they really need to fix the lack of oil

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
I'm the biggest civilization in the world and I have ZERO access to oil?

There is only ONE city-state with access to oil on this map?

No oil = no battleships. It really kills your late game when a resource this critical to unit-building is nowhere to be found.

I'm the biggest civilization in the world and I have ZERO access to oil?

There is only ONE city-state with access to oil on this map?

No oil = no battleships. It really kills your late game when a resource this critical to unit-building is nowhere to be found.

Get your oil like everyone gets oil. Conquer it.

Get your oil like everyone gets oil. Conquer it.

Only ONE other Civ has oil.

ONE.

And of course he's the biggest one and the furthest away.

I'm on a water map and threw everything I had at getting to battleships. Now? Screwed.

I've allied the one CS with oil. I'm wondering how long it will take for them to give me some and how much it will be.

Actually, I think BNW's strategic resources are not scarce enough. Although I would prefer to see them scarce in a more balanced manner.

Only ONE other Civ has oil.

ONE.

And of course he's the biggest one and the furthest away.

I'm on a water map and threw everything I had at getting to battleships. Now? Screwed.

I've allied the one CS with oil. I'm wondering how long it will take for them to give me some and how much it will be.

Well then what do you need oil for? Clearly there's no oil on this map. So why do you need the resource when no one else can build battleships or planes either? You can work around a lack of almost all strategic resources.

You can see how much oil is on the CS's patch by hovering over the square. And you can pay to improve it and get it immediately as well.

Well then what do you need oil for? Clearly there's no oil on this map. So why do you need the resource when no one else can build battleships or planes either? You can work around a lack of almost all strategic resources.

You can see how much oil is on the CS's patch by hovering over the square. And you can pay to improve it and get it immediately as well.
Would adopting Autocracy make sense, to exploit the dearth of oil? If only you and one other civ have oil, then you might be able to steam roll the other civs, or perhaps use your doubled oil to make a concerted effort to seize the other civ's oil fields.

In the real world, seizing or disrupting the oil production of the enemy has been an important strategy since 1930s

Water maps are dangerous because you can be screwed out of strategically easily. My current archipelago map has a major uranium shortage.

My latest small continents game had hardly any Uranium there was only 4 sources for a total of 13 but only Denmark and myself had access and I only had it cause I conquered a few city states earlier. There was also another source but it was on it's own isolated tile in the north.

Subs don't require oil if I recall correctly. Dominate the enemy coastline and send over land units. You may take more losses than sitting back and sniping with battleships, but should still work.

Also on resources, is there coding to take in account how much land you already own? I've always got the feeling that the game attempts a "balance" by making it less likely to have nodes spawn within borders of larger empires. Tho I haven't seen any coding pointing to such.

Seems like when the new resources spawn, they are often on the borders, near CS's, away from the larger already-owned areas by the current super powers. Happens often enough where one questions whether it is intentional.

The smaller the map is the more likely that there's a monopoly on a single resource. That's what I think how it is from what i've read up on the forums.

The most I've seen is that a single luxury somehow got monopolized by a single civ on huge maps.

As for resource generation all of it is done in the start of map creation. They don't just look at your huge empire and go ah, lets not let you have any oil at all. Basically done at turn 0.

And if you're a super power, leverage your power to exert your influence to gain necessary new resource. If you can't, well, it just means you're not a super power xD

Yeah I know it is done at map generation, but could still be a "switch" to turn them off later on. Random is random, but still it is always surprising to own an entire continent and not a single node spawns...

Yeah I know it is done at map generation, but could still be a "switch" to turn them off later on. Random is random, but still it is always surprising to own an entire continent and not a single node spawns...

It doesn't really bother me because if that happens, it gives me an proper pretext to start an invasion to acquire this important newly discovered resource.

I recently had a game where I had no iron whatsoever and so I started lots of wars to get iron xD

And now I have fleets of frigates to back up my new holds. And settled distant islands just for Iron as well even when I understand it will be obsoleted quickly but hey frigates. It was either that or build battleships as I acquire oil. Which mean it was simply efficient use of turns with gold being used later to upgrade the frigates to battleships.

As the bonus of my adventuring for Iron i got to bully alot of city states for free gold. xD If the AI is mad at me, they're doing pretty good job of keeping their rage silent.

I was bottom in power but not anymore now.

So whenever map generation disappoints you, take it as an opportunity to have some more fun.

I find one of the big issues with Strategic Resources in this game is that big armies using them aren't really required. You can accomplish almost anything with a Carrier with 3 Fighters and 4 Battleships, meaning your deathball can run off a single oil well. Similar story with Frigates - 6 Iron will supply enough for a 6 Frigate + Privateer fleet, and nothing else needs Iron at that point.

4 Horse Archers will get a lot done, and all you really need at the front of a Composite or Crossbow rush is 2 Swordsmen/Longswords.

You can get an Ideology off a single small supply of Coal.

The only times you're really screwed are when you have exactly zero of a resource. Some other times you have to make minor tradeoffs (no buying Hydro Plants when you're short on Aluminum, fewer factories if Coal-strapped... but you only need the coal once to build the factory and they'll run forever without it), but overall you won't suffer militarily unless you have zero of anything.

In future versions of Civ I'd like to see more emphasis on having more Strategic resources. Perhaps the further into the game you go, more complex units require more resources. Tanks could require a couple Iron plus some Oil. In WW2, embargoing Japan's supply of iron to make steel was a pretty powerful move. This way, trading in strategics could have some value too - I think the only time in a dozen games recently I've ever bought any strategic was to build Factories, and once I bought Iron so I could upgrade Jaguars through Swords and Longswords to Muskets.

That's not the case. If you use In Game Editor, you can see where Coal, Oil, Uranium and Aluminium will spawn later in the game (Same for Horses and Iron btw). So no, there's no "off" switch.

Top Bottom