Deity CV Challenge: Polynesia/Archipelago

Hey, guys! There's been a little chatter (not enough, frankly!) about the mighty Head-Builders so I thought I'd post an entry-level'ish Deity Polynesia challenge. Goal is a conquest-free CV (though, hell, if you want to beat people up, go for it!). This start locale has a couple of good things going for it that you don't always get on an archipelago map -- ditto surrounding area.

I'll be interested to see where people settle/how many cities they build/what their peak Tourism is. Not to mention whether people managed to get to a couple of key spots before I did ... there were two spots I wanted to settle that I missed by two turns for each of them :mad:. Still got a turn ~300 CV, but I'm confident that you guys can do better! :goodjob:

EDIT: Posted the wrong game -- though the one I posted has advantages of its own ... this one is more fun, though, moia-wise.

Attachments

• 0ldAutoSave_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    879.2 KB · Views: 110
Le Screen Shot -- updated (doesn't look like much, might want to march south a couple turns, come back north later on.)

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    Civ5Screen0003.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 695
Naturally, I accept your challenge. :p (my favorite civ and my favorite VC? Many thanks!)

Naturally, I accept your challenge. :p (my favorite civ and my favorite VC? Many thanks!)

Ain't Polynesia awesome? It's too bad that 95% of the discussion on these boards is Pangea ...

BTW, also curious what you get your tourism up to in your cap ...

Bud -- sorry, looks like I posted the game where you have waddled south a turn already. The attached should be from turn 0. (I recommend waddling, though!)

Attachments

• 0ldAutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    724.3 KB · Views: 82
Challenge complete! Just under 270 turns. (would've been much faster if I didn't have the habit of building music guilds/buying GMs too late... could've won this maybe 10-20 turns earlier if I would've DoW'd Cathy and snuck my GMs in... but that wouldn't have made for as beautiful a finish... after all the "rules" kinda say to go peaceful anyway)

and I'm glad I didn't listen to you to move south :lol: the north half of the island with all the crabs galore, was much better...
On starts like these you need to pick up optics before philo, and compass before edu... and spam Moai like crazy once you get those 3 food ships to the capitol

Spoiler :

If I detour to optics I usually won't get philo in time to get Hagia so I gave up on religion altogether... but suddenly lo and behold Mt Sinai on an uninhabited island... and then... GBR to the west! :lol: One with Nature it is... Annoying however that Portugal was able to send a missionary to my west city, robbing me of +8 faith/turn for a really long time until I got a 3rd prophet out.

Spoiler :

My religion...

Spoiler :

Around here I knew I had the CV in the bag. I have submarine tech to defend myself, my faith and culture are high and tech lead.

Spoiler :

After internet and airports... would you believe I lost world fair to Dora and didn't get Sistine, Pisa, Uffizi, etc. not even Oracle... and my first world wonder was PT? Nonetheless... 700+ tpt from those heads :lol: No need for Olympics here...

Spoiler :

Final tpt is 881 after CN tower. A glorious peaceful victory!!!!

Spoiler :

I think the map type really hurt the AI... a lot of them started in tundra and hence some cities were stuck in their teens even at t200+... except for Russia, all the AIs techs were really slow when compared to Pangaea... on the other hand I had an amazing game where I finished Rat and still had policies to spare. Full trad full rat full aes freedom 6 explore 2 commerce opener

Spoiler :

Poor Hiawatha :lol: I needed to finish Cathy off somehow so I relied on splash damage from 4x 8800 strength GMs sent to him... a few more turns and he would've been dominated culturally (meaning my recruits would act like special agents in all his many allied CS).

No war except DoW on CS for a single worker before I met anyone (hence no blemish on my name). Friends or friendly with everyone pretty much except autocratic Cathy who decided she was jealous of my CS and wonders and denounced me... landmarks really do help in boosting diplo.

Bottom line: Better than Brazil, better than France, better than even Poland and Maya... Polynesia is definitely the strongest peaceful CV civ on archipelago. You can miss out on all the medieval/renaissance wonders and the heads will still bring victory home.

