99 GP's and a GE ain't one

lindsay40k

Emperor
Playing as Frederick. Berlin's got a pile of food and is the best GP farm I've had in years. Relocated capital to Athens, due to awesome Towns saturation, and founding Islam in Sparta made that my Wall Street city. After having a GM, GS and GArt spawn in succession with no obvious bulbs, I decided to go for a full corporation late Culture game. After all, my UB (cheap factory with four Engineer slots) will probably enable me to found CreCon AND rush multiple late Wonders, aight?

Erm.

Nope.

Spoiler :

Not that I'm complaining about the 3 GArts that'll help me finish, and the two others waiting for a third to blast out a burst of culture with a GA, but come on.

Spoiler :
And that's not all. Julius Caesar over the channel just got a GE, founded CreCon, and on the SAME TURN got the event (yes, I play with events on, come at me) where HE gets to force ME to declare war on HIM by executing one of my agents.

...actually, that's not so bad. I can fight my way into Rome, whip a bunch of Executives, and then vassal him and extort resources and markets. Wasn't planning a late game naval invasion, but I'm equipped for it.

Attachments

• ishot-529.jpg
    ishot-529.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 1,127
You founds Islam for the shrine?!! Lots of hammers spreading for a religion so late.

You founds Islam for the shrine?!! Lots of hammers spreading for a religion so late.

Nope, I'd got a whole continent to myself, stone and marble, and had put Hindu (AP religion) buildings in every city, which made the Wonders worth getting. Plus if you have a good lead on building them, DR is great tradebait that doesn't unlock powerful units. When a GPro dropped into my lap, I took the opportunity :)

Then wouldn't you have wanted to make the Hindu holy city your Wall Street city rather than the Islamic holy city? That would have been worth shrining. I wouldn't have wasted a GP on an Islamic shrine--I'd save it for a golden age.

The Hindu holy city was on another continent, and I enjoy building a big Wall Street city :)

By the way, my GSpy popped like three turns after building the Kremlin in Athens, having run nothing but Engineers (amongst a dozen thereof) since the city's last GP. Likewise two of my GArts, their GPP came entirely from National Epic and Parthenon. Losing this race wasn't for want of determined, micromanaged effort on my part :(

Great people are IMO the worst RNG suck in this game. (Like an artist from 5% NEpic contribution) Far worse than battles (where it usually levels out or one could reload). Often one cannot even reload because I'd rather save before a war than 1 or 2 turns before a GP pops out.
All this would not be such a hazzle if Artists and Prophets were better (not sure about Spies, have never really played with great spys, except for a GA)

Great people are IMO the worst RNG suck in this game. (Like an artist from 5% NEpic contribution)
This is because there's a bug in the code and the displayed odds are wrong. The odds show the percentage of different GP points in the pool, but when the GP is born, it actually only looks at amount of sources*turns for each different GP. So if you have NE and run 1 scientist, it will say 25% GA and 75% GS, based on points accumulated, but in reality it is 50-50 because you have the same amount of artist and scientist sources. If you run 6 scientists in NE city, it will say 5% GA, when it actually is 14%.

Edit: apparently this bug is already patched.

That's really messed up if true. But it does explain why I tend to get a fair few GEs simply from running an engineer in some suitable cities after a forge. The odds may show 40-50%, but in reality it could be much higher.

Just reload from the last autosave and maybe you'll get a different great person.
It happened to me a few times after a reload.(the game crashed or delayed wonder built messages)
I rushed the Space Elevator with 2 Great Engineers, but IBT it was built in a far away land.
So, that was a valid reason to reload, because it was a waste of 2 GEs.
But after reloading instead of getting a GE I got a Great Artist.

If true, this would suck big time and be really messed up because the percentages would usually be completely wrong.
But in this case I am probably rather lucky and get far less artists than one would expect. It doesn't actually square with my anecdotal experience.
But of course, other than with battles where one really does dozens or 100s very similar ones, there are only a few GP per city and game and the constellation will often be slightly different every time so everything is anecdotal.

But in any case my hunch to build/rush the Taj in some production city that usually does not produce any actual GP was probably right...

Just reload from the last autosave and maybe you'll get a different great person.
It happened to me a few times after a reload.(the game crashed or delayed wonder built messages)
I rushed the Space Elevator with 2 Great Engineers, but IBT it was built in a far away land.
So, that was a valid reason to reload, because it was a waste of 2 GEs.
But after reloading instead of getting a GE I got a Great Artist.
I thought you played for HoF?

Also, the Space Elevator is the most useless wonder of all.

I thought you played for HoF?
When a session becomes too long, the risk of getting a MAF error increases which makes the game illegal for HOF.
That game had already the MAF error and thus a reload.

I'm pretty sure the problem with :gp:%ages was fixed in a patch already.

edit: confirmed it works on :gp: points rather than :gp: sources for BTS.

I'm pretty sure the problem with :gp:%ages was fixed in a patch already.

edit: confirmed it works on :gp: points rather than :gp: sources for BTS.
Thx for finding proof :) .

Well when I build GLib, Uni of Sankore and run 5+ scientists in my cap, national epic still keeps giving me great artists.

I care not if I world builder those pathetic thongs into scientists instead and settle them all with an academy & oxford.

Top Bottom