Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt

Anyone want to see if they've done the same with G&K?

And as sidenote, the Mayan icon is taken from the largest temple in Uxmal, "the diviners house"

Spoiler :

We know the building, we just need to see if there's a matching image....

Edit: Found what might be a match for Mount Kailash

Spoiler :

Oh wow. I'm guilty of this in a mod I'm working on, but honestly, a professional company like Firaxis should be ashamed of themselves.

Legality and Justice are two separate concepts.

BTW: The work I used was in the Public Domain. I'll put it up in a minute.

In general not, because copyright applies everywhere, unless stated otherwise.
But I guess not really many companies are keen of sueing a lonely modder.

Gently caress you too pal

I think mods are exempt from this, since they're non-monetary, at least I hope so

Duh, I was just saying I'm totally guilty of this. Thing is, I respect copyright and license. This is public domain :p

We should try to search for stock images used for Brave New World (and those that have been missed for Gods & Kings).

Trade routes? Used query "trade caravan". They're flippin' it again :lol:
Spoiler :

Because no one else has done so yet...

EDIT: Renewed link for the second image, since it's been down.

Spoiler :

Well, that's not the same thing. It was an inspiration, but they didn't photomanip it.

Well, that's not the same thing. It was an inspiration, but they didn't photomanip it.

I didn't say they plagiarized, just drew inspiration from it.

I am so going to order to check out Portugal's artwork to see if there's some copyright infringement... and then alert the owner and make a buck out of it (just kidding... actually, maybe not, I have to make my degree worth it!).

What a bunch of lazy losers (I mean the artwork team).

I haven't noticed any issues since the original game, fwiw.

The short answer is we don't know. No one here (unless they want to speak up) is a copyright lawyer. Intellectual Property is extraordinarily complicated. I think it depends on how much is changed, although, pragmatically, it depends on how much these images are worth and whether it's really worth fighting over.

Also this discussion feels pretty much 'a bunch of US guys talking amongst each other with US references' :)
I consider myself quite versed in the domain of intellectual and artistic properties (I did won quite a few case even so I m only an 'occasional lawyer') and most of the post just wouldn t make sense for europe , for instance.

I agree that the newer icons are copyright infringement free. I can't give the artists at Firaxis full credit though, I have the sneaking suspicion we all pushed them to polishing their craft a bit more with this mildly embarrassing thread.

Now what thread could we write up to get that new expansion for free... beats me;)

@otaman...looks like it could have been a reference, but looks to different to be anything else.

Top Bottom