Immortal Alphabet Game 19 - Harun al Rashid

hiawafer

Warlord
Here is s a new map to play with religion.

You should try to make a science or culture victory.

Here are the acheivments:

• I - Take every policy of Piety OR finish a science game before turn 230 = = = > 5 points
  • II - Build Stonehenge, Haghia Sophia, Borbudor, great Mosqe, leanig tower of Pisa or Great Library* = = = > 1 point each except * = 2 points
  • III - Convert 5 of the enemys to your religion = = = > 10 points
  • IV - Conquer 2 of the enemys (capitols) = = = > 3 points
  • V - climb tourisme to over 1000 OR climb science to over 1800 = = = > 5 points

Here is the picture of the first turn:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• arabia.Civ5Save
    516 KB · Views: 186
T108 defeat.

Ugh, this map. Long time forum lurker, finally decided to figure out how to save and load one of these files. I like Arabia and this map looked great, so thought I'd give it a try. Usually about 50/50 on immortal maps, only ever beaten Diety once, so even a strong map is a challenge. Had a great start....but

Spoiler :
God, quadruple DOW!!!!. Founded in place, 2nd city by Uluru, 3rd city on the coast to the east. Went Tradition opener, then piety down the line. 1st religion, then enhanced after only 1 other person founded. Missed Stonehenge by 2 turns. Stole 1 worker from Pocatello, another from a CS.
Right around Nat'l College France asks me to fight Shaka with him. I'm not stupid so I say no. Then Shaka asks me to fight France, and again I say no. Have about 6-7 archers, 2 warriors and a spearman give or take between the 3 cities. Shortly after, they make peace and both DOW me. Most of my troops are over by the Shoshone as they forward settled me and I assume are still mad about the worker, so I send them over to help fight off shake and napoleon, and of course, Pocatello declares war.
I'm doing OK as the Uluru city is in a very defensible spot and Shaka isn't really throwing his best at me, so I think I'll make it through when the 1st Swedish swordsman shows up on my border. I pray he's just looking around, when a couple spearmen and catapults show up by my capital. Needless to say they smelled weakness and I didn't have any troops left to defend the capital, so it was over quickly.

will try again tonight.

t157
Spoiler :
One of the slowest starts I've ever had - went with Piety first, rather than Liberty, because, well, why not? :crazyeye: 3 in Commerce now. I just cranked out Settlers from my pop 3 capital forever, with a few Archers now and then. Expos did Archers after Monuments, then prioritized Shrines and Temples over anything else. Still only 3 Unis, still some Aqueducts to build, no Workshops yet. No Guilds or Gardens. Major derpage. Except a really early Itin Preach spreads like the Spanish Flu.

It's been a long time since I played Arabia - you have so much to build before Renn. Bazaars and pre-build ChArchers for UA. Gpt has been off the charts, although it's hard to sell horsies, this map has more than I recall seeing before.

Fpt has been enormous, of course. Rel Idols, Tithe, Itin Preach, Pagodas and Mosques, really blew Reformation by taking Evangelism - I have barely used any Missionaries and I have 33/48 cities converted mainly from pressure.

Stole a Worker from Poc and stayed in his face a long time to get XP and settle wide. Finally made peace to trade with him, got Te-Moak (Sugar) in peace, happy has been hard all game. Pretty poor Mil score, never higher than 4th, but once CA's came online it was time to take on Shaka, who had really hurt Nappy. I was very surprised at how quickly Shaka melted - not many Walls and 4 CA's kill an Impi vs 5-6 XBs. Took Lyon (razing) and Troyes (liberate) in peace, Nappy is going to be relevant again. I kept 2 French cities on the road to Ulundi. I'm razing Lyon to hamper Nappy a bit - thought about selling it, maybe to Captain Underpants, still might.

Poc has stayed peevish, and Gus is now taunting me - bribed them to fight now, but it would be really fun to try to clear the map. But I like the double lux too much, DOF with Underpants and USA, and Ash is always a good partner when far away. I am hoping Shaka spams a few more cities in the blank space - he has really helped spread my religion, only Ulundi has his own, which I will kill off soon. Likely to take Moson Kahini before Victory, it's cut off from his other cities. If Gus starts wiping him out I will likely DOW him before he gets his UU's. I have 9 CA's, I built 3 Horsemen to take cities, but was gifted a Knight, so upgraded 2 Horsemen. Only 7 XB to guard 10 cities. :rolleyes:

Spoiler :

I was playing in turn 215 when my game crashed and wont reload. :(

Spoiler :
I had finished Liberty, Piety and Aesthetics, and was climbing towards the end of Freedom. I estimmate I win around 245 or T250 with the inernational games.

in my game I made 7 cities and got a lot of faith. I made eaerly war with Pocatello, stole all his workers and settlers and took his city really early. I amde sure I let one of his settlers make a terrible 2nd city just before I captive.

