Total Warhammer

Sal

Warlord
Anyone out there bought or playing Total War: Warhammer?

I have read a few reviews that look very promising. I have not played any of the TW series since the very first Shogun, but I am intrigued by this one as I used to play Games Workshop games as a kid.

One thing a couple of reviews highlighted was the shallowness of the strategic layer.

I'd like to know the thoughts anyone from the Civ community has on the game?

Anyone out there bought or playing Total War: Warhammer?

I have read a few reviews that look very promising. I have not played any of the TW series since the very first Shogun, but I am intrigued by this one as I used to play Games Workshop games as a kid.

One thing a couple of reviews highlighted was the shallowness of the strategic layer.

I'd like to know the thoughts anyone from the Civ community has on the game?

It's a really good game. I put over 70 hours into it without thinking, and I've only played as two factions so far (on very hard mode). The game map pleasantly reminds me of Civ IV so I feel like I'm building a civilization also. It also has a wonderful atmosphere, like you're in the LOTR movies, the music never gets old to me.

Not to mention this is the first of three games.. it really scratched an itch I got from not playing Civ recently. And after seeing the cartoony/Revolution style of Civ 6, between Total War and Hearts of Iron IV I don't see why I'll ever go back to Civ to be honest. :/

It's a really good game. I put over 70 hours into it without thinking, and I've only played as two factions so far (on very hard mode). The game map pleasantly reminds me of Civ IV so I feel like I'm building a civilization also. It also has a wonderful atmosphere, like you're in the LOTR movies, the music never gets old to me.

Not to mention this is the first of three games.. it really scratched an itch I got from not playing Civ recently. And after seeing the cartoony/Revolution style of Civ 6, between Total War and Hearts of Iron IV I don't see why I'll ever go back to Civ to be honest. :/

Thanks, I actually got it after reading your post and have not regretted it! It is my first foray in the TW series and I am finding it pleasingly a lot deeper than I expected. the atmosphere also seems to strike a perfect balance between humour and drama, but that is Games Workshop for you.

Thanks, I actually got it after reading your post and have not regretted it! It is my first foray in the TW series and I am finding it pleasingly a lot deeper than I expected. the atmosphere also seems to strike a perfect balance between humour and drama, but that is Games Workshop for you.

Glad you like it! It's cool that the factions have a lot of depth to them to make them unique. I just picked up the gore DLC (I don't mind buying decent DLC for good games), since the next faction I'm playing as is the greenskins, it should be a lot of fun :D

The only quirks I had with the game is the use of the auto resolve feature, it's not always accurate and can be overpowered, I try to use it only when the battle result is quite obvious. Regarding save scumming, since I play on very hard and upwards, I have restarted campaigns many times - to offset that a little I try to keep a save every 50 turns that I can go back to. It's a bit fairer that way but not ridiculously so. I can maybe do without it in the future when I get better..

Looking forward to see what other factions they bring out soon!

I've had a few games now. The Empire are the most enjoyable I think. Good variety and a real challenge. Especially with the beastmen now there are attacks from all angles. I like the dwarf mechanics but tbh they are far too easy.

Thought beastmen was a weird choice of first dlc though when we don't even have elves or brettonia yet...

brettonia will be free dlc and wood elves are next paid dlc

Top Bottom