Brave New World reviews

The VentureBeat review isn't very professional, and I don't say this merely because he gave BNW a low score. The guy barely mentions the culture/tourism mechanics, even though it is one of the biggest overhauls in the expansion. His opinion is that it's just another bucket to fill: that's fine, but can you provide some details as to why? There is barely a passing mention of archaeology, and no real mention of the Great Works. When you can't be bothered to devote even a couple paragraphs to one of the bigger changes, your agenda has taken over.

Exactly. Pretty much like saying that an FPS is fine except for all that shooting. (Edit - sorry MonorailCat, that's what I get for not reading a thread through before ranting.) I'd be fine if he explained that it may just not be his cup of tea - but he fails to disclose this and issues his "bucket" thing as a supposed impartial indictment of the expansion.

Quite possibly one of the most mind-boggling gaming "reviews" I've ever read, and that's a pretty big fail considering the list includes the usual release-day lovefest "reviews" of crap EA titles...

Granted, it's still not out for us mere mortals, but I'm pretty sure that if it sucks it won't be for the reasons he states...

How many of you have watched the video "let's plays" or whatever in full screen mode, high def and instinctively tried to click on something in the video as if you're playing it yourself? I know I have ;).

Click? I direct the mouse thinking the screen will move sometimes.

What the heck kind of criticism is this?

"The Bad:
Not all content from previous expansion is included."

I guess the lack of some GK content in BNW makes the expansion more lackluster.

Still a 9.5 from GameSpot is pretty good. If that's the only bad thing he could find then it's more good than bad.

Wow, this is a review I trust. I think gamespot's tastes in strategy games are excellent (they're one of the only "major" gaming sites that really look at things such as balance and depth on higher level gameplay). A 9.5 is pretty impressive.

For comparison: Vanilla and G&K got 9.0s each. (Gamespot is also known to be generous with reviews for strategy/adventure games, so a 9.0 for a strategy game isn't really saying all that much). But, relatively, it seems like BNW really made some good changes to the Civ structure.

:goodjob:

How many of you have watched the video "let's plays" or whatever in full screen mode, high def and instinctively tried to click on something in the video as if you're playing it yourself? I know I have ;).

Phew, glad I'm not the only one that does this ;-).

Aussie.

What the heck kind of criticism is this?

"The Bad:
Not all content from previous expansion is included."

It's kinda reasonable in some ways. I was actually wondering what from G&K is included (religion is, I guess? or maybe it isnt?).

This is an issue I always have with games that have multiple expansions or "DLC" that are pretty much the same thing. If I'm not an early adopter then I end up shelling out an absolute huge pile of cash all in one go if I want the complete game. And I think we all agree that Civ 5 by itself isn't exactly a great civ game? Currently I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying the bundle edition of Skyrim to get all the DLC even though I already own Skyrim because it's cheaper than buying those three expansions separately. Civ 5 already / also has this issue with its own mass of DLC Civs making the game less and less accessible to new players with each piece of added pay-content.

It's kinda reasonable in some ways. I was actually wondering what from G&K is included (religion is, I guess? or maybe it isnt?).

Is it really though?

The most important things from G&K are included in BNW:

-Religion
-Espionage
-Tech tree changes
-City-state interactions and types
-Combat system changes
-Social Policy changes (though since then it has changed dramatically)
-Resources

Point is, the reviewer's biggest gripe is that the 9 civs and 3 scenarios from G&K weren't included. Really? That's the one problem? Everyone has their opinion I guess

Click? I direct the mouse thinking the screen will move sometimes.

I guess the lack of some GK content in BNW makes the expansion more lackluster.

Still a 9.5 from GameSpot is pretty good. If that's the only bad thing he could find then it's more good than bad.

A 9.5 from Gamespot is actually phenomenal. They've come a long way since firing Gerstmann. They are generally a harder rater, giving Last of Us 15 points lower than the Metacritic.