He got my religion, and Polynesia and France and Zulu and Sweden. I used Pilgriamge for a lot of faith. Reformation was Jesuit Education. The other players were in wars the whole time. Hardly had to bribe them.

I made most of the wonders, got archelogy very early and decided for a fast finish rather than high tourism otherwise it would jsut be waiting for nothing.

Because of faith I knew that I could have a LOTT of musicians and I needed only 200ish tourism,

too bad I couldnt finish the game.

good luck to others

Nice starting position. I might have played it if it were a Deity map. Arabia on Immortal is Easy Mode :D

T214 Domination Victory

Strategy was four city tradition, then...KILL EVERYONE WITH CAMELS!!!

In hindsight, I could have done it much faster if I had...MADE MOAR CAMELS!!!

Anyway, I found this to be an extremely enjoyable map. So, thank you for posting it.

T301 Science Victory

Not a great time by comparison to many of you, but some of the times you guys post just amaze me. Came within 2 turns of my 1st pre-300 science win, but I'll take it anyway. Game went much differently than my 1st try. Had 61 cities following my religion by the end. Best I've ever done with that.
Got lucky
Spoiler :
finding el dorado first

At war with the Western neighbor from early on due to a Worker swipe, that didn't end for 100 turns and with cities 4, 5 and 6 added to the empire. Picked a fight with the Eastern neighbor because the rabid one asked for help against them, and I would rather they had someone else to hate other than me. This resulted in a white peace that immediately turned into a DoF. Northern neighbor thought he could catch me napping while I was otherwise busy and sent a whole lot of targets for Chariot Archers. Thanks! Around Turn 120 it was just a matter of Next Turns to a Science victory. I thought about heading North to add another capital.

Chariot Archers into Camel Archers is a tried-and-true tactic, and is the only time I beeline Chivalry.

T312 Culture Victory

Spoiler :
Not super fast, but I'm still pretty new to immortal. This was my first immortal CV.

I went Liberty -> Piety -> Aesthetics and then Freedom. Got off to a pretty fast start (for me). I settled 3 cities, built Oracle, used Liberty finisher for Pyramids, then hard built NC finishing on T82. After that I went straight for Camels. I took Pocatello's capital and three French cities. After that I fought a kind of pointless war against Shaka. I didn't take any of his cities but his Impis provided lots of experience for my Camels. Around T200 Pocatello and Gustavus both DOWed me and kind of took me by surprise. Luckily I had enough gold to rush buy some meat shields and along with my logistics camels I held them off fairly easily. After that it was just getting to internet to finish off the CV.

A couple of things I learned:

- I don't really know what I'm doing with religion. I pretty much always just take Tithe and Pagodas/Mosques. I don't know how to effectively spread a religion or what the benefits of spreading even are. Any tips on this? Also, what should you do when you capture the holy city of a competing religion? Is there a way to stop that religion from spreading so that yours can spread more easily?

- Camel archers are amazing and I should have gotten more use out of them. When I was still using them as effective defensive units around T235 I realized that I should have just taken over half the world (or more) with them.

Thanks for the fun map!

t297 SV, 25 pts
Spoiler :
Thanks for the game, haiwafer, it was pretty interesting!

I - Take every policy of Piety OR finish a science game before turn 230 = = = > 5 points
5 pts, full Piety early
II - Build Stonehenge, Haghia Sophia, Borbudor, great Mosqe, leanig tower of Pisa or Great Library* = = = > 1 point each except * = 2 points
2 pts, GMoD and LToP, I got beat by a few turns on several
III - Convert 5 of the enemys to your religion = = = > 10 points
10 pts, 89 cities converted, only 1 SE civ's city didn't have my religion, and in a turn or two it would have flipped as well. Pretty amazing religious pressure considering I did not do much conquest.
IV - Conquer 2 of the enemys (capitols) = = = > 3 points
3 pts, immediate NE and NW capitals. Getting a developed city from the SW neighbor in an early peace deal really hampered him, as he was never able to have a road/harbor network to his capital.
V - climb tourisme to over 1000 OR climb science to over 1800 = = = > 5 points
5 pts, 2081 bpt without Scholasticism or even running GS slots in half my cities (wanted more growth/tiles with Order mines).

