Isolated AI

traius

His own worst enemy
I am playing an emperor game, and almost every AI was on my conitnent, with one poor isolated AI. As such sea faring was not important to me so I teched the requisite techs very late (at sci meth time, for other things; oddly, no one else had it, so it was a weak trade bait too). However, after having optics for a while, I realized no one had circumnavigated the world, so I went for it. It was unlikely, I thought, as another AI had caravels, but I whipped 2 caravels on either end of my empire and went for it. Eventually I discover the poor isolated AI, in ~900 AD, and realize I am seeing something I've never seen before: The AI didn't have agriculture in 900AD. There was not a single wheat rice or corn on his island, so he didn't need it for resources, but still... unable to make farms in 900 AD! lol

I am playing an emperor game, and almost every AI was on my conitnent, with one poor isolated AI. As such sea faring was not important to me so I teched the requisite techs very late (at sci meth time, for other things; oddly, no one else had it, so it was a weak trade bait too). However, after having optics for a while, I realized no one had circumnavigated the world, so I went for it. It was unlikely, I thought, as another AI had caravels, but I whipped 2 caravels on either end of my empire and went for it. Eventually I discover the poor isolated AI, in ~900 AD, and realize I am seeing something I've never seen before: The AI didn't have agriculture in 900AD. There was not a single wheat rice or corn on his island, so he didn't need it for resources, but still... unable to make farms in 900 AD! lol

Are you sure he didn't just decide to not build them? Did they have cottages or hamlets or whatever?

I had this is one game too... He had longbows already when I discover... but no agriculture because there was no farm resources.. That was no tech trading game so this could be the answer for me :) no need - no tech.. even for AI..

Are you sure he didn't just decide to not build them? Did they have cottages or hamlets or whatever?

He definitely had cottages, but he didn't just not build them, he couldn't build them. I could see in the tech trade window that I could trade him agriculture.

How could he build cottages?? Pottery directly requires agriculture. A bug maybe?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

How could he build cottages?? Pottery directly requires agriculture. A bug maybe?

Pottery requires the wheel, but it is either/or off of fishing and agriculture.

Well it still directly needs it. It goes through the wheel, but yeah.

Well it still directly needs it.

I'm not trying to dogpile you, so don't take this the wrong way, but Pottery does not require Agriculture. You get a research discount at Labs-Are-Us if you have it, but it is not necessary. The Wheel is a requirement, and having either Fishing OR Agriculture is a requirement. So if the AI had Fishing and The Wheel they could research Pottery and build cottages without ever having Agriculture. That is not a bug. It is however highly unusual, I have never seen that myself. I can't imagine getting very far without farms, sounds like the AI duped itself when it thought it wouldn't need Agriculture simply because it didn't have rice or wheat.

OH! I am so stupid. I didn't even realize what he was saying entirely and now I fel really dumb :D Thank you. Sorry.

This map has turned out to be weird in many ways. Ithough I would just go peaceful space as I have a slight tech lead and 26% of the map (very atypical for me, but relations were very good, so it seemed like the perfect set-up).... but despite that, I have 0 coal AND 0 oil! 26% of the map and no fossil fuels. With both contained within a single (friendly but backwards) empire immediately to my south, I went to war, and relations dropped, so I just drafted like mad and wiped otu everyone, like I do most games. God-damned gandhi's empire (the non-agriculture AI) was less than 1/3 my size and had BOTH. I could have invaded him and left the mainland alone, I guess, as he was clearly super-backwards but I don't usually want to bother with a navy on what is practically a pangaea, especially a wooden-ship navy when combustion is floating around some of the AI.
EDIT: The lack of Oil didn't really matter; it was the lack of coal for my power-plants that was annoying. And the random events agreed with my decision that game: I got the combat 1 cannon event AND, when I got coal, the +4 hammers at my coal plants event.

You're not playing tectonics map script are you? I've seen some of the oddest things in those games.

Maybe. I can no longer remember what all is included in random shuffle, which is what I'm actually playing. Random leaders, random map, random events!

You're not playing tectonics map script are you? I've seen some of the oddest things in those games.

What happens in those? I'm too used to custom scripts and pre-made maps where other things tend to happen.

I once played a multiplayer game like that.
There was this sad isolated dude who was quiet for the whole game.
And then we discovered he was complete madman. He had one city with some wonders with 100% culture.
And he spammed his whole island with forts in every tile. Nothing but forts and roads.

Def a crazy paranoid dude. Wow.

Top Bottom