Nexus Viewer Help???

The GameBuild is supposed to be the CiV exe, not the Viewer. It's not supposed to open the CiV menu; but at least you know the engine is running if that pops up. The fact that it started popping up after you changed the path sounds like you moved where your CiV installation was at some point. In that case, double/triple-check your registry entries:

"ToolAssetPath" in HKCU\Software\Firaxis\Tools should be the CiV installation folder (i.e., ending in \Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V) and "AssetPath" in HKCU\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Viewer should be the Assets subfolder in the CiV installation folder (i.e., ending in \Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets), and "Executable" in the same registry key should be the path to the old Viewer.exe (ending in Nexus\x86\Viewer.exe).

I've quadruple-checked everything and reset everything just in case: GameBuild is set to my CivilizationV.exe, and those registries are correct too. I for one am absolutely stumped. It's not like nothing is working - even the Viewer will open, it just will not "relate" to any other open windows, and it seems like those other windows haven't realized that the Viewer is running.

Yay! Nexus is working! I really don't understand what was wrong with it, but here's what seems to have broken it and what fixed it.
It stopped working when I overwrote some of the vanilla animations and GR2s after saving them through Nexus Buddy. It started working again when I re-extracted the FPK files.
Just hoping this helps some other people who may have similar issues.
Thanks very much for trying to help Nutty.

It sounds like you may need to change a couple of paths in the registry.

ToolAssetPath in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Tools
should be set to the path to your CiV installation folder
e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V

AssetPath in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Viewer
should be set to the path to your CiV Assets folder
e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets

Executable in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Viewer
should be set to the Viewer.exe you want to use (i.e., the old version)
e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK.OLD\Nexus\x86\Viewer.exe

Hello, I changed the executable command in my registry as Nutty said in the above example; however now my Civilization V SDK does not work properly.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to change the Executable back. As in; can anyone tell me what the Executable should say before it is changed
to the above example (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK OLD\Nexus\x86\Viewer.exe)?

There's no point in changing the path to Viewer.exe, since the new one is totally broken. The point of this is to use the old viewer with the new SDK.

The first 2 entries should only be necessary if your (new) SDK is broken. Those ARE the default paths, but if you changed your Steam library location, it might be somewhere else.

Executable in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Viewer
should be set to the Viewer.exe you want to use (i.e., the old version)
e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK.OLD\Nexus\x86\Viewer.exe

Umm. I changed the Executable in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Viewer to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK.OLD\Nexus\x86\Viewer.exe and now there's a problem with the
SDK. Can anyone tell me what the, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\commond\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK.OLD\Nexus\x86\Viewer.exe"
said originally so I can change it back?

Also, I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the folder that contains the .xml files for the Celts is located?

The default would have been the same without the ".OLD". But again, that would NOT explain an issue with "a problem with the SDK" "not working properly" (whatever that means).

The .xml files for the Celts aren't separated, they're spread out with everything else between the 10 civs in the first expansion (Gods+Kings) (i.e., C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion). Note a few things are tweaked by Brave New World, so depending on what you're messing with, you might have to look at the Expansion2 folder as well.

Does anyone know how to open the Civilization V unit skins in Gimp?
You'll need a plugin, i.e.: https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/

EDIT: Note for reference that the user interface dds files (the ones with an accompanying index file) have to be unpacked to be used with an editor. This program:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/dds-unpacker-for-interface-textures.389316/
will convert them to .png, and then to use them you'd re-save as a regular (unpacked) .dds file, which the game permits.

Last edited:
I've quadruple-checked everything and reset everything just in case: GameBuild is set to my CivilizationV.exe, and those registries are correct too. I for one am absolutely stumped. It's not like nothing is working - even the Viewer will open, it just will not "relate" to any other open windows, and it seems like those other windows haven't realized that the Viewer is running.
I'm having a similar problem. Registries and GameBuild locations are correct. But when you try to open the model from asset viewer it either crashes the 3D viewer or shows a blank screen. IE: Also trying to open the unit viewer or effects viewer produces something that may be related.

Attachments

• nexusviewer1.PNG
    nexusviewer1.PNG
    913 KB · Views: 34
  • nexusviewer2.PNG
    nexusviewer2.PNG
    987.1 KB · Views: 64
  • nexusveiwer3.PNG
    nexusveiwer3.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 34
  • nexusveiwer3a.PNG
    nexusveiwer3a.PNG
    12.7 KB · Views: 35
  • nexusveiwer3b.PNG
    nexusveiwer3b.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 29
Just to be sure: Are you using the old version of the SDK for the viewer?

Also, IIRC, some models require you to open and re-save them in Nexus Buddy first.

Saving them first in Nexus Buddy 2.3.3 is required for using the granny viewer. However for the nexus viewer I'm not sure.
I am using the old version of the SDK otherwise normally the viewer wouldn't open at all.

Attachments

• nexusveiwer4.PNG
    nexusveiwer4.PNG
    65.5 KB · Views: 38
  • nexusveiwer5.PNG
    nexusveiwer5.PNG
    62.7 KB · Views: 37
  • nexusveiwer6.PNG
    nexusveiwer6.PNG
    57.1 KB · Views: 36
Sorry, it's been a long time... Um, are you sure you're double-clicking on Nexus.exe to open it (don't use the launcher).
I do double click the Nexus.exe I was going to video the walkthrough of me attempting to run it so you may get a better idea. However a new problem has shown up. Starting nexus now gives a Error Establishing Network Paths. No idea where this error came from either.

Attachments

• NewError.PNG
    NewError.PNG
    226 KB · Views: 34
It seems to be saying that the assets path is too long (more than 260 characters, but unless you changed the path since the last time you posted a regedit screenshot, I don't know why).

Top Bottom