Spoiler :
There was lots of warfare, USA could not be bribed, but really took it to his neighbors, killing off Shaka. Had I not blocked him he would have steamrolled Nappy. I could not bribe USA or Ash to fight, and USA DOW'd Ash just before I won - I found that odd, I would have imagined more tension. Captain Underpants took out Sweden near the end, I slowed him down a tad, even without open borders with Sweden. They were the two big shots. USA went Freedom but got flipped to Underpants' Autrocracy, but then after I passed WI-Order he flipped again. I don't recall a strong civ flipping twice, ever.

This game was full of unusual play for me, some noted in my first post. I GE'd Ironworks, then hard-built Sistine, a first. From pretty early on I decided to do an Order SV, so it was all about mines/production, and food to work mines. My cap was undersized the entire game, under the turns/10/pop ratio, also a first.

Crushed WF, and USA only put in 22 hammers, even without being at war and having the most production. Ash built HG on t215 - I didn't realize it hadn't been built! Everybody went Liberty except me. Full Piety, Rat, Commerce, 8 in Order, Patronage opener at end. Rat is such overkill on Immortal. I was so behind due to Piety start and low pop that I justified it. :lol: Keeping good relations for trade, combined with Bazaars, Commerce, and Theocracy was pretty sweet. I hate gimping UB's and such through game play choices, as continual war would have been easy and satisfying, if not tedious at some point...

Spoiler :

I don't really know what I'm doing with religion. I pretty much always just take Tithe and Pagodas/Mosques. I don't know how to effectively spread a religion or what the benefits of spreading even are. Any tips on this? Also, what should you do when you capture the holy city of a competing religion? Is there a way to stop that religion from spreading so that yours can spread more easily?

When youve captured the enemy capital that is a Holy City, wait until the revolt is over, then annex, then use one of your own Inquisitors. Then, if necessary, use missionaries or propeht to boost your own religion in it. Voila, that religion is fading. Bewar though that other cities that still have that other religion will exude pressure.

When youve captured the enemy capital that is a Holy City, wait until the revolt is over, then annex, then use one of your own Inquisitors.
Why wait? Why annex? Inquisitor works in a puppet city. Only point I can see if you want to faith purchase building before or after burning the Inquisitor. Also, if you the captured has the wonder that gives GPr 5 uses, that would worth annexing for.

After the Inquisitor burn, use your GPr spreads on surrounding cities. You might not need to use a GPr spread on the former Holy City that way.

Why wait? Why annex? Inquisitor works in a puppet city. Only point I can see if you want to faith purchase building before or after burning the Inquisitor. Also, if you the captured has the wonder that gives GPr 5 uses, that would worth annexing for.

After the Inquisitor burn, use your GPr spreads on surrounding cities. You might not need to use a GPr spread on the former Holy City that way.

Stopping a Holy City's Pressure and Removing a Religion from the World
You must Annex a Holy City to permanently remove a Religion from the game.

http://www.carlsguides.com/strategy/civilization5/religion/convertingandreligiouspressure.php

And it was true in my experience too.

You might think that is your experience, but that is not correct. Next time, use an inquisitor on a puppeted holy city -- holy city status goes "poof" and never returns (even if the city is reconverted to its original religion).

Note that if the holy city's religion has taken the Unity of the Prophets reformation belief, holy city status apparently can never be completely eliminated (whether you puppet or annex the holy city), no matter how many inquisitors you use.

That it is too bad that this authoritative looking article was never corrected about this detail. Browd is a much better authority!

That author also says at the end (emphasis added):
I've tested removing a Holy City's Pressure without me owning the City by using a Great Prophet to Spread there, with all surrounding Cities providing over 67 pressure per turn for my Religion. Inevitably, the other Religion will begin to make a comeback, though if done properly you will not see it rise as the majority belief in that City again as they will only be able to make Missionaries for your Religion.
Here, he is comparing a city controlled by the AI to the situation (of the previous few paragraphs) where the player has conquered the AI Holy City. It is not incorrect, but not very helpful either, as the context is so different. The second line I bolded is technically correct too, but again is a misdirection, and is totally irrelevant. The AI will just use their own GPr to convert back their Holy City! Players (that founded, AI and human) can faith purchase GPr in any city that has a religion, and the GPr will be of the religion that the player founded.

The mistake is repeated in the comment section, where the author in his first reply asserts (again, emphasis added:
You have to have control over the City to use Remove Heresy, so I specified that it must be Annexed.
Yes, you have the control the city. No, it need not be annexed. Anyone can affirm for themselves that “Remove Heresy” is an option for an Inquisitor stationed in a puppet city. The prompt does not change when the puppet city happens to be a Holy City. I have done this many times.

