Barbarians are killing me

Silock

Chieftain
It's really, really ridiculous at this point. Is there ANY way to turn this setting down without turning them off completely?

Check if you don't have Raging Barbarians turned ON. It seems that, at least for some people, when BNW was installed, it also changed the setting for Raging Barbarians for some reason.

No, it's not on. It just feels like it is. Definitely increased barb activity over G&K.

It just makes getting started extremely difficult. If I build enough units to effectively combat the barbarians, I make no money, which slows everything WAY down.

I guess I just need to try to adjust my playstyle a little more if it's going to remain this way.

Actually making units don't slow you down much if you use them to kill barb camps.

Actually making units don't slow you down much if you use them to kill barb camps.

The upkeep is killer.

I'm so used to the Tradition 4-cities opening and buying the settlers instead of hammering them out that this is taking its toll.

It's especially frustrating when you are constantly surrounded by 4 barbs and can't move your troops out to go take out the camps.

I play on Prince. The barbs have been killing me too and it does seem like a little much. I also noticed that they seem to go for you, the player, over anything else. There was a citystate worker passing a barb camp but it wasn't taken. I blocked off it's path so it couldn't move away from the barb camp. The barb units never stole the worker but kept doing that back-and-forth dance around my unit. I wanted them to take the worker so I could take it back and return it but I ended up just taking the worker for myself after many turns of it just standing there next to the camp. XD

My very first game of BNW and I, too, was surrounded by Barbs. There were four barb camps from day one.

If you are in the middle of a continent, just open Honor and bust your way out, unless the landscape and your civ is conducive to some other policy tree. I don't go tradition unless I can turtle a bit and have massive food sources near by. Liberty only to secure luxuries dispersed but within reach. Piety if I have a lot of faith bonuses from the landscape, or whether it suits the civ.

I love the new barbarian levels. Love it. Indirect Honor buff.

It sounds to me like people don't build enough early military. You have to balance guns and butter, you can't go all butter.

Yes, they needed the increased barbarian activity to compensate for more peaceful civs. Besides, If you stay on top of eliminating the barb camps, its not nearly as bad. Granted it is a bit harder to take them out since their spawn rate seems to have increased exponentially as well...

It's weird. I don't have these big problems with barbs that you guys complain about. I play on prince.

All it means is you need at least 2 warrior units to take a barb camp rather than 1. I actually found it to be very enjoyable and gave me something to do between deciding what to build/improve early on. The need to plant units around for sight to watch your trade routes is pretty interesting.

Just build a couple archers really. Position them on hills and target the barbs on the plains where you maximize damage. Upgrade open terrain bonus. AI is too dumb to stay out of range. I haven't seen a difference between G&K outside of some different units.

I played the Scramble for Africa scenario and I thought raging barbarians was enabled for it for first. Then I started up an actual custom game with raging barbarians on and was immediately surprised to see that the somewhat hellish barbarian situation in the interior was actually nothing compared to what's happening now.

And it is enjoyable. I think it has to do with trade routes and making longer trade routes more prone to interception. In the Scramble game, I was playing Belgium and my route through Portugal to the German colony was constantly being pillaged by barbs.

I haven't seen a difference between G&K outside of some different units.

I think cavalry units have defensive withdraw now, which makes attacking a full strength cavalry unit with a slower, melee, more difficult.

Top Bottom