Can Civilization 4 run on a netbook?

matthewthegreat

Warlord
Can it run on netbook (like eee pc)? Has anyone tried it? I'm sure it would be slow but how bad is it?

I think civ 4 on the go would be great (way better then civ rev) so i'm just curious if this would work

I'd also like to know. I've been thinking of purchasing a netbook/cheap notebook with the idea of light use (web surfing/email) and Civ playing (all versions). I'm pretty sure that Civ I-III will work fine, but Civ IV is more demanding (and also my favorite). Has anyone tried this?

Sorry guys but the short answer is: forget it. From the Wiki

GMA 950

The GMA 950 is Intel's second-generation Graphics Media Accelerator graphics core, which was also referred by Intel as 'Gen 3.5 Integrated Graphics Engine' in datasheets. It is used in the Intel 940GML, 945G, 945GU and 945GT system chipsets. The amount of video-decoding hardware has increased; VLD, iDCT, and dual video overlay windows are now handled in hardware[citation needed] . The maximum core clock is up to 400 MHz (on Intel 945G, 945GC, 945GZ, 945GSE), boosting pixel fill-rate to a theoretical 1600 megapixels/s.

The GMA 950 shares the same architectural weakness as the GMA 900: no hardware geometry processing. Neither basic (DX7) hardware transform and lighting,[2] nor more advanced vertex shaders (DX8 and later) are handled in the GMA hardware.

Actually, it is possible to start it if you run it in windowed mode allthough it's incredibly slow. What makes one curious though is that if you can run it in windowed, shouldnt it be possible in fullscreen aswell?

If I remember correctly here, edit Civilization.ini, just search for "Fullscreen" and change it "1" to "0".

About this topic: it would be great to have a mod that makes civ4 lighter (civ4lite??). The units could be like circles with the unit icon on it. But the map should be downgraded too, and i dont know if it is possible.
Some will say: play civ3, but i think civ4 is just so perfect.
Do you think this could be possible? if it is, i could work on it.

About this topic: it would be great to have a mod that makes civ4 lighter (civ4lite??). The units could be like circles with the unit icon on it. But the map should be downgraded too, and i dont know if it is possible.
Some will say: play civ3, but i think civ4 is just so perfect.
Do you think this could be possible? if it is, i could work on it.

Theoretically, you could change all 3d models to single polygons (flat squares)
You would have to mod how the camera zooms, too (top-down like civ1 or isometric from a constant angle like civ2/3), but I'm quite confident that's possible.

That would speed up the game A LOT, but you'd still need DirectX compatibility.

Theoretically, you could change all 3d models to single polygons (flat squares)
You would have to mod how the camera zooms, too (top-down like civ1 or isometric from a constant angle like civ2/3), but I'm quite confident that's possible.

That would speed up the game A LOT, but you'd still need DirectX compatibility.

I support this idea! I mean, REALLY. I'd like to speed CIV up so I can play Huge and bigger maps.

Ive been reading about modding civ, and it seems easy. So i could give it a try, if no one with more modding skills wants to do it. In fact i feel bad for having 12 posts while ive been reading CFC for years. It would be a way to give back all the fun i got from this great site.

I dont think this is necessary. If we can get the poly count down enough, a netbook could run the game.

I support this idea! I mean, REALLY. I'd like to speed CIV up so I can play Huge and bigger maps.

But remember you still need CPU for end of turn calculations. I guess this delay in a netbook must be long.

I think this mod could be modular. So if you just want to get some FPS (like me, i can run it at 6-10 fps in my laptop) you replace the units and the resources, trees, etc, leaving the terrain and water for some eye candy. But if you install the full mod it gets like a board game (for the netbooks).

If the smart guys want to give some tips or ideas...

I dont think this is necessary.

Not with just a poly reduction. It would be an extra requirement for single poly models (basically quasi-2d sprites).

If we can get the poly count down enough, a netbook could run the game

Probably not. As Abegweit has posted, most/some netbooks have such poor/old graphics card that they lack the basic level of functionality required to display Civ's 3d graphics.

I run CIV 4 on notebook from time to time (usually play on home desktop but like to play with friends in LAN) so I use ASUS with 2 GB RAM and 512 NVidia Card. Runs smooth. It was not cheap to buy app. 1000 Euro 6 months ago.

The thread is about netbooks, not notebooks. Running the game on a normal notebook is no problem.

I tried installing Civ4 on my Samsung NC10 netbook. After tweaking the .ini I was able to start it, but even on first turn on a duel map it ran at about 0.5 frames per second... hopeless.

The thread is about netbooks, not notebooks. Running the game on a normal notebook is no problem.

I tried installing Civ4 on my Samsung NC10 netbook. After tweaking the .ini I was able to start it, but even on first turn on a duel map it ran at about 0.5 frames per second... hopeless.

At least it runs. I am afraid of people with netbooks having problems running dx applications (as Jvunuxx said).

The units could be like domino pieces (6 poligons) or just a poligon. But you would have to play in default camera, not the rotated ones (anyone play with those?). I guess the flag should stay the same.

For the resources and forest/jungle, my idea is to get a capture of the tile (from the top view, maybe?), and use this rectagle as a texture. This would require some xml editing (even python) becouse the game load the resurce/forest/jungle from a nif, and the 2d texture for the basic tile type.

Other solution is to make the resurce/forest/jungle a poligon in top of the tile, with a texture with alpha, so you see the tile type and in top of this the forest.

What you think?

I oc'd my Asus 1000HE to 1.8ish Ghz with a 2gb RAM upgrade and it runs civ 4 at, what, 10(?) fps. The only thing is the game doesn't support 1024x600, so instead it squishes the 1024x768 down to that res, distorting everything and making it super slow. still playable, though. how hard is it to make a game with an option for netbook res, even simply as a game update?

Has anyone attempted to Play CIV I, II, or III?

I just bought an Acer AO532H-2964 Netbook today.....................

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to point out something...
I am running an Asus EEE PC 1005 HAB (Asus EEE PC 1005 HA version from Best Buy).
I can successfully run Civilization 4 on my computer. I have to go into the settings (ini file) and change graphics to the lowest possible and change full screen to not full screen.
There is a few issues though. 1. It runs a tad slow 2. It takes up a lot of battery (so make sure you have an extra or that it is plugged in; happens with any computer game) 3. On my computer, when I click, the mouse pointer is off a space. It is probably because I am not in full screen and am running a lower resolution. If you click at 300, 300 (pixel wise), it will successfully click there, but the mouse pointer in the game will show a different area. I purchased my netbook in 2010 in at about May.
cc11rocks

Top Bottom