Rate the Beliefs - part I: Pantheon beliefs

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing about Sacred Path? Sure one culture a turn for a space is pretty good, but isn't it going to typically be an otherwise-unimproved tile? Aren't you better off working a different space (until late in the game)?

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing about Sacred Path? Sure one culture a turn for a space is pretty good, but isn't it going to typically be an otherwise-unimproved tile? Aren't you better off working a different space (until late in the game)?

The culture is available immediately and if you are in jungle, you usually have a lot of jungle, so you get a lot of culture. It's the strongest if you have some resources in your jungle like Bananas and Citrus, because you will be working them anyway. You don't want to pick Oral Tradition in that scenario because it takes far, far longer to get any benefits from that. And you don't really care about chopping some jungle later, because you get so much culture early on to power you through the initial policies.

Does anyone know the mechanics of god of war? Does a bomber leaving from base killing a target far away consider as winning a battle at base? If it does then god of war is godly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I resurrected this because I was thinking about a) BNW beliefs and b) how the pantheon relate to game speed.

On a marathon game you will get much more benefit from a 1 per turn benefit than on standard/quick. However I guess most of the beliefs are a 1 pt type, so it is probably won't change the relative usefulness.

Also I do like god-king, I know it is not scaleable, but it does bring balanced benefits, i.e. a bit of everything rather than focussed in one direction.

Any reliable faith generation pantheon means great persons in the modern era. Do not dismiss this! It's not only getting to the first and second GP to get the better beliefs, it's also later the difference between winning or losing a Cultural or Science victory.

Faith:

Desert Folklore: 6 (It works on floodplains, thus it's overpowered)

Dance of the Aurora: 4 (it's great but tundra doesn't get so many bonus resources to compensate. Tundra also is mixed in with snow which is horrible. Also, there is no Petra. Also, it's bad to chop down the forests in camp tiles since trapping can be used on forest tiles)

Stone Circles: 5 plains rarely get enough stone and marble to qualify, plus you can't build a quarry on plains. Deserts do get them, but DF is OP so you won't consider this. But for grassland starts with 3+quarries near your capital OR 2 near the capital and 2-3 near potential expansion spots, this is great and can provide awesome religion and great persons.

Religious Idols: 5 It makes tiles you will want to work anyway even better. Absolutely worth it with 3 gold/silver near the cap or 4-5 in the general area.

Tears of the Gods: 5 Gem starts are rare. It's also frequent that gems are covered in Jungle. Fortunately the tile does not need to be improved. A Gem resource under jungle will provide nice early game boosts. Gem resources are clustered in clumps of 2 and 3, so scout actively to see if you have more than one spot wich can make use of this. If you only have pearls it will probably not be worth it as pearls come in clumps of 1-2.

God of War: most of your warfare will happen off border. Nearly useless. Especially since upkeep and 1upt means you will not kill enough enemies to make this viable.

One with Nature 6 for Spain, 4 for the rest. It makes sense to do some math here and consider against what possible other pantheons you are judging this. How many workable tiles you will have of x or y pantheon, related to the (probably 1) NW tile which will give 4 faith per turn from this. It becomes a solid 5 if you have 2 NWs in your borders. Spain makes this OP as hell.

Growth and food pantheons mean an early jumpstart to your capital, more science, more tiles worked etc. They can snowball quickly. 5 deer or 4 wheat starts are rare, but not more rare than gems or salt. So it is definitely an option, especially if you reroll a lot.

Sun God: 5 if you have more than 3 of said resources or if your expansion spots have at least 1.

Goddess of the Hunt:5 Great if you start in campland. Deer can be clumped along with truffles and fur. I've had a 4 deer, 2 truffles and 1 fur start as Portugal. Extremely OP early on. Again, count the tiles near your capital and near potential expansion spots.

Fertility Rites: 3 This is the second most prioritized pantheon after Goddess of Protection from the BNW Deity AI. You will have to be lucky to get it. It will usually contribute much less in the early game than either of the two above, unless you have a humongous food production, you go tradition and you manage to nab the Hanging Gardens and/or Temple of Artemis (which are also highly sought after by Deity AI, so good luck). Early and midgame flat bonuses are better than percentages, and late game doesn't matter as much. It's better to have a size 16 city instead of a size 12 at turn 110 than having a size 42 instead of 39 at turn 220.

Will continue writeup for production and culture.

Top Bottom