Bumped up difficulty- Wow

Drb42

Chieftain
So I'll go ahead and put it out there. I've always been just a casual player, and therefore only played around on the next-to-lowest difficulty. Well recently after starting to replay the game after I don't even know how long, I got bored of that and started a new game as America on the next difficulty up with raging barbs on and NoAIPatrol set to 0.

What a difference that makes. My first neighbor (Korea) attacks me out of no where while everyone is still in expansion phase just a few turns after first contact. Within a half dozen turns I learn that my other continent-mate, Rome, has declared on the Koreans. Just a few turns later Rome also declares on me. So before we're even halfway through the AA, it's full on war.

The war came to an indecisive stalemate on all sides after what seemed like the longest AA war I've ever been in, and immediately all I can think about is how far back this has set our whole continent. Also, from this point on, my reputation with AI civs begins falling against even my best trade arrangements. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong, and before the end of the AA all of the known world is annoyed at each other, but thinks I am quite simply the scourge of the earth and is not to be dealt with peacefully.

Beginning of medieval age, Korea once again goes on the warpath and on the first turn I get lucky and get a leader and make an army of elite Knights, which I use to quickly dispatch 3 of their cities over the next 4 turns. They now have 4 cities, and I trade them peace for all their techs, money, and cities besides capital. Next turn Rome finishes them. And to celebrate, they declare on me. Most of this war is stalemate on the field, but it takes a heavy toll as my armies were already stretched thin. I held my frontline city Seattle against a SoD of Calvary and medieval infantry with my knight army and some pikemen. All the pikemen died and the army survived by 2 HP. Luck has saved the day.

However it is at this time I realize I have been left in the dirt in the technology department, even by the always-warring AI Rome, whom my advisors assure me is almost as hated as myself. Rome and America (me) are about the same size, and entered the MA at about the same time. Now I've barely gotten gunpowder, and he's coming at me with Calvary and based on diplo screen has education as well. The other continent has one civ already in IA.

Fast forward to end of Industrial Age for everyone else, modern age for one civ, and just squeaking into the Industrial Age is me. The world is at war and has forgotten all capabilities of reasoning peacefully.

However, the one thing everyone agrees on is that America is about as desirable as a pile of cow manure on your freshly mowed suburban lawn. I have been able to manage peace for about 20 turns with Rome, even though she has since gone Rogue and declared on everyone left in the game within a few turns to start WW3 of the game. I had used the rest of medieval age to build and appease my military advisor, who assures me even after centuries of building Calvary and armies to put them in, I am the weakest link.

Rome finally decides America has what she needs to fight the world, and declares. We stalemate for a half dozen turns trading Calvary battles, but once Caesars infantry stacks showed up I had to stop attacking (actually at first I was foolish and attacked a veteran infantry with a 4-Calvary army, and was treated to the sight of my army sacrificing itself to heroicly remove 2 HP from the infantry).

Times look bleak, as Rome now has industrialization and America was forced into no-research to be able to hurry armies. Roman troops advance on all fronts, and most of my remaining forces have been pulled back to cities for defense. Even more roman troop stacks have appeared on the border, and I am almost certain if I don't find peace soon the game is over (well I think it's over anyway, but I am at least trying to delay the inevitable).

The fate of America will be decided tomorrow morning. We are still roughly same size as Rome, but our army has been whittled down and are garrisoned behind our city walls licking our wounds.

So I wrote all that just to say: wow. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the game and strategies to use to win in different ways. I've been reading these forums for years, although I just recently started posting. This has been the most challenging, frustrating game ever. And I love it, it's the most fun I've had playing Civ.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to share my (humbling) civ 3 experience of the day:)

Great story. Love it. The step up from one level to another sure can be a humbling experience. I too have played for many years and recently tried to move from Emperor to Demigod (there is a thread about it), Wow! Was that an eye opener. The great thing here is there is no shortage of great advice if you are determined to improve.

Good luck with the game!

Booting up the game now. I think I'm gonna try to get peace ASAP and hope the rest of the world beats each other up while I build myself out of the hole I'm in.

