V36

Well then "maybe" you shouldn't judge them. i, personally, having played this, many times, unplayably broken, although a hugest promise of a moddy-thingy, i can and will verify that although broken in many other ways in previous versions counting back from preV36 to V33, the tunnels are great way to connect lands with islands that are one or two moves away from each other. Plus, they evidently are realistic and relevant way to connect close land masses in modern+more 'advanced' times and i definitely see no reason whatsoever to have them removed.

The only Sea Tunnel I know about is - a tunnel between England and France, about 25+ miles only, "the channel tunnel".

So maybe sea tunnels should be restricted to ONE map tile only. Because on nearly every map a tile represents a far larger area then 25 miles.

Sea tunnels should not extend lots of tiles.

Sorry but I don't understand your question? The Option in BUG is always On and I'd have to start a new game to see what the default setting is. All I know is that setting it to 0 (unlimited) has a Hover over say it's not a recommend setting for "normal" game play. Now you tell me what is "normal" game play?

The default value for that option is 0 and since 0 means unlimited units the option is off by default.

Example: Do you think the AI as well as the player wants to spend 500+ :gold: to upgrade from Healer to Apothecary? Especially when the game makes you and the AI to build dozens of healers per city to combat disease by the time you can build Apothecaries. When it's just easier production wise to build several new Apothecaries and delete the old healers. Or keep all the promoted up healers even if it means by late med Era you have 30+ in your cities. And by Ren Era I've seen AI cities with 50+. And the same happens for the TW line too.

After my test play I can only say that upgrade cost of healing units is screwed. For example upgrading my Sherif to Police Car cost me 2.500 Gold (reasonable :)
and upgrading Surgeon to WWI Ambulance 12.500 Gold

After my test play I can only say that upgrade cost of healing units is screwed. For example upgrading my Sherif to Police Car cost me 2.500 Gold (reasonable :)

Must be Ambulance GTXX 999 Deluxe Titanium Thunder then.

Btw, it can be a huge and massive advantage to use totally free upgrades to all units during golden age.

The only Sea Tunnel I know about is - a tunnel between England and France, about 25+ miles only, "the channel tunnel".

So maybe sea tunnels should be restricted to ONE map tile only. Because on nearly every map a tile represents a far larger area then 25 miles.

Sea tunnels should not extend lots of tiles.

I kinda like the idea that at first player could only build one tile tunnels but after a certain tech ( maybe megastructure engineering or such ), he could make them longer. I don't know if game engine allows this but if not, i'm very happy with the current system. Tunnels are also quite expensive to make and easy to break.

With underwater cities, the tunnels could act as a highway system and could maybe be upgraded like roads. Hmmm... not bad.

Its not the stack size itself, its the total volume of units. Fewer units = less processing resources, fewer crashes and faster turn times which will lead to an easier playing of later eras as well.

I was using 'attack' size as simply an example. IMO there is no significant gain of building 50/100 unit stacks that you cant get from a 15 or 20 size stack.

It would also mean fewer city defenders just sitting in cities doing nothing but eating processing resources.

If thjs approach is taken then other factors would need to be tweeked. For example fewer uu per culture, more city defense % dmamged per siege, more effect per police and disease units/promos.

In short I'd rather see 25 units as a massive death stack than 100.
A few points to consider:
1) City Defenders take up very little processing as most of them simply take their seat in the city and pass pass pass. There's some, yes, but not much.

2) I get what you mean about memory usage being eaten up by a lot of units. Alberts2 and I have a lot of work to do to streamline unit data usage (while making room to add more for other projects) and make it possible to cycle around so that old and dead unit IDs get reused. That's a major project that sucks because nobody will really feel like anything is getting done because it won't appear to achieve anything (unless you would've otherwise hit a MAF.)

3) Size Matters does a pretty good job now of condensing units both for the player and for the AI but it does NOT do it in a memory saving fashion - though it DOES help for so many units processing their decisions. I will be doing some things to get it to at least be no worse than the standard game as far as mem costs and it has been improved this version.

4) The thing about stack sizes and stacks of doom and such is that war really begins at building military, not just when the war is announced. So when 2 nations are preparing for war against each other they're in a race to get not only better but MORE units than the opponent before they feel ready to strike. This is quite historically accurate really. And it's nearly impossible to make the AI SMART without giving them this motivation to try to get a volume edge up on their intended target before launching an invasion. This can end up with a lot more units than you'd think was necessary.

