game speed effect AI?

slo

Warlord
I have seen this mentioned in a few posts...I play on marathon becuase I like using my new weapons before time walks all over them...

BUT i have read a few times that the AI plays best on normal speed...is this a fact or opinion? If opinion, how many prevalent is this theory?

slo

I think the AI is the same on various speeds. But the AI sucks in general at the tactical level when moving it's units and the part gets an emphasis when choosing lower game speeds.

Yeah, the AI doesn't change depending on the game length, but since most players enjoy a significant advantage over the AI in terms of strategy & tactics a longer game length tends to amplify that.

In short, every game turn which goes by tends to help the human player relative to the AI, and marathon games have far more turns than normal ones.

Right. Since the AI is likely to lose units when it meets yours, then slower speeds give you an advantage. If you kill three units in three turns, that makes a difference in Marathon whereas in Standard the AI would be halfway to replacing them.

Also the AI really has trouble saving up the gold required for research agreements in Marathon. The human player can exploit that quite a bit by saving to double-price, or just enjoy the lack of competition in advancement.

Also the AI benefits less from increased exploration speed than you do, since it isn't as dependent on broadening trade relationships to make up for the fact that neighbors no longer want to trade - whereas you benefit from that, because you are pinched for happiness in mid-game.

Marathon lowers the difficulty level a notch -- which of course can be a totally good thing in terms of constructing a fun round of play, if you plan on relaxing on the scientific advancement and inhabiting eras longer.

Right. Since the AI is likely to lose units when it meets yours, then slower speeds give you an advantage. If you kill three units in three turns, that makes a difference in Marathon whereas in Standard the AI would be halfway to replacing them.

Also the AI really has trouble saving up the gold required for research agreements in Marathon. The human player can exploit that quite a bit by saving to double-price, or just enjoy the lack of competition in advancement.

Also the AI benefits less from increased exploration speed than you do, since it isn't as dependent on broadening trade relationships to make up for the fact that neighbors no longer want to trade - whereas you benefit from that, because you are pinched for happiness in mid-game.

Marathon lowers the difficulty level a notch -- which of course can be a totally good thing in terms of constructing a fun round of play, if you plan on relaxing on the scientific advancement and inhabiting eras longer.

Interesting... I solely play on marathon, but I wish that there was an option to keep building times the same, but double the amount of time it takes to create a unit. That would make invasions more challenging, as once you defend the initial wave of AI invaders, it takes them almost 25 more turns to invade you once again.

wow, great responses guys thanks...I have always played on marathon...maybe i should switch it up to normal then...
thanks again

Top Bottom