New to the series

zlmetrac

Chieftain
Hello I'm new to the forums and the Civilization series. I have played the demo of Civilization 4 and enjoyed it and I also followed news on Civilization Revolution. I only have a DS and no Xbox or PS3 but now I'm trying to decide on whether to buy Civ Rev on DS or Civ 4. I can get both for the same price so that's not an issue. Also I've had a hard time finding Civ Rev but I have found Civ 4 and the Beyond the Sword expansion. I am new so I was thinking that Civ Rev would be easier for me to get into and the ability to transport the game would be nice.

I would go for Civ4/BTS over CivRev for DS.

To me, CivRev DS is a poor substitute for the Civ experience. I mean, it does make Civ portable, and that is an accomplishment, but I would never choose to play it over Civ4 PC or CivRev 360. This is because the DS interface and display are awkward and incomplete by comparison to the other games. The DS AI also seems much less aggressive. (I mean the Emperor AI is a real threat to me on CivRev 360, but seems to do very little on DS. The Civ4 AI also does much more.)

Bottom line, I might get CivRev DS as a second, travel version of Civ, but it should not be your only version (and frankly, I'd recommend Advance Wars DS over it for travel).

I'm going to have to disagree with Thornburgh.

I play civ rev on the DS and it's fine. There's a few quirks with the game, but thats pretty typical for any game. Yes the graphics aren't very good, but to be truthful, you don't even really notice it after you get into the game. And aside from the graphics, civ rev DS is the exact same game you get on the xbox360 or the ps3.

That being said, the choice between Civ 4 and civ rev really comes down to what kind of civ experience your looking for. Civ rev is easier to get into because its less complicated, more streamlined and there's not as much to worry about. However, a typical game is over in 1-3 hours. Civ 4 is a great game, but takes longer to adjust to and pick up everything.

If you want the more immerse experience of civ, go with civ 4. If you want a quicker pace of a game, go with civ rev. But both are solid choices and good games.

If you want the more immerse experience of civ, go with civ 4. If you want a quicker pace of a game, go with civ rev. But both are solid choices and good games.

He's right. 100 percent. If you like to micro-manage and play a game for hour and hours, Civ IV is your game. If you want less strategy but more immediate payoff, go for Civ Rev.

He's right. 100 percent. If you like to micro-manage and play a game for hour and hours, Civ IV is your game. If you want less strategy but more immediate payoff, go for Civ Rev.

If you want a real civilization experience I would say go Civ 4/BTS. If you're just looking for a game to play, go for Rev.

Bottom line, I might get CivRev DS as a second, travel version of Civ, but it should not be your only version (and frankly, I'd recommend Advance Wars DS over it for travel).

Totally disagree. Regardless of Civ Rev DS 's shortcomings, it's still deeper, more immersive, more addictive than any AW game.

CivRev is the first of the series that ive played and after reading these forums i get the feeling that im missin out on Civ4? People are saying that it is/was better than any of the current Civ games out there...

Would it be worth buying the Civ4 for my PC?
Whats so good about Civ4?

Yes, it's worth getting, a lot have been asking that lately. Take a look at some of the threads lower down the page on the topic. If you like Rev, you'll probably get even more into one of the PC civs.

The PC versions of Civ tend to provide a deeper, more fulfilling experience. CivRev was designed to be a streamlined version of the game, where you can play a full game in a matter of just a few hours, at worst.

Many of us PC-Civvers spend 20 - 100 hours on a single game, maybe even more! ;)

Top Bottom