So I turned research back on with a path set to replaceable parts. If I'm going to win this I'm going to need infantry and artillery at least. A couple turns later Rome forgives my transgressions of simply existing and allows peace to be negotiated.

I begin building infrastructure while I research, hoping maybe I can close the gap between myself and the AI civs. Meanwhile I move most of my troops to the roman border to be prepared. I have learned by now that the roman citizenry must see war as entertainment, and any chance I offer for them to kill Americans they will take it.

Fast forward to discovery of replaceable parts. Yes! Finally! A break. I was able to catch up while the rest of the world was at war. Still only one civ in modern age, Rome is losing her island colonies to Arabia, and I switch research to industrialization. I'm going to need factories to be able to mass produce an army capable of bringing some hurt.

After returning from the science advisor I go to switch cities to build infantry.... Only to find out the further cruelty of the RNG gods. I am the 3rd largest civ in terms of land area, with all of Korea and over half of former Sumerian lands, and I have not one source of rubber in my borders. . That means I'm gonna need that much more artillery.

Fast forward through more peacetime of building artillery and cavalry. I am now up to around 80 cavalry and 75 artillery, with nearly as many riflemen and guerrillas. Rome has been receiving all she can handle from Arabia on the minimal, and after investigating a few border cities of Rome, determine my attacks. I realize I don't have time to build culture in captured cities, as Romes armies will be fast approaching, so I decide to raze any towns I capture. I'm going all in on this war, Rome must least be expecting a surprise attack from her arch-nemesis America, who she doesn't realize very nearly eliminated if not for falling for American negotiating trickery.

Rome has still been at war with everyone else so I assume they're infrastructure and research must be strained or halted. She's been at war for centuries with everyone, there's no way she's keeping up.

So I move my stacks to two border towns, and immediately open fire. Cumae and Baltimore (basically a roman city since MA) fall easily despite the tech difference and are razed to the ground.

Fortify troops, brace for counter attack.

I am expecting a massive Calvary charge augmented by guerrillas and infantry.
What I receive drains the color from my face. 15 roman tanks move on my stacks and proceed to eliminate nearly half of my army by the end of the turn. They are followed by the massive Calvary charge that was actually expected. Oh and they started the turn off with bombers.

I immediately go into full retreat, I am in over my head and peace is no where in sight. The last war I barely got Rome to acknowledge me begging for peace... Now I've started the war by sneak attack and immediately retreated. She knows I'm done for surely.

I write this as roman troops have burned outlying American towns, captured one core city by a Calvary charge, and have SoD's of tanks on the perimeter of 4 cities.

I stare back at them ready to face my fate with riflemen.

The game is essentially over for me, my core is gutted and roman troops walk freely through American lands. I cannot keep up production fast enough, but it doesn't matter because for every rifleman I pump out, I lose a city the same turn.

Oh well, I learned a lot from this game. The AI has no remorse from the get go, and has no tolerance for a peaceful builder. I learned how to keep up production of infrastructure while engaged in long wars, and keeping a citizenry happy under the same circumstances. Next time hopefully I will be more of a match for Caesar and his insatiable desire to destroy everyone at once or be destroyed in the process.

Just started a new game and come to find out I went from warlord to monarch, a 2 level jump. That definitley explains the hanging-on-for-dear-life feeling I had all game.

This doesn't look like a regent level game (a level higher than the next to lowest difficulty) . I'd rather believe this is Emperor or monarch at the very least. When I first attempted Emperor I had done it with lots of reading and preparation. I destroyed my nearest neighbour (Sumeria or Rome) using stacks of immortals before I entered the MA and then built on peacefully for a long time. This I realized later was a huge mistake. In the MA and IA every war takes a huge toll on everything and I had a terrible time fighting Germany (we were both almost equal in tech) . In the end I won and Germany was finished but the war left me so vulnerable that in the age of tanks even a stack of Knights could have taken my cities. What is suggest in a situation where you're caught without much troops by the AI is to get research to 0, rush defensive troops in border cities, attackers in the core, wither AI troops and then attack and take a few cities until you get peace.