5) The WAY AIs build and measure their stack building needs does need some help because I believe at times it can become fractured and end up planting many seeds for many stacks unintentionally. I've seen some weirdness there that I'd like to try and address by some proposals I've made to UnitAI mechanisms.

6) Limiting stack size can never address this, only hinder the code from playing out the way it's designed and can inhibit the AI from ever feeling like they are ready to do anything warlike or to feel comfortable with their defenses... it can actually make them overbuild because they can never hit their target volume in their stacks, a target determined by measurements of assessed strength of the intended foe.

The unit movement is still too slow even with the changes i made to speed it up, there must be a simpler faster solution.
The healer production code in CvCityAI::AI_chooseHealerUnit is very slow how could that be simplyfied?

I can't see why BuildUps should slow things down at he moment.
1) Unit Movement is something I believe some things can be saved that actually help and don't inhibit the intention of the changes while there are other things that must be placed back to being grossly oversimplified for now. I have some ideas as to alternative ways to go about that for a second try but not to be attempted before v36. This will be my first effort this weekend.

2) I'll look at AI_chooseHealerUnit for ways to simplify. I think the root issue may take an extensive modding effort but could then be used elsewhere for other similar very intelligent AI decision making to be equally streamlined. For quickfixes, you may be able to find better ways to address some things. I just know that caching is dangerous for multi-player so I'm reluctant to use that as the ultimate fix unless it's done very carefully.

3) The main reason I was concerned about buildups is because I made some changes there and noticed a slowdown which I expected but felt it was more severe than I suspected it would be - though I may have fixed that now and what Joe and SO are experiencing is just a matter of getting deeper into the game and beginning to suffer from the above issues that don't make such a big impact until later on.

There is code associated with Sea Tunnels that Is a problem (has bugs) whether you Love them or not. Until that is fixed then Sea Tunnels should be turned Off.
Whether you turn them off as a player or not won't change whether the code causes such an impact. It's a deep fundamental coding change that let a unit evaluate ASPECTS of units it could see rather than just its own abilities or inabilities as to whether it could attack that unit or not that made for such a great slowdown. This was done initially to fix movement rules for tunnels but it causes too much evaluation when units go to move in all movement determinations every round that it creates a major slowdown once you get a lot of units in play. Therefore, I need to return it to the oversimplified rules in the code and then tunnels will return to being flawed again - at this point we should turn them off or let players deal with the buggy interactions.

However, I have another way to solve this in mind that should keep the simplicity while enabling a bit more rule agility - not as much as I'd hoped but a compromise at least. So I suggest not REMOVING tunnels, just urging players not to use them until this is fully addressed.

And as for the healer problem I'm hoping that the changes I want to make to Diseases after v36 release will abate the need for massive amounts of healers early game were that problem starts. Same for TW line and Crime and no I'm not looking for a bunch of new crime fighting units either. But rather a simple reduction of early Disease and crime and moving to later Eras the brunt of both. Right now it's mostly front loaded.
I promise, if we both do what we have in mind, we'll have a truly improved system there. I strongly believe that despite misgivings, once those units are fleshed out it will mean a huge improvement in the game experience.

Also unit upgrade costs are all over the board. But in the game play itself it becomes easier to delete older units and just build new ones. So upgrades become unnecessarily burdensome.
This is one very very big reason to give more granularity to the amount of unit upgrades as technology progresses.

Example: Do you think the AI as well as the player wants to spend 500+ :gold: to upgrade from Healer to Apothecary? Especially when the game makes you and the AI to build dozens of healers per city to combat disease by the time you can build Apothecaries. When it's just easier production wise to build several new Apothecaries and delete the old healers. Or keep all the promoted up healers even if it means by late med Era you have 30+ in your cities. And by Ren Era I've seen AI cities with 50+. And the same happens for the TW line too.
Add a step between Healer and Apothecary and it will feel much more reasonable. The problem is the amount of time the game goes here without another upgrade for the Healer.

So does the AI need to be taught that it needs to delete old units to build new? Right now it's taught to keep the old because it has more promotions, that is were the current weight seems to be.
Actually the new will probably have more promotions due to more buildings and such giving XP to newly built units. Civilian units like healers don't have TOO many ways to gain XP so the amount of time they spend in the game doesn't often overcome the improvements to XP granted to units upon being initially trained as time goes on. This is one reason I'd like to develop the Ongoing Training mod in full soon.

