curved screens

paperhero2

Chieftain
I am looking to buy a new monitor. and was thinking about getting a curved screen monitor. I understand that a curved screen monitor would greatly help in first person shooter games, but since I play 75% of my games as strategy games such as xcom 2, civilization 6, or the total war series, would a curved screen help in the immersion of playing such strategy games?

I currently have a 40'' and 25'' flat screen. The 40'' is starting to give me problems. When I switched to the 25'' screen it was a big downgrade for me, so I am thinking a larger monitor would be better (larger than 40''). The largest curved screens are much smaller than the corresponding flat screens, and more expensive. So the question is do you recommend I get a very large curved screen, or a very large flat screen? I don't play against others online so the response time is not as important.

Perhaps visit a retail store to look at monitors in the 30-40 inch class. You mention that 25" feels too small. When I browsed some retail web sites, there seems to be large price difference between larged curved screens (bigger than 40") and smaller than 40". Also, consider the aspect ratio, what those extra pixels would be used for. Are you keeping other windows open, alongside the Civ6 or Xcom2? The big curved screens have LOTS more real estate horizontally, but not much more vertically.

It is an improvement when using large monitors. It might depend on how big the curve is, but mine isn’t noticeable and I only play strategy.

I have noticed one minor downside. I’d rather use a flat monitor for photoshop, blender and so on.

But I’ve never had a problem with games or movies - a curve improves that experience.

Having said that, the curve should point to your position. If you are getting a very large monitor where you sit far away, then I think a flat monitor is best.

I've got two 32" Dell screens that have a bit of a curve on them. I already had one with my old computer and when I upgraded last May I bought the second one. No problems with either one so far, and the screen resolution is teriffic. I will say though, that Windows 11 sucks with respect to letting you increase the font size of things like window titles and scroll bars, and they can look tiny on a new monitor. Come to think about it, even Windows 95 had more of that sort of stuff that you could tinker with than 11.
I don't know if I'd go for bigger screens, as I'd have to shove them right back off my desk to see the whole lot at one time.

On 32", Civ6 is good, I play on one screen and have the other open with a web browser and winamp or something bashing out tunes.
My screens are model # S3221QS if you feel like looking them up.

I am looking to buy a new monitor. and was thinking about getting a curved screen monitor. I understand that a curved screen monitor would greatly help in first person shooter games, but since I play 75% of my games as strategy games such as xcom 2, civilization 6, or the total war series, would a curved screen help in the immersion of playing such strategy games?

I currently have a 40'' and 25'' flat screen. The 40'' is starting to give me problems. When I switched to the 25'' screen it was a big downgrade for me, so I am thinking a larger monitor would be better (larger than 40''). The largest curved screens are much smaller than the corresponding flat screens, and more expensive. So the question is do you recommend I get a very large curved screen, or a very large flat screen? I don't play against others online so the response time is not as important.
What resolution do you play at on the 40"? 4K?

I suppose it depends on what you want; you want stuff bigger or do you want to see more stuff at once? Are you OK with the status bars and menus being small?

I recently got LG 34-inch 21:9 curved IPS UltraWide QHD (3440 × 1440)
I got it for work but yeah civ is very nice to play like that. I use maximum UI scaling.
One thing to note is that even though the resolution is like 1440p, it is much more taxing on the GPU due to extra horizontal pixels. So I have to turn down some settings on my AMD laptop with integrated graphics to get a smooth experience.

Top Bottom