Age of Empires 3 modding Vs Civ 3 modding

Tommy Vercetti

The Don
How much harder is it to mod AOE 3 Vs Civilization 3? I was talking with a friend on AIM and we were discussing an idea for an AOE3 mod.

Depends...

You cannot create completely NEW models for AoE III, BUT, every part is a separate model and you can "mix and match" stuff to get completely new units and or buildings... I.e. take that one Incan "outpost" from the Single Player Campaigns, re-texture it to look like concrete, change its attack from the generic turret attack to the gatling gun's attack and presto: you have a serviceable Pillbox....

If it's general modding (i.e. changing sounds, dinking with the factions, etc), that's pretty easy, although if you want to play multiplayer, you'd better have a way to either uninstall the mod or only play with people who have the mod, otherwise you get a "CRC Mismatch" or some such error... Well, actually, that's only if you modify the factions themselves... Various modders have found that cosmetic mods (i.e. UI graphics, unit sounds, etc) usually don't cause any problems, but more in-depth modding (i.e. unit stats, faction stats, etc) will cause issues, as well as prevent you from playing on ESO....

General modding (Home cities, factions, etc) are simply XML files, and are easy enough to edit... I've been working on a mod to make all the SPC factions playable in skirmish mode... So far, I've got the Knights of St. John, Black's Mercenaries and the USA, but they aren't perfect... I may do a further mod of those factions, but any further modding and I'd run into the aforementioned CRC mismatch errors in multiplay....

Random Map mods are a bit harder, since they are actually C# subroutine files and you need to use actual C# programming to make them work, but with a bit of poking around the normal RMS files, you can usually figure out which section of code to copy over to do what you want... I created a RMS called "Wild West Gold Rush" that is essentially an inverted "Rockies" map, but with more trading posts and native villages (and a greater variety of natives), plus everyone starts with a "boom town" consisting of 3 houses and a saloon as well as 5 miners (SPC unit) in addition to their starting villagers... Almost all of the coin sources (and at least half the food) is in the central plateu, which is the key to winning the map...

It only took me about 3 days to do that RMS....

More info can be found on Heaven Game's Age of Empires III site....

Top Bottom