best wide civs

jokazc

Chieftain
Im trying to find only one civ that I could use playing against friends.Whats the best wide civs in BnW?

Rome, with it's 25% production bonus towards any building which already exists in the Capital (Rome) is extremely good for settling a lot of cities, and building them up to their full potential as quick as possible. Add in other production buildings, and trade routes, and you'll be getting some quick cities. This also enables you to choose more food tiles than usual, since buildings get built faster, which causes your cities to grow faster in terms of population.

Maya and Rome first came to mind when I read the topic title, so I can back up both of those. My personal favorite is Maya. The amount of gameplay options you can open up in the early game with GPs is incredible.

Early Theology rushed with Great Library, Liberty Finisher rushed with Oracle, and Leaning Tower? More GPs than you know what to do with, seriously. Yeah it's suboptimal if you want to amass GSs, but it's fun as hell.

My most recent Maya game went like this:

Open Liberty, Scout, Monument, Pyramid, Great Library (Philosophy), National College, Theology, Oracle, Liberty Finisher (GE), Rush Chichen Itza, Rush Leaning Tower, Rush Porcelain Tower

Seriously, it's dumb. You can get an early GS to keep slingshotting techs, snag an early wonder or get massive production from a manufactory-hill, found/enhance a religion around turn 70 (standard speed), and the GA and GM serve great purposes, too. The fact that you play against humans makes key wonders easier to get, but it does make you more susceptible to early rush, so it really depends on what your friends' playstyles are like.

if u play this game serious u will find out that there is not "the best" in such a wide aspect of the game.

many civs can go wide, some are well suited for it like rome, maya, iroqouis, incas...but you can even play india as wide civ sucessfully.

I'd just like to add Carthage to that list: those free harbours keep your gold in the black early, which can be troubling for wide civs. I personally also like to play Ethiopia wide: you miss out on the combat bonus, but 2 faith for every monument means you can do whatever the hell you want to with your religion. Very versatile.

Egypt, Ethiopia, Rome, Mayans, Siam, Persia, Celts.

China hasn't been mentioned, but their UB makes going wide more profitable, especially early on.

I was going to mention the Celts as an underrated good wide civ before I just saw a couple posters beat me to it. Each city will likely produce at least 1 faith point on its own, which can add up in the early game. Its UB is nothing exciting, but it will help with the happiness problems of having so many cities.

But I do think more civs are favored towards going tall than going wide.

Top Bottom