How to limit city and unit spamming?

lobosan

Warlord
I know how to limit city spamming.
How could I limit unit spamming?

Limit city spamming by changing the minimum distance between cities in GlobalDefines.xml
Code:
<Row Name="MIN_CITY_RANGE">
<Value>3</Value>

One of these days, I want to make it to the industrial age on the standard sized earth map without crashing all the time :)

Perhaps making units generally more expensive? I think you can fiddle with unit build-cost in the gamespeed xml but I'm not sure.

Perhaps making units generally more expensive? I think you can fiddle with unit build-cost in the gamespeed xml but I'm not sure.

I feel the mod unit costs as a whole need a major overhaul review but its such a large project I'm going about it one unit line at a time. This will be the first step. Then we'll take a look at all the other build speed modifying factors and see if we can't find those that may be far out of whack. I know that Alberts2 has said there are modifiers totaling over 300% in some cities during some eras.

I also do have some eventual code cleanup to do to reduce the amount of data each unit requires to maintain. This should help with that side of things as well.

Also, if you've had some MAFs later in the game with Size Matters, the new AI for Size Matters should not only be making the AI MUCH tougher (I just had the most glorious experience of having the AI actually capture one of my cities last night! MWAHAHAHAH! It's ON now!) but also should vastly reduce the amount of mem consumption taken up by units since they won't be nearly so happy to split.

What I think needs to also take place is for old (dead and gone) units and their indexes to truly be removed from memory after a point. They may be... not sure I fully understand that side of it and where we are with that. Alberts2, care to comment on how that works exactly?

I know how to limit city spamming.
How could I limit unit spamming?

Limit city spamming by changing the minimum distance between cities in GlobalDefines.xml
Code:
<Row Name="MIN_CITY_RANGE">
<Value>3</Value>

One of these days, I want to make it to the industrial age on the standard sized earth map without crashing all the time :)

Since you've given no details about your computers capabilities and you are only playing a standard size map (again no detail as to which map) you may have to reduce the number of AI you start the game with. Sounds like you are still using a 32bit OS too. And are you using v35 or earlier versions vs using the SVN?

And stop using game set up options that generate more AI. T-brd and others before him have geared this Mod towards Warfare than building. So number of units will always be there.

As for limiting City "spamming" (I actually really dislike that term) are you using the game Options City Limits by Civics and City Limits by map size (ls612 made this one). They reduce the number of cities everyone in the game can have due to various penalties for going above a preset limit.

It's not hard to reach Industrial era if you use a faster game speed setting too. Try the Normal game speed with a Standard map and only 7 AI, No REV, and No Barb Civ.

In the end, Your CTD's are mostly coming from your computer's limitations, Not the Mods' "spamming".

JosEPh

You guys rock! I made it to the Modern Area with an SVN update yesterday.
Also, turning on "Minimize AI turn time" in BUG appears to improve my game's stability too!

Laptop Specs: Windows 8.1 64-it, CPU i7-3632QM @ 2.2GHz, 8 GB RAM
Map: SEM_Plus_with_26_Civs (I love "what if" scenarios)

I did enable: Raging Barbarians, Barbarian World, Require Complete Kills - the first 2 shouldn't affect late game but the few lingering Civs could be a problem.

You guys rock! I made it to the Modern Area with an SVN update yesterday.
Also, turning on "Minimize AI turn time" in BUG appears to improve my game's stability too!

Laptop Specs: Windows 8.1 64-it, CPU i7-3632QM @ 2.2GHz, 8 GB RAM
Map: SEM_Plus_with_26_Civs (I love "what if" scenarios)

I did enable: Raging Barbarians, Barbarian World, Require Complete Kills - the first 2 shouldn't affect late game but the few lingering Civs could be a problem.

You should be able to play larger maps with those comp specs.

I suspect SEM Plus is the real culprit. Not sure when it was last updated though. But still I would recommend less AI to start. 26 on a standard map is crowded And if you have REV On can get even worse as the game progresses.

