Hunnic Overhaul! (V1)

Monty_Droppings

Chieftain
Hey guys, this is my first post on the forums, but I've been a lurker (WOOHOO!)

I have coded recreationally before, and am comfortable with lua, so I am comfortable with the syntax, but I am not familiar with all the assets used by the game or how they are used in context. That being said, I have found that you can actually be quite creative with XML.

With the release of Venice, you had your first really "out of the box" type of civ. I have changed the huns to make them more "Venice-like", as founding cities based on other civs names was really silly in my eyes.

The Huns Overhauled [old abilities, new abilities are in addition to the former]

UA

[Raze at double speed]
[+1 Production :c5production: from pastures]
[Start with animal husbandry]

Cannot build settlers.
Ancient-Era military land units cost no maintenance.
Capital builds military units twice as fast, and units built in the capital begin with +15xp

UU

Horse Archer

10 Ranged Strength:c5rangedstrength: (Can now move after attack)
7 Strength :c5strength:
4 Moves :c5moves:(Now ignores terrain cost)

Basically, they are now baby Keshiks! :D

Battering Ram

10 Strength :c5strength: [+300% against Cities]
2 Moves :c5moves: (now ignores terrain costs)
Cover 1 [+25% :c5strength: against ranged attacks]
Limited Visibility [-1 Sight]
City Attack Only
Penalty on Defense [-33%]

CF Download Link

You are forced onto the road to conquest early (not that you would expect anything else with the huns) Your UU's have been buffed accordingly (Horse archers are now baby Keshiks), and your capital now has a boost to unit production to compensate and facilitate an early rush. The other major issue with early warmongering has also been alleviated, Ancient era military land units cost no maintenance, so take advantage of this while the are still relevant.​

Attachments

• Huns Rebalance (v 1).civ5mod
    2.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Huns_OVERHAUL.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 100
Good job on this! The Huns really needed rebalanced. Not sure how I feel about the cannot build settlers here, but good job all the same. :D

Thanks! My largest gripe with the huns is that BNW really hurt early warmongering. That coupled with the fact that Honor is the worst social policy tree since G&K Piety really hurts the huns. It really needs some early gold, like 4 free maintenance-free units to make it really viable.

I feel like a lot of civs have been "power creeped", where new civs just kinda do similar things but arguably better.

This is where I want to focus my contributions towards this community, making older civs more fun and perhaps balanced to play. Once I have at least 3 or 4 of these together, I'll start a creation thread for myself.

Have fun with this. Baby Keshiks are the most fun you will have until I finish my Mongolia Overhaul (If you thought Keshiks were OP how they were...)

Good job on this! The Huns really needed rebalanced. Not sure how I feel about the cannot build settlers here, but good job all the same. :D

They did ? I think they're fine as is.

This mod does look fun though, mini-Keshiks should be pretty fun :D

I don't see what does no maintenance cost have to do with Huns. They should get extra gold from pillaging and food from horses.(they cooked meat while riding on horse and razed cities.)

I don't see what does no maintenance cost have to do with Huns. They should get extra gold from pillaging and food from horses.(they cooked meat while riding on horse and razed cities.)

I originally had coded in increased plundering yield, but I ended up removing it due to the fact that it steps on askia's UA's Toes (3x plunder yield from improvements and cites).

For the sake of flavor, yes I agree with you it would be great.

Maintenance free ancient era units was a pretty decent compromise I thought, and it was fun for me to code as I had to work my way around the limitations of XML.

I originally had coded in increased plundering yield, but I ended up removing it due to the fact that it steps on askia's UA's Toes (3x plunder yield from improvements and cites).

For the sake of flavor, yes I agree with you it would be great.

Maintenance free ancient era units was a pretty decent compromise I thought, and it was fun for me to code as I had to work my way around the limitations of XML.

Battering ram shouldn't have a defense penalty, and you could as well revised askia...;)

I always wanted a new Hunic civ with a UU Great General replacement where the GG has the option to found cities. Should start with a GG instead of a Settler, too [starting GG should be named "Attila"]. Subsequent cities founded would get names after the general who founded them.

Hey, here's an idea: maybe, instead of starting with a Settler and a Warrior, you start with two Horse Archers and a Battering Ram, with the first City you conquer becoming your Capital. Just an idea. It seems a bit more thematically appropriate, considering the history of the Huns themselves. =]

That sounds extremely busted though... it kinda goes along the same lines that gave me the Imbangala civ idea.
Ah, someday I'll fix it... someday.

Hey, here's an idea: maybe, instead of starting with a Settler and a Warrior, you start with two Horse Archers and a Battering Ram, with the first City you conquer becoming your Capital. Just an idea. It seems a bit more thematically appropriate, considering the history of the Huns themselves. =]

That would suck if you wound up on an island by yourself. You can't research techs until you found your capital, so you'll never learn to embark. You'd have to wait unitl someone else came along and founded a city where you started, and hope that HA's and BR's aren't obsolete then.

If that happens, the restart button is but a click away.

Yeah, it is historically accurate, accept the fact that it didn't happen in 4000 BC.

That would suck if you wound up on an island by yourself. You can't research techs until you found your capital, so you'll never learn to embark. You'd have to wait unitl someone else came along and founded a city where you started, and hope that HA's and BR's aren't obsolete then.

Never heard of the Germany Challenge? :p

Yeah, it is historically accurate, accept the fact that it didn't happen in 4000 BC.

There wasn't a Rome in 4000 BC either. Or an England. Or a United States. Or, to be honest, much of anything. Stop pretending that you know what you're talking about, Natan, nobody's fooled.

There wasn't a Rome in 4000 BC either. Or an England. Or a United States. Or, to be honest, much of anything. Stop pretending that you know what you're talking about, Natan, nobody's fooled.

Geez Scape, calm, we're all friends here. Its not that big of a deal.

Geez Scape, calm, we're all friends here. Its not that big of a deal .

There wasn't a Rome in 4000 BC either. Or an England. Or a United States. Or, to be honest, much of anything. Stop pretending that you know what you're talking about, Natan, nobody's fooled .

See, I'm confused now.
Guess nobody's fooled. Except me.:p

Top Bottom