As for the AI, I'm not sure how advanced they are with this but I've seen them eliminate older units that aren't useful... there IS code for that. At what point they choose to do this is what's potentially in question. Would take a lot of code research to see what determines these kinds of decisions.

Again... look at the distance in the X layer between a Sheriff and a Police Car and then the difference between the Surgeon and the WWI Ambulance. (You also missed upgrading the Surgeons to Medics in there.) That's a huge difference in the amount of time between them and that's why there's such a huge difference in the build cost between them and that's what defines the upgrade expense.

I kinda like the idea that at first player could only build one tile tunnels but after a certain tech ( maybe megastructure engineering or such ), he could make them longer. I don't know if game engine allows this but if not, i'm very happy with the current system. Tunnels are also quite expensive to make and easy to break.

With underwater cities, the tunnels could act as a highway system and could maybe be upgraded like roads. Hmmm... not bad.
The streamlined movement rules I intend should help to set us up for Underwater stuff to be better developed in general as well. But it will take 2 steps. One to remove the new developments that make tunnels work properly but cause a HUGE slowdown in turn times later in the game. The second to add a more streamlined mechanism that involves clearly defined Z layers on the map for unit interactions.

Again... look at the distance in the X layer between a Sheriff and a Police Car and then the difference between the Surgeon and the WWI Ambulance. (You also missed upgrading the Surgeons to Medics in there.) That's a huge difference in the amount of time between them and that's why there's such a huge difference in the build cost between them and that's what defines the upgrade expense.

Im pretty sure its not the problem with skipping medic upgrade, but I look today and check the numbers to be sure.

Im pretty sure its not the problem with skipping medic upgrade, but I look today and check the numbers to be sure.

It's not the whole problem, no. But with the proposed new unit layout there's yet another promotion level inserted between the Surgeon and the Medic to make that progress even more gradual. It's one of the long stretches there.

Furthermore, the medical line currently represents a more appropriate build cost progression and most of the units in the game do not yet reflect this so at the moment the medical units really stand out as expensive at certain stages.

I started already Unit Evaluation google sheet and soon we can easy checking all units.

T-bird, I still would much rather have far fewer units period. At pre bronze my neighbor is collecting over 100 battering rams and not much else. Ive parked 20 horseman a general a hero and a few miscellaneous units nearby to keep him quiet while also stacking archers in my nearest city. I dread fighting him for the massive click fest that will occur (I hate stack attack option). I really wish that units took longer to build so these numbers were reduced by a factor of at least 5. I really dread what it means in later eras.
If the numbers keep gojng up and up I'm probably going to give up on the mod until they are checked. It would just suck the fun out of the game for me.

No offense to you, but I dont play size matters or your other combat mod.

T-bird, I still would much rather have far fewer units period. At pre bronze my neighbor is collecting over 100 battering rams and not much else. Ive parked 20 horseman a general a hero and a few miscellaneous units nearby to keep him quiet while also stacking archers in my nearest city. I dread fighting him for the massive click fest that will occur (I hate stack attack option). I really wish that units took longer to build so these numbers were reduced by a factor of at least 5. I really dread what it means in later eras.
If the numbers keep gojng up and up I'm probably going to give up on the mod until they are checked. It would just suck the fun out of the game for me.

No offense to you, but I dont play size matters or your other combat mod.

No offense taken.

I believe the mass of battering rams you're looking at there is based on some decisions made under not-so-recently updated code improvements that should keep that from happening.

Furthermore, units in many eras SHOULD be more expensive and are underpriced in terms of build costs at the moment. After a true review, this will be adjusted.

That said, your resistance to playing size matters is currently keeping you from having the game experience you would prefer with condensed unit volumes.

in classical and futher games cost for maintain units need to be rised so having 10 units must be COSTLY with some sort of progression - like 1 gold for 1 unit but 4 for 3 unit and 15 for 7 and like this.
it simply prevent too large stacks i think...

No offense taken.

I believe the mass of battering rams you're looking at there is based on some decisions made under not-so-recently updated code improvements that should keep that from happening.

Furthermore, units in many eras SHOULD be more expensive and are underpriced in terms of build costs at the moment. After a true review, this will be adjusted.

That said, your resistance to playing size matters is currently keeping you from having the game experience you would prefer with condensed unit volumes.

I just don't believe in it, nor see it as necessary.

It's not just the rams... There is another empire who had an attack stack of 40 or so elephant riders. Way overkill.

Also, why is the AI sending out city conquer-ish stacks completely across the continent, when there are far easier barbarian cities to take and empty room to settle?

