
I haven't been around so much, but I've went through your sig and all your units are excellent.:goodjob:

Wow! It has been a long time since I can remember seeing a post from you in C&C. Thanks.

Top Bottom