Getting dragged into needless wars & falling behind

pulli23

Chieftain
Well in my last game I just seemed to constantly fall behind and not be able to catch up at all to the other civilizations. This is playing at just emperor setting.

I played arabia at the "mesopotamia" map type. I started in the very south-east corner, with byzantium at egypt as my closest neighbour. I tried to go tall traditiion/piety option, and wish to explicitly not go for patronage or rational. (And also not go for diplomatic victory).

Now the problems actually started very soon: early game I kept being overrun by barbarians (like 4-5 camps were all aimed at me). So I couldn't develop my resources (my warrior was stuck behind enemy lines after byzantium closed of the Sinai with their second city).
To get an outpost at least a bit near to the rest, and to have a 4th luxury I settled my 3rd town next to Byzantium.
However from that moment on I kept getting negative points from byzantium (covert wonders, settling aggressive, converting religion). Now I wasn't too worried about that: byzantium was the weakest civ by far and doing trade routes resulted always in them getting more science (and I got 1 or 0).

The other civilizations were settling like madness (Poland, hun, inca austra, babylon, indonesia). However they never engaged in any war. I also, even with my 3rd city, could not reach those other civilizations with trade routes.

At 1850 byzantium finally declared war on me, I however was having an easy time with higher production and income. And using camel archers I took their capital, which was exactly as modern day cairo, and left them with only 1 town.

However from that moment onwards I got denounced by everyone and soon everyone was declaring war on me giving me the two important negative multiplier "covert wonders" and "warmongerer" (I did not declare war?).

How would I play such a game? Where I'm landlocked behind a civilization and can't grow using trade routes at all? And the rest of the world plays a peaceful liberty game?

Not taking Rationalism? You have to be an accomplished empire builder to expect to keep up without Rationalism. Especially if you're going tall and not wide. Any particular reason? Piety is already nerfing yourself, but avoiding Rationalism means you've got to get wide, by conquest if available.

Can you post a save of your game or some screenshots?

How would I go about uploading a save game?

@at above: well it just gets so utterly boring have having each and every game the same policies & order. The idea was to get the "buy all GPs" and then buy myself to science

To upload a game save file, click Go Advanced when composing a post and then scroll down to Manage Attachments (or click the paperclip icon on the ribbon bar). Pretty intuitive from there.

Welllll, going tall and not using Rationalism is certainly a unique choice. You're also going to struggle to generate the 5000 faith to buy 3 GS without more cities :).

....At 1850 byzantium finally declared war on me, I however was having an easy time with higher production and income. And using camel archers I took their capital, which was exactly as modern day cairo, and left them with only 1 town....
Here's your problem. Late war and leaving them with only 1 city without allies. Before the Halloween patch you'd have had constant war if this had happened earlier. When the AI DOWs you defend yourself by killing all their units until others are willing to join in. If you can't secure allies only take their capital(at most).

I tried to go tall tradition/piety option, and wish to explicitly not go for patronage or rational. (And also not go for diplomatic victory).

I respect handicapping yourself by avoiding patronage, rationalism, and DV. Good for you!

FWIW, liberty wide synergizes better with piety than tradition tall (not that you had the space anyway). You want a bunch of cheap shrines/temples/faith buildings. The governor in cities you conquer will build shrines and temples, but not the faith buildings (of course). Did you at least settle four cities?

However from that moment onwards I got denounced by everyone and soon everyone was declaring war on me giving me the two important negative multiplier "covert wonders" and "warmongerer" (I did not declare war?).

DoWing has very little effect on warmonger hate. Taking the next to last city, however, causes huge warmonger hate.

How would I play such a game? Where I'm landlocked behind a civilization and can't grow using trade routes at all? And the rest of the world plays a peaceful liberty game?

The rest of the world being inclined to fairly peaceful ICS does seem to be the trend now. Being land locked behind a civ does mean that you have to war with them to get your cities all connected by road. You could/should also bribe other to join the fight. You might not need their help to conquer, but it significantly lessens warmonger help. Also, with a little luck, you can manipulate one of the other AIs to take Theodora’s last couple of cities.

Top Bottom