The Korean turtle ship can't go into oceans?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
And yet it replaces the Caravel, which can?

Why have a 'unique unit' which is worse than the standard unit?

Hmmm, 36 combat strength Turtle Ship vs. 20 combat strength caravel. Different, not worse.

Turtle ships are intended to take cities and dominate the coastal environment, which they do exceedingly well (until Ironclads (45 strength) come on the scene).

Caravels are for exploring the world, and generally staying out of trouble (Withdraw Before Melee, anyone?). You can use them to take 0 health cities, but that is an incidental use.

And yet it replaces the Caravel, which can?

Why have a 'unique unit' which is worse than the standard unit?

Because Korea's UA on other UU are so good that they thought it needed a handicap.

Hmmm, 36 combat strength Turtle Ship vs. 20 combat strength caravel. Different, not worse.

Turtle ships are intended to take cities and dominate the coastal environment, which they do exceedingly well (until Ironclads (45 strength) come on the scene).

Caravels are for exploring the world, and generally staying out of trouble (Withdraw Before Melee, anyone?). You can use them to take 0 health cities, but that is an incidental use.

Korea though can't build any ocean going units until Navigation (Frigates, and only then if they have Iron). This forces them to either build a unit normally used for combat (Frigates or Privateers) for exploration or else build scouts before they obsolete and embark those.

I personally would prefer being able to build a Caravel to a Turtleship, but Korea is really good otherwise.

But what if Polynesia got a Turtle Ship? Would that Turtle Ship be able to go in deep ocean????

That's interesting, I never played the Koreans so I can't tell.

I reckon a Polynesian Turtle ship still couldn't enter ocean, as the limit on entering ocean for the Turtle Ship is inherent, not based on whether you have Astronomy or not.

Turtle ships are also great for city defense early on. They can mess up frigates quite well, though you have to keep them inland, to avoid the frigate from sitting in the ocean at range, not being able to be hit.

I reckon a Polynesian Turtle ship still couldn't enter ocean, as the limit on entering ocean for the Turtle Ship is inherent, not based on whether you have Astronomy or not.

But Polynesians triremes and galleases can enter ocean tiles, if I recall correctly. Can all civs' early ships do that once you research Astronomy?

Polynesia is one interesting Civ.

I just tested the idea, using the Ingame Editor mod as a sandbox. If Polynesia has a Turtle Ship, the ocean is no limit.

So, next time anyone plays as Polynesia, be sure to keep a sharp look out for a militaristic CS which has Turtle Ship as its special unit! :D

Unfortunately, militaristic CSs only gift land units.

What Poly needs to do is use a swarm of privateers to capture some turtle ships.

Of course, if it can do that, why does it need turtle ships?

Because Turtle Ships just look awesome in our fleets.

What Poly needs to do is use a swarm of privateers to capture some turtle ships.

You can use a combo of frigates and privateers. You weaken them with frigates, then take it with your privateer.

To better beat up another civ with newly acquired turtle ships of course. xD

I really wish that CS could gift naval units.

Would make befriending them on water maps much more viable.

Turtle ship, as its name implies, is for turtle defense. With both UUs in action, Korea is unbeatable for the mid game, while they can leverage their UA to maximum effect. Its meant for defense, not exploration.

Turtle ships are basically coastal battering rams. They are great siege for taking a coastal city as bows and galleasses are nuking it down. If you have a nice, wide bay they can completely negate enemy frigates. Even if the turtle ships can't hit the frigates, they are such good tanks that they can just aborb the hits while preventing the frigates from getting within city range.

Turtle ships are basically coastal battering rams. They are great siege for taking a coastal city as bows and galleasses are nuking it down. If you have a nice, wide bay they can completely negate enemy frigates. Even if the turtle ships can't hit the frigates, they are such good tanks that they can just aborb the hits while preventing the frigates from getting within city range.

Turtle ships really want to be the replacement for Privateers, if they did replace those instead of the Caravel (the ocean going exploration vessel) there would be fewer complaints.

Nope. Their triremes can go deep, so I believe Turtle ships are the same. How, though, would Polynesia acquire a Turtle ship? CS only give land units.

Top Bottom