Well then we must have different versions of the game, because Holy status doesnt dissapear unless I annex

Nope. Just inquisitor to remove holy city character and their followers. If the city won't have enough of your followers after the inquisitor does his thing, you can hit the city with a GP, but adding your followers is a separate issue from removing holy city character.

I got into this game after a long break from civ 5. This map was pretty cool, and at some points quite challenging. I surely made some mistakes that got me in trouble at some point in the game.
The strategy was to have a cultural victory, and in the end I managed to perform it without even a single concert tour. That is also partly because I wanted to have over 1000 tourism and need to finish NVC in time.

I think I got most of the points:

I - Take every policy of Piety OR finish a science game before turn 230 = = = > 5 points
5 points - finished piety at some point in the game in the industrial era I think.

II - Build Stonehenge, Haghia Sophia, Borbudor, great Mosqe, leanig tower of Pisa or Great Library* = = = > 1 point each except * = 2 points
5 points - Stonehenge, Hagia Sophia, Borbuddor, great Mosque and LToP

III - Convert 5 of the enemys to your religion = = = > 10 points
I don't know if I get the points for this. Technically I converted 5 enemies but 2 of them did not survive to the end. I had:
Spoiler :
Shoshone, France, Sweden (got eliminated), Zulu (got eliminated) and Assyria all converted. In the end Polynesia had it's original religion just in the holy city, and America had it's own religion but not in the majority of cities (my religion was in more than half of their cities, but that is only because they conquered a lot of Assyrian cities).

IV - Conquer 2 of the enemys (capitols) = = = > 3 points
3 points :
Spoiler :
Shoshone and Sweden

V - climb tourisme to over 1000 OR climb science to over 1800 = = = > 5 points
5 points, I actually had both, 1076 tourism and 1818 science

So 18 points i think.

Spoiler :
I started with liberty left side and managed to settle 4 cities pretty fast. I rushed Stonehenge before building any settlers, and I also managed to build the Pyramids between the 2nd and 3rd setter. Then I went for piety until reformation and got to the glory of god (I only used it once for a faith both GE). The religion was pretty important to my gameplay, with Stonehenge and Uluru settled I had a strong position. I got Religious Idols as pantheon for extra faith and culture, Tithe, Holy Warriors, Religious Center and Itinerant Preachers. Holy Warriors allowed me to rush an army while still building infrastructure and wonders. There were never any gold problems, partly to tithe, partly to all that silver that was around.

After Philosophy I beelined theology to get the wonders, I managed to self build Hagia Sophia and the Great Mosque, and I rushed Borbudor with a natural born GE. Then Printing Press for LToP. I got LToP and with a GE from it also had Globe Theater.

As soon as I researched Chivalry I upgraded all my faith bot chariot archers, and started buying more with the banked faith. I easily took out half of the Shoshone empire and 2 Swedish cities. After that I stopped, and that was a mistake because things got pretty dangerous in the end, the Shoshone recovered quite well and were very strong, attacking me 2 times. France became very strong and it became harder and harder to bribe them.

I spent the rest of the game developing the cities I conquered building wonders in the core cities, and avoiding war. I even got a city from America that flipped right at the last turn. In the end I had a huge number of wonders, very unusual for an Immortal game. I had: Stonehenge, Pyramids, Oracle, Hagia Sophia, Borobudur, Great Mosque of Djene, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Globe Theater, Sistine Chapel, Taj Mahal, Uffizy, Statue of Liberty and Cristo Redentor just in the capital. Then Porcelain Tower, Eiffel Tower, Neuschwainsten and Sidney Opera house in other cities. Plus the conquered ones: Alhambra, Machu Pichu, Terracotta Army and Great Lighthouse. That was a lot of tourism especially with Cultural Heritage Sites.

Policy wise I went: liberty left side, piety to reformation, the another 2 in liberty to get representation, rationalism 2, then went back to finish piety and start on aesthetics. With the world fair and by bulbing a writer I managed to finish aesthetics and put 2 more into rationalism. For ideology I got freedom and got the tenets that helped with happiness and culture, I ended up having 6 into ideology.
The plan was to finish liberty late to get a GM for it, but I never got to perform concert tours because by the time I build all the tourism buildings and NVC it was too late. I just got a great artist and used it to increase tourism a little bit.

Attachments

• 20160821185706_1.jpg
    20160821185706_1.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 20160821185734_1.jpg
    20160821185734_1.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 20160821185752_1.jpg
    20160821185752_1.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 129
Top Bottom