What would be a perfect successor to Civ 5 be like?

One more big one is to actually allow me to select the units that I want to select and not jump around the screen and select them for me. This is one of my simple biggest pet peeves with this game so far.
I use the unit view in the top left corner and turn off the "auto unit cycle" to have this feature.

Hmm what would be a perfect successor to Civ 5? Alright, here is some stuff I think would help.

#1. Great Works reflecting the era they were made
-Example: If you create a Great Work of Art pre-classical era, you actually make cave paintings. However, if you make a Great Work of Art during the Informational era, it would appear to be a more modernized art piece. Make the labels fit the painting!

#2. Limit the number of Wonders a Civ can have in one city.
-Basically make it where one City can only have 2-3 wonders in it.

#3. Military land Improvements
> Outpost - Improves the line of sight of your borders, depending upon where it's located.
> Logistics Base - Allows units to heal outside of friendly territory, so long as they're within reach of the Logistics Base.
> Military Base - Allows units to be trained and housed in the base. (If built too close to another Civilization's border, it may cause tension between the two Civs, and affect Diplomatic efforts.)

#4. Improve Diplomacy in the game with different levels and more options.
-Joint Military Training Agreement - The Two Civs exchange Military traits granted through World Wonders.
-Immigration - Improves your generated culture but not your tourism
-Open Borders - Allows Civilians of one nation to visit your nation. However, it doesn't allow Military units to enter either one. This improves Tourism, but not culture generation.
-Aside from winning over the government, you need to earn the respect of the civilians of both your Civilization, and the other Civilization.

-=Example of Levels of Diplomacy=-
Level 0 - No acknowledgement of government - Improves through Strategic trade.

Level 1 - Minor risk free closed trade agreement - Improves through both Strategic and limited automatic trade routes.

Level 2 - Normal risky open trade agreement - Improves the same way as level 1, but with the addition of having to win over the Civilian population in the process. No more limits on trade routes between each other.

Level 3 - Open Civilization partnership - Your two Civilizations are openly working together, exchanging culture, resources, and more. This may cause further concerns for other Civilizations. However, you can now attempt to Improve relationships between two other Civilization's as a Third Party.

Level 4 - Research & Development - Your Two Civilizations are now working together to Advance Technology for both of you, but also are able to aid one another in City development. IE: You can send Production or Food to aid their City in need of help, or they can send it to one of your cities.

Level 5 - Military Training and Investment - Your Two Civilizations can now exchange Military Technology and Units. You're also able to move Military units between military bases of the Civilizations

Level 6 - Military Alliance - You and another Civilization (or Civilizations) may form a Military Alliance (IE: NATO.) Non-Military Alliance Civilization's may grow openly hostile towards the Military Alliance Civilizations, or may plan to openly seek better cooperation with it. With a Military Alliance, your Civilization has reached the peak of Diplomatic Cooperation with another Civilization and can now look to achieve "Allied Victories"

I can think of more ideas, but a few friends want to play Civilization 5 now together, so I will post more later. Take care all!

to be even better than civ v, and to fix the stupid movement AI that makes my units jump into the sea instead of move quicker over land FOR NO REASON when i tell them to move to a hex and thus take longer to get there. i am really annoyed by it. oh and much bigger maps. 180x90 or bigger. but keep the smaller maps for people who want short games.

i really like the espionage mission type things they have in beyond earth i hope civ 6 has something like that.

Realistic modern warfare, realistic tech tree, deeper economic system, better map scripts, dynamic environments, more diversity civ-wise, and more victory conditions.

I second that. However, I think that would make the game too complex to handle and force too much micromanagement. That is why I would like that civ evolved to a team- and role- based massive multiplayer experience. Basically each player could be an adventurous trader, a tribal leader ( or a barbarian one), a researcher that would eventually become a research corporation leader, a general, etc.

This would place a lot of intrigue into the game, and make multiplayer come to live. And the best civilization would be that that harness teamplay effectively.

Getting rid of one unit per tile is an absolute must. I'd ditch global happiness as well.

Most other things can stay as they are. Religion, Trade, City States are all well done.

Also, make it 64 bit. Not only will it look great but it will make it highly moddable.

This would lay a foundation for a truly epic game. :)

Thread title "successor to Civ 5" makes it sound like 5 was great, which it wasn't. It only got good (I hear) after 2 expansions, which means $200 for a good game.