This doesn't look like a regent level game (a level higher than the next to lowest difficulty) . I'd rather believe this is Emperor or monarch at the very least. When I first attempted Emperor I had done it with lots of reading and preparation. I destroyed my nearest neighbour (Sumeria or Rome) using stacks of immortals before I entered the MA and then built on peacefully for a long time. This I realized later was a huge mistake. In the MA and IA every war takes a huge toll on everything and I had a terrible time fighting Germany (we were both almost equal in tech) . In the end I won and Germany was finished but the war left me so vulnerable that in the age of tanks even a stack of Knights could have taken my cities. What is suggest in a situation where you're caught without much troops by the AI is to get research to 0, rush defensive troops in border cities, attackers in the core, wither AI troops and then attack and take a few cities until you get peace.

You're right, the next time I clicked new game monarch was already selected so I must of accidentally clicked it instead. Well I lasted longer than I thought, although it was quite the challenge.

Wars definitley take a massive toll late in the game. They also seem to benefit some AI's.

Cool story. From reading between the lines.... do you pay much attention to your advisors? I use the advisor screens a lot, but I realize now I hardly ever read what they're saying.

"to maintain peace prepare for war". This is very true. Build some high attack military, make the ai think your army is strong.

A level jump can be daunting, especially when you do a double jump... but I must say that I found the jump from regent to monarch quite small. I couldnt have done it from warlord though, regent beat me up the first couple times.

Cool story. From reading between the lines.... do you pay much attention to your advisors? I use the advisor screens a lot, but I realize now I hardly ever read what they're saying.

"to maintain peace prepare for war". This is very true. Build some high attack military, make the ai think your army is strong.

A level jump can be daunting, especially when you do a double jump... but I must say that I found the jump from regent to monarch quite small. I couldnt have done it from warlord though, regent beat me up the first couple times.

I usually look at the military advisor to see if I'm strong or weak against an AI. I didn't mean to do a double jump, and have since bumped down to regent. I have already seen improvement in my game.

The biggest difference I've notice since jumping from warlord is it is significantly harder to keep AI's friendly. I had Scandinavia just dump a single archer and fortify on my coast, a couple of turns later I found a city in completely unowned territory, and next turn the archer "sneak" attacks. He dies and the Vikings never send another unit, but for about 20 turns Ragnar wouldn't acknowledge me, and when he finally did his peace terms were I give him the city I founded to "start" the war. Apparently he wanted that spot that badly.

Great story. Love it. The step up from one level to another sure can be a humbling experience. I too have played for many years and recently tried to move from Emperor to Demigod (there is a thread about it), Wow! Was that an eye opener.

Same here. After considerable time, effort and frustration (imagine, Genghis gets a cultural win a couple turns before I launch the SS) the realization set in that Emperor is my own level of competence. But that in itself is plenty challenge enough. As the existentialists might say, struggle alone gives meaning!::thumbsup:

DRB42, regarding Ragnar wanting that spot of land, I understand the AI can see resources on the map that haven't been revealed yet do to technolog. The Vikings may ahve really wanted the oil that would be discovered in 1000 years!

DRB42, regarding Ragnar wanting that spot of land, I understand the AI can see resources on the map that haven't been revealed yet do to technolog. The Vikings may ahve really wanted the oil that would be discovered in 1000 years!

That is correct, the AI knows where all of the resources that appear later will appear, and establishes cities accordingly. On custom-made maps, where I know where Oil will appear, I have seen the AI put is second or third city in a desert on or next to where the Oil will appear.

There are others way to change the difficulty experience of the game besides going up a level. One is to change the type and size of map that you are playing on. say from Standard Pangaea to Huge Archipelago.

Another is to go to the editor, reset the Barbarians to something nastier, I use the Gallic Swordsman/Cossack/Privateer sequence, add some Barbarians camps, including a couple on one-tile islands, set them to raging, and watch the fun. Until you see a stack of 40 Barbarian Cossacks coming at you, you do not know what fear and trepidation is. Especially if you have also changed the bonus against Barbarians in the editor to something quite lower as well.

One other one is change the civilization that you normally play to something considerably different. I play Seafaring civilizations primarily, but as a change of pace, I will try something like the Incas in South America, or the Israelis on the Test of Time scenario.

Top Bottom