Is it really overkill if you can defend against it? Might be tough but let the AI bring 40 elephant riders at me and I'll show them how unprepared they are.

I've been seeing barb cities being taken by the AI lately so I'm not sure what changes were made there and when or if any since I've also seen them ignore such cities. The AI is programmed to be a little emotional when it comes to war decisions so it often has to do with diplomacy between nations rather than just the best strategic moves they can or should be making. It's always been this way in CivIV. Sure, improvements could be made there but it's not really my forte to work with large scale national decisions regarding when to war and when not to and who to go to war with. But when they do, how they choose to target cities is something I'll review at some point.

Well, in this may-pre V36, one AI did put all his bullets almost entirely on siege units as it threw 50 siege towers and over 100 trebuchets at me with few but almost none other supportive units in one stack. First, it kept them few turns in arctic tile so they got nice damages there and then closed my city. It was pretty easy to handle with counter siege batteries and enough proper horse units. My new record for whole units killed with one horse attack is now 11 and few damaged on top.

At other time, different AI was spotted hoarding tens of healers in his city. Wondered what the feak was he thinking so AI does seem quite disturbed at times.

Also, sometimes the AI still does not withdraw his healer units from conquered city which of course is most convenient to the conqueror. Maybe the healers are so taken by new exotic culture that they choose to stay. :)

I played on second hardest level and game is far too easy.

My point was I don't see a need for there being so many nor the corresponding need for the number of defenders needed to face them. The only benefit is that it indirectly weekens the limited number uu and heros and field generals.

I dont like fighting wars with hundreds of units. I find it tedious not fun.
In later eras I don't want to manage thousand(s) units in my empire, much less fight with them.

Well, in this may-pre V36, one AI did put all his bullets almost entirely on siege units as it threw 50 siege towers and over 100 trebuchets at me with few but almost none other supportive units in one stack. First, it kept them few turns in arctic tile so they got nice damages there and then closed my city. It was pretty easy to handle with counter siege batteries and enough proper horse units. My new record for whole units killed with one horse attack is now 11 and few damaged on top.

At other time, different AI was spotted hoarding tens of healers in his city. Wondered what the feak was he thinking so AI does seem quite disturbed at times.

Also, sometimes the AI still does not withdraw his healer units from conquered city which of course is most convenient to the conqueror. Maybe the healers are so taken by new exotic culture that they choose to stay. :)

I played on second hardest level and game is far too easy.
MOST of those issues have been greatly improved on since May. I'm not seeing these flaws in behavior so much lately.

My point was I don't see a need for there being so many nor the corresponding need for the number of defenders needed to face them. The only benefit is that it indirectly weekens the limited number uu and heros and field generals.

I dont like fighting wars with hundreds of units. I find it tedious not fun.
In later eras I don't want to manage thousand(s) units in my empire, much less fight with them.
There's only so many because they ramp up to match what they understand they must build themselves up to face. This is how cold wars work. Sorry you feel its tedious but I do think you'd far more enjoy the way Size Matters plays out as it addresses this problem quite nicely by allowing unit counts to condense significantly (meaning less units to tedium through). (Whether you believe in it or not.)

alberts2 & Thunderbrd:

Something HAS to be done about this ADDED turn times that have recently been introduced. What ever made them longer needs to be set BACK to where it was waaaaay better. even if it means something doesnt work correctly again, once we do that, then we can try something else to fix it, but these turn times are making the game UNPLAYABLE. I am in Ancient Era and ONLY 3 cities, and turns times are OVER 1 minute long, making it impossible to play the game (IMPO). As Joseph II has pointed out also.

Please for the sake of the "playable" game reverse whatever made them looooonger,)for now) before next version of course, thx. . . . SO

alberts2 & Thunderbrd:

Something HAS to be done about this ADDED turn times that have recently been introduced. What ever made them longer needs to be set BACK to where it was waaaaay better. even if it means something doesnt work correctly again, once we do that, then we can try something else to fix it, but these turn times are making the game UNPLAYABLE. I am in Ancient Era and ONLY 3 cities, and turns times are OVER 1 minute long, making it impossible to play the game (IMPO). As Joseph II has pointed out also.

Please for the sake of the "playable" game reverse whatever made them looooonger,)for now) before next version of course, thx. . . . SO

What makes this problem peculiar is that it can suddenly come and go. Try recalculation and restarting the game.

Top Bottom