Anybody interested in a Deity game?

JBossch

King
I can't help but notice the dearth of upper level sample games and challenges recently. What happened to Immortal University? Where is Obsolete, Rusten, Snaaty, Gliese, VoU, ABigCivFan? Before anybody tells me I should shut up and play my own sample game I figured I would offer to do so. I win pretty consistently on Immortal/normal speed/standard size/random leader (usually fractal map) and I have managed to get a handful of Deity wins under my belt (one cultural, one domination, a couple diplo) so I am interested in trying another. This would by no means be a Deity walkthrough. It would be me hoping and praying and soliciting any and all advice possible from the boards. I should be able to play a little each day or at least every other day and my write ups tend to be fairly detailed, especially in the early game when every turn counts.

Also, is anyone willing to make a map or just look at one to see if its doable? I am convinced that some maps are impossible on Deity.

If you are interested, post here along with suggestions for leaders and map settings, or I can just go random/fractal like usual. I tend to prefer pretty standard settings including huts and random events on.

Btw, I will not cheat and if I go down due to some idiotic error, oh well. I have already posted both successful and utterly shameful game reports before and I'm not afraid to do it again.

Thanks,
JBossch

I'm creating an Immortal U either tonight or tomorrow actually.

Can't speak fore deity though...I'm not there yet!

Edit: I reserve reloads for two major things in my forum games (that aren't HoF based):

1. Major strategic points I can return to once I know the game is lost, to see the outcome had I chosen another path (I frequently do this before selling out on culture, massing up units, or shooting for UN)
2. My machines, especially this one, have a habit of declaring war when I attempt to trade (it "thinks" I'm holding alt, even if I'm actually just picking my nose and not touching the keyboard). I do not consider this sort of thing to be a mistake on my part (my intention and action do not align with what occurred), so I will reload unintentional declarations by me on other civs.

I'm creating an Immortal U either tonight or tomorrow actually.

Can't speak fore deity though...I'm not there yet!

Edit: I reserve reloads for two major things in my forum games (that aren't HoF based):

1. Major strategic points I can return to once I know the game is lost, to see the outcome had I chosen another path (I frequently do this before selling out on culture, massing up units, or shooting for UN)
2. My machines, especially this one, have a habit of declaring war when I attempt to trade (it "thinks" I'm holding alt, even if I'm actually just picking my nose and not touching the keyboard). I do not consider this sort of thing to be a mistake on my part (my intention and action do not align with what occurred), so I will reload unintentional declarations by me on other civs.

Haha, I don't think anyone will hold these exceptions against you. To clarify I would do the same in the case of unintentional and disastrous stuff happening, I'm not a fanatic.

Also, glad to hear you are adopting IU. That was a great series that helped me win on Immortal.

Any suggestions for my deity game?

I think the key to winning a Deity game is be more aggressive with exploring and land grabbing at the start. Build more warriors early to explore, get Archers/Axeman out early to explore more and guard cities, 2 workers out early to chop and push that 2nd settler out early to grab that nice spot 12 tiles away. Better exploring really helps the strategic placement and specialization of the cities. If you have 5-7 nice cities setup early, it is easy to recover econ and build your empire while bulbing, trading with AIs and make wise diplomatic decisions as to what religion to take, who to be friends, when to war and etc.

I would suggest a standard Pangea game to practice these aspects, the map is always crowded which forces you to be more aggressive on land grabbing early. Maybe one of the American Leaders?

Edit: I have recently played a few games which I aggressively explored the map and concluded that never skip any part of the map close to your capital, send an archer to explore those tundra tiles, you could be pleasantly surprised to see a nice site with fish, Marble and Iron.

Obsolete said a while back that continents had less luck-prone variance than fractal. I still prefer fractal personally but it's probably true.

It's hard for me to look at a start and determine if it's winnable on deity...the rates and war timing are messed up considerably by the extra settler and bonuses that approximate jumping from noble ---> immortal. If I had to guess, the main things that would make a start "un-winnable" on deity would be getting boxed in to 3 or less cities by a protective civ (without access to metal), or spawning in tight quarters with someone like shaka who targets you with an appreciable stack pre 1500 BC.

Possibly, a runaway AI on another continent could qualify too, but based on what I've seen from the "king of the hill" deity challenge snaaty hosted, I'd say that is more "very difficult" than "un-winnable".

Since the challenge is specifically being designed for those who are deity players you can just make a map and not WB save it etc...anything that prevents you from winning is probably going to happen pretty early.

Ok, I am thinking a Pangaea map like ABigCivFan suggested because I really am not in the mood for an isolated start and fractal seems to have a high occurence of them. If Shaka DoWs me in 2000BC with 12 swordsmen, so be it. If there are no other objections I will draw a random leader and post the start on a new thread shortly.

What helps you on deity? Playing a creative civ. :p

Random Leaders on Deity!? Yikes! If you get a lucky draw and start with a good leader I will join.

Top Bottom