Anyway turn based strategy in this huge lumbering micromanagement-heavy form is dead. Firaxis/2K just about managed to pull out a success with 5 but I think they were lucky and 2010 was the last possible time it could make economic sense. The trend in computer size is toward smaller laptops, including tablets, and the trend is accelerating extremely fast. Remember Civ 5 came out before the world had even heard of iPads. Now I mostly only use a tablet, or at most a lightweight laptop. Many people's screen time is 90% on a phone :crazyeye:

The devs would be crazy to make another Civ in the traditional heavyweight form. If it's not playable on a tablet or small computer, and ideally a phone, I think it'll bomb. Not possible? Not enough power? Not enough input precision? Well that's the challenge for them isn't it! There's certainly nothing difficult in just churning out another Civ with remixed ingredients, so let them chew over a really difficult problem. How to streamline Civ and put it back at the cutting edge of gaming with multi-platform playability etc., but still keep it feeling like Civ.

Then it would be the perfect successor :goodjob:

I think it's doable - you don't need a thousand mechanics mixed together to create gameplay depth. Just a handful of concepts put together elegantly should work just as well. We in these threads are part of the problem though, calling for pages and pages of MOAR STUFF PLZ DEVS, just like the same old stuff but a bit different.

Yep I know, I'm bored with Civ :(.
Logging off, at least till Civ 6 comes out...

0 units per tile! :mischief:

Sorry, couldn't help it. To be frank one thing I'd like to be away with is the 1UPT and instead implement an intelligent unit stack system, kinda like some of the Civ IV mods have succesfully done it (max number of units in stack, a stack penalty, combat bonus for surrounding enemy units, supportive fire).

I would also like that Civ VI would be made WAY more moddable than Civ V is.

Although I am pretty sure this is never gonna happen. I'm fearing that 2K will just make Civ VI as a larger expansion on top of Civ V+expansions.

Thread title "successor to Civ 5" makes it sound like 5 was great, which it wasn't. It only got good (I hear) after 2 expansions, which means $200 for a good game.

Anyway turn based strategy in this huge lumbering micromanagement-heavy form is dead. Firaxis/2K just about managed to pull out a success with 5 but I think they were lucky and 2010 was the last possible time it could make economic sense. The trend in computer size is toward smaller laptops, including tablets, and the trend is accelerating extremely fast. Remember Civ 5 came out before the world had even heard of iPads. Now I mostly only use a tablet, or at most a lightweight laptop. Many people's screen time is 90% on a phone :crazyeye:

The devs would be crazy to make another Civ in the traditional heavyweight form. If it's not playable on a tablet or small computer, and ideally a phone, I think it'll bomb. Not possible? Not enough power? Not enough input precision? Well that's the challenge for them isn't it! There's certainly nothing difficult in just churning out another Civ with remixed ingredients, so let them chew over a really difficult problem. How to streamline Civ and put it back at the cutting edge of gaming with multi-platform playability etc., but still keep it feeling like Civ.

Then it would be the perfect successor :goodjob:

I think it's doable - you don't need a thousand mechanics mixed together to create gameplay depth. Just a handful of concepts put together elegantly should work just as well. We in these threads are part of the problem though, calling for pages and pages of MOAR STUFF PLZ DEVS, just like the same old stuff but a bit different.

Yep I know, I'm bored with Civ :(.
Logging off, at least till Civ 6 comes out...

Your avatar is a perfect symbolic representation for Civilization 5. Lol.

0 units per tile! :mischief:

Sorry, couldn't help it. To be frank one thing I'd like to be away with is the 1UPT and instead implement an intelligent unit stack system, kinda like some of the Civ IV mods have succesfully done it (max number of units in stack, a stack penalty, combat bonus for surrounding enemy units, supportive fire).

I would also like that Civ VI would be made WAY more moddable than Civ V is.

Although I am pretty sure this is never gonna happen. I'm fearing that 2K will just make Civ VI as a larger expansion on top of Civ V+expansions.

Intelligent stacks are a good idea. Limit the size of stacks in accordance to terrain would also be a good idea. ie No doomstacks wandering around in the Arctic or deserts. Or at least make them take massive attrition for doing that.

They tried to address the problem of doomstacks by going way to far in the opposite direction and they failed miserably. Somewhere in the middle between 1UPT and Doomstacks is best.

As for Civ VI, if they get a really good 64 bit game engine, ditch 1UPT and global happiness, I think it could be a really good game. Modding with 64 bit game engines is also much, much better. So the sky could be the limit if Firaxis has the vision.

Maybe it's time to try to change the leader system. Make it that every civ traits is bound to the civ, not to the leader.

Then make leaders come and go ( die, just like in RL ) and thoose leaders may have minor traits added to them. Why? Because a 6000 year old Montezuma isnt really a pretty sight ;)

Top Bottom