Deity on Marathon without CSs

Bed0

Chieftain
Hey, guys!

With your help i managed to beat AI on Deity difficulty (through SV). I won (2x) playing with Arabia (amazing Civ!), Standard, Fractal map on Quick.

During that game the CSs provided me help during war times. So i decided to remove the CSs in my next game to turn it more challenging and fun (and disable DV), since we use them a lot better than the AI.

I also decided to play a longer game, on Marathon, with more Civs. To sum it up, i was completly overpowered. I coudn't stand a chance against Japan or Zulu army (first and second try). The third time i managed to survive, but i was so behind in tech that i gave up.

How can i win with those settings?

Hey, guys!

With your help i managed to beat AI on Deity difficulty (through SV). I won (2x) playing with Arabia (amazing Civ!), Standard, Fractal map on Quick.

During that game the CSs provided me help during war times. So i decided to remove the CSs in my next game to turn it more challenging and fun (and disable DV), since we use them a lot better than the AI.

I also decided to play a longer game, on Marathon, with more Civs. To sum it up, i was completly overpowered. I coudn't stand a chance against Japan or Zulu army (first and second try). The third time i managed to survive, but i was so behind in tech that i gave up.

How can i win with those settings?

Bribe ai to fight each other?

Bribe ai to fight each other?

That bought me some time, but the AI eventually DoW me. Since i'm playing with more Civs, my borders are near two or three different Civs form the start.

You can't afford to have 3 archers in most deity games, unless you have deep understanding of diplomacy systems. And even if you do understand, there are random events. There is no mention of your army in that post, so i'll presume you had a scout and a warrior and hoped for the best.

Marathon gives you an edge because AI can't fight. You, on the other hand, can get yourself a highly promoted army of 7-8 units, who will fear no enemy. That is number 1 priority. Even before libraries. Consider using GE for national college. That will shave at least 70 turns and speed up your science greatly.

No CS certainly makes it more challenging, so i won't say that marathon is easy :). Main concern is happiness, i guess, and would consider going a mix of tradition/liberty or liberty/commerce, maybe some mix of the above with honor, just to keep the happiness & culture up, while expanding by peace and war.

You can't afford to have 3 archers in most deity games, unless you have deep understanding of diplomacy systems. And even if you do understand, there are random events. There is no mention of your army in that post, so i'll presume you had a scout and a warrior and hoped for the best.

Well, AI didn't DoW me during the first turns because i managed to bribe Japan to DoW America. However, Japan won much faster than expected (Leaving America only with the capital) and DoW me after that. At the time i believe i had 2 archers, 2 sepearman and 1 warrior with 3 cities). Don't remeber exavtly how many units they had, but i didn't last 4 turns.

The second and third time i tried to bribe everyone to don't DoW me( giving gpt and luxury etc.) and to Dow each other and i didn't focus much on my army, but it didn't work.

Marathon gives you an edge because AI can't fight. You, on the other hand, can get yourself a highly promoted army of 7-8 units, who will fear no enemy. That is number 1 priority. Even before libraries. Consider using GE for national college. That will shave at least 70 turns and speed up your science greatly.

Thanks, but how can i get a GE that fast? Yeah, i think i'm focusing on science too soon and due to the building time i can't recover when AI DoW me.

No CS certainly makes it more challenging, so i won't say that marathon is easy :). Main concern is happiness, i guess, and would consider going a mix of tradition/liberty or liberty/commerce, maybe some mix of the above with honor, just to keep the happiness & culture up, while expanding by peace and war.

But it makes the game much more fun! Have you tried it? I will try other policy start than tradition. Thanks!

Full liberty gets a free GE.

I prefer quicker speeds for more challenging games, but maybe one day i will try marathon/no CS. :) You can create a challenge thread with your settings, i'm pretty sure many people will be interested to try your settings.

There is a long going deity challenge series: (31 games so far) you can look it's format up in strategy forum - post a screenshot, starting save, some description and we can all try DC #32 and share strategies.

Top Bottom