Nice! I can never get to ~600bpt by turn 200 on Archipelago -- just because of your uber-cap, probably? I didn't get mine that big -- maybe too many external trade routes.

What tourism did you get to in your cap? I hit 596, as I recall, 1100+ for the whole Civ -- you could have had more in yours if you'd done a little more plowing, of course, but this wasn't a time where you needed it.

Also -- no God of the Sea as Pantheon? Stolen by the time you hit your first religious ruin?
Also -- starting build order, approximately? Curious, do you do the uber-scout generation?

Nice! I can never get to ~600bpt by turn 200 on Archipelago -- just because of your uber-cap, probably? I didn't get mine that big -- maybe too many external trade routes.

What tourism did you get to in your cap? I hit 596, as I recall, 1100+ for the whole Civ -- you could have had more in yours if you'd done a little more plowing, of course, but this wasn't a time where you needed it.

hmmm I'm sure it was more than yours but I don't have the winning save (didn't save it unfortunately); however here's an autosave 9 turns from ending... (CN tower would give me +3 more base from cultural heritage sites or so) but here it is already over 600
Spoiler :

Also -- no God of the Sea as Pantheon? Stolen by the time you hit your first religious ruin?
Also -- starting build order, approximately? Curious, do you do the uber-scout generation?

Dora took it (quite pissed initially) before I was pondering whether or not to go shrine after my 3rd scout. That simplified the decision. (did not get any religious ruins at all unfortunately, but Mt. Sinai solved the problem)

Starting:
3xscout, granary, worker (rush-chopped with a stolen one), library, work boat x3, lighthouse, archer, and I think cargo ship (sent for CS quest) or settler don't remember which one first..., sent first settler way south to Sinai while NC is built and sent a worker after him. Rush bought 2nd settler to settle the south half of the island after NC. Then while I was nearing 30 faith for my pantheon, discovered GBR so sent a settler there.

Tech: Pottery, Mining, Writing, Sailing, Optics, Archery, Calendar, Philo, Animal Husbandry, Wheel, Compass, etc. to education. Then to workshops/moai. Entered Renaissance from stealing navigation from Portugal.

Really tough as a lot of wondermongers here and runaway Russia actually completed Taj Mahal while I was done with Acoustics! (I was praying she wouldn't open Rat... and she didn't so I built PT)... and then I dunno why but she kinda imploded after she Dow'd Japan and stopped running away technologically... I guess she ran out of GS to bulb :lol: or maybe it was just me catching up because I started running exclusively food ships a few dozen turns ago.

Thing with Archi is that you don't NEED external routes if you can make your capitol or trade hub attractive enough; just make sure you have a harbor/market and your capitol is the biggest boy in the region... your neighbors will send you their ships automatically. I ran 3 food ships to cap and one each from cap to my 3 satellites. I was still making around 70 gpt while I did not have an outside route (except for early game beakers) until my 7th route and then until I was going for the kill culturally (at that point my capitol was already saturated and new citizens were just working coast tiles so I pulled a few ships off)

I'm jealous, trying to figure out how you got your Tourism in the cap so high -- +3 culture per WW, maybe? I'll have to look at my save, not sure that ever got passed.

Following the instruction, I played a peaceful game. I really wanted to galleass (those can travel ocean!) rush and frigates to "finish".

Nothing special about this play. Went for 4 city tradition, teched to archaeology, oxford radio, hotel tech and beeline plastic, beeline internet, went for airport tech next.

SP: full tradition - secularism - aesthetics - order

Messed up a lot at the end - forgot to build national hotel before internet, for example...

So did you fail? ^
other people passed the campaign. That's a good cultural win btw.

I really like the idea of this challenge, but I'm missing some DLC so I can't play it.

Undeterred, I started my own game with the same settings. It was going well till about turn 300 or so. At the point I was going to concert tour my last rival, three of the four remaining players delcared war simultaneously. Now I'm facing a wall of nuclear subs, carriers and units coming in from all directions. Persia is building spaceship parts and has an insane amount of culture too. I'm only 45% unfluential over them while I'm over 100% with everyone else. 1200 science per turn and finished Internet on turn 280 I think. About 700 tourism per turn now.

Top Bottom