What I was greatly impressed with in my 30 hours in the expansion (logged thousands of hours in vanilla Civ 5 and Gods and Kings) was the way they seamlessly improved the culture with tourism and made it and diplomacy viable options for victory.

I loved the new trade system but I think it needs tweaking a bit. There really needs to be an option to automatically renew the route.

Barbarians seem stronger. The AI doesn't seem improved as they still don't know how to defend a naval assault. The AI is MUCH MORE aggressive at expansion though.

Starting locations in my 4 games were all odd, as each time I had 2 other capitals within 6-7 hexes of mine (with an ocean on one side in three of them). I found it curious that for an expansion that focuses so much on culture and diplomacy, putting cities this close to each other on large continents was a recipe for early and continual war. It might have just been a coincidence, but just giving you my experience from what I played.

Let me pile on quickly and agree that I think you got the city hex boundaries wrong, but otherwise wrote a very substantive and helpful review. I'm glad to hear the barbs raid trade routes, as I'd rather be forced to build a navy. It does sound like auto-renews of a trade route should be part of the game. And the Ai's increased aggressiveness - probably necessary given how they are also more likely to see the value of agreements - is one reason why the AI expands the way it does. I'm curious to see whether it's challenging... or oppressive.

Ai more aggressive at expansion? Ugh, it was already so bad. They send off settlers to build cities EVERYWHERE and then get angry at you for expanding your borders near them. I wish they would not settle so much.

Le sigh. If these bribed lackeys say that the AI 'leaves something to be desired', I shudder to think about its true state. Oh well I already bought the expansion... And how much worse could the AI be than it already is? But if the whole trade route business 'has a learning curve' for humans then how must it be for the AI who is a slew of algorithms utterly incapable of learning... :sad:

You would hope the humans that made those algorithms already got over the learning curve before they started coding.

Aussie site games on net has this up:

http://games.on.net/2013/07/civilization-v-brave-new-world-reviewed-finally-the-system-works/

Phew, glad I'm not the only one that does this ;-).

Aussie.

Oh my god yes. I've clicked on cities, moved the cursor, tried to do all sorts of stuff. I always feel silly hahaha.

Goddamn I can't wait until Friday (an Aussie) am definitely looking forward to giving the trade system a crack. Also I'll be ramping up the difficulty for this to see how it goes.

These reviewers are over-rating the game. I would give it 6 or 7 out of 10 at best. With the new trade system its almost impossible to kill your neighbor, even if he settles your land since 3-4 military units and your gonna run out of gold. The culture per policy still costs too much, honor is still useless, multiplayer still crashes too much, piety is useless still when compared to Liberty/Tradition, the tech tree wasn't re-organized, and the combat is still all about the composite bowmen. Those are just some of the problems.

Though these reviewers aren't noticing them because they don't put time in the game, they quickly play against the AI at a low difficulty setting and then write their review after 20 or so turns.

The biggest problem I always had with both Civ IV and V was that I found the end game too boring. I loved setting up my empire into a winning position, but once I had the rest of the game became boring.

A lot of the reviews say that this is the main thing thats been addressed, and the end game is now much more enjoyable, so I cant wait to try that.

I have to really question whether the reviewers have the understanding that, say, MadDjinn does about the game.

They don't. They play all kinds of games and have played a few games of BNW. MadDjinn (if I remember right) mainly plays Civ, so he doesn't have to look at "Ooh, I like this. Is this new in the expansion?"; he just knows. He knows things that the reviewers don't know and don't know how to find out; stuff like AI flavors, what some of the vaguer text means, et cetera.

On a different topic, we have a bunch of smilies and every Civ/Expansion logo from Civ III to G+K. Is BNW on the way?

I agree with the "more money than you can spend". . . literally. I had taken London and turned it into a trade hub with 6 cargo ships trading with city states. I'm sitting on 2000+ gold and buying late game buildings and paying off city states like it's nothing. . . this is on King too, which is my normal mode.

Top Bottom