You do realize that Barb World places 1 barb city for every "Player" in the game at game start. So basically you have You (player) plus 25AI And 1 Barb AI which starts the game with 26 cities! :eek:

Complete Kill means you have to find, chase down, and destroy Every AI unit ( mil, worker and other unit types) and cities for that AI Civ to be removed from the game.

JosEPh

@JosEPh
I admit, I am a civ diversity glutton (currently 22 civs at modern age) :D
The early game was never a problem. It's the late game that, understandably, bogs down (stacks of doom, marginal cities).
I am not suggesting changes to the mod - I just wanted to tweak my setup while C2C is being polished.
Thanks for all the work!

I feel the mod unit costs as a whole need a major overhaul review but its such a large project I'm going about it one unit line at a time. This will be the first step. Then we'll take a look at all the other build speed modifying factors and see if we can't find those that may be far out of whack. I know that Alberts2 has said there are modifiers totaling over 300% in some cities during some eras.

I also do have some eventual code cleanup to do to reduce the amount of data each unit requires to maintain. This should help with that side of things as well.

Also, if you've had some MAFs later in the game with Size Matters, the new AI for Size Matters should not only be making the AI MUCH tougher (I just had the most glorious experience of having the AI actually capture one of my cities last night! MWAHAHAHAH! It's ON now!) but also should vastly reduce the amount of mem consumption taken up by units since they won't be nearly so happy to split.

What I think needs to also take place is for old (dead and gone) units and their indexes to truly be removed from memory after a point. They may be... not sure I fully understand that side of it and where we are with that. Alberts2, care to comment on how that works exactly?

One of the big issues C2C has is that for a long time lot's of stuff was added but nobody made any balance changes to compensate all the new stuff. Everytime a building was added somebody should have thought about the impact it would have on the game balance but they didn't instead they batch added new ones. Now we have too much buildings and a messed up game:(.

One problem are all the +% modifiers they add up to insane total modifers, that could be better now with the errors i fixed but it still seems too much.
There are differences from era to era and it would take a long time to really evaluate the situation given how long it takes to play one game to at least the late Modern era. That for all the different playstyles, gamespeeds and options would take years alone so i don't even want to think about it.

One of the big issues C2C has is that for a long time lot's of stuff was added but nobody made any balance changes to compensate all the new stuff. Everytime a building was added somebody should have thought about the impact it would have on the game balance but they didn't instead they batch added new ones. Now we have too much buildings and a messed up game:(.

One problem are all the +% modifiers they add up to insane total modifers, that could be better now with the errors i fixed but it still seems too much.
There are differences from era to era and it would take a long time to really evaluate the situation given how long it takes to play one game to at least the late Modern era. That for all the different playstyles, gamespeeds and options would take years alone so i don't even want to think about it.

In general I agree about balance checking after additions were made. I "beefed" about a lot of that.

And I've not been a fan of blanket (+/-) %Modifiers either. Sometimes the simple +/-1 is just plain the best route to go. Now it takes a Math Degree to sort some of these % Modifiers out. :p:p:p

I'm hoping that after the freeze I will be allowed to implement some balancing in certain areas that I've had my eye on for a long long time, hopefully.

JosEPh

In general I agree about balance checking after additions were made. I "beefed" about a lot of that.

I'm hoping that after the freeze I will be allowed to implement some balancing in certain areas that I've had my eye on for a long long time, hopefully.

JosEPh

You get my vote. :)

And I've not been a fan of blanket (+/-) %Modifiers either. Sometimes the simple +/-1 is just plain the best route to go. Now it takes a Math Degree to sort some of these % Modifiers out. :p:p:p

JosEPh

Some of it could and should be done during the freeze. I made some minor changes to the general gamespeed balance last year and that was really needed. Before that it was ls612 who keept any eye on the balance but the last time he made any changes was 2.5 Years ago in rev4875.

Top Bottom