Ancient Egypt: New Kingdom Scenario

FramedArchitect,

I recently came across your scenarios, and I have to say: thanks so much, I'm having a blast. There do not seem to be many high quality Civ5 scenarios, and yours seem to be the best out there.

On the Nile one: I played as Hyksos, and I have to say, unfortunately it became a bit of a slog and I gave up part way through. I conquered Upper Egypt, and started on the Nubians, but it was a bit of a grind going all the way down the Nile.

I think one of the problems in some of the scenarios is that the total conquest requirements mean that the late-game gets a bit boring; once I've clearly won, the rest of the scenario can be grindy. I found similar issues with the 90% conquest in the Civil War scenario; even after I have clearly defeated the South, I have to keep going through and taking their cities one by one. Another thing which makes this a bit dull is that once I've taken the most important cities, the enemy no longer meets the strategic resource requirements for their units, and so even if they have some units those units die fast.

I really liked in the Revolutionary War scenario how the start conditions were different depending on which faction the player was (when I played as Americans, the Brits had a ton of extra units outside New York and the Iroquois had a big army, which I didn't get when I played as Britain).
And similarly that there were various scripts that triggered (like extra British forces around St Augustine when I finish fighting the Iroquois).

Things like this which help to tilt the playing field against the human player are a great way of making the scenarios more fun.

Could I suggest that some of the other scenarios might benefit from milder victory conditions (eg: control Vicksburg, New Orleans, Richmond, Charleston and Atlanta) that become harder to achieve because of extra scripts of bonus units that favor the AI player?

It looks like Faerun has wider victory conditions, which is great (I haven't played it yet - or rather, I played a very early beta version ~a year ago, but not the proper scenario).

Thanks for the nice comment. The firaxis medieval scenario seemed pretty grand to me.... don't think I could top that.

v.5 is a small fix to accommodate recent patch.

Could I recommend some kind of Renaissance->Industrial->Modern equivalent to the "Into the Renaissance"? That scenario is great, but it seems like Brand New world with the trade route and archaeology and World congress mechanics is really ripe for some Victorian era -> WW1 shenanigans. The Africa scenario is fun, but it seems like there is a lot more scope, perhaps on a Mediterranean map (which allows for archaeology and colonial domination of North Africa, Egypt, Middle East, etc., and Russian eastward expansion).

I think one of the problems in some of the scenarios is that the total conquest requirements mean that the late-game gets a bit boring; once I've clearly won, the rest of the scenario can be grindy.

I agree with this critique and I would do most of my older scenarios differently now, though I tend to move on to new things rather than revamp old things. A note on the Egypt scenario, that represents one third of the content for that mod, and eventually each of the three civs will have their own scenario and their own victory condition (only the New empire is a conquest victory, Nubia will have an econ victory, Hyksos a cultural victory).

Could I suggest that some of the other scenarios might benefit from milder victory conditions (eg: control Vicksburg, New Orleans, Richmond, Charleston and Atlanta) that become harder to achieve because of extra scripts of bonus units that favor the AI player?

That's a great idea!

Could I recommend some kind of Renaissance->Industrial->Modern equivalent to the "Into the Renaissance"?

I'm currently working on a more opened sci-fi type mod that will include a few scenarios. Thanks again for thoughtful suggestions!

That's a great idea!

For the South, you could have a condition of conquering Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York, Pittsburgh and Chicago.

When each one of those is captured, trigger a reinforcement script for the AI that adds extra units at the AI's capital.

Another thing with your mods is that while the strategic unit requirements are fun economy management for the human player, the AI doesn't do so well when every unit requires one or more units: it doesn't produce enough of the resources, and it runs out of resources when its cities are conquered. So you could create a dummy building that is given to the AI player automatically (and is destroyed on city capture) that gives a few copies of key strategic resources. These could either happen at the start of the scenario, or trigger on certain techs. So for example when the AI researches the tech that allows the riflemen unit, you could trigger a script that creates a dummy building that gives them ~3 rifle resources (and a free rifle unit).
Alternatively you could tie extra resources to the AI's palace, so that they keep them even when their capital keeps getting conquered.

Another thing: is there some way to make the strategic resource penalty (when you don't have enough of a resource) less severe for an AI player? That could help to too.

For the civil war scenario you could also consider toning down the naval units, so that they aren't so powerful relative to land and are harder to use to capture cities. It was way too easy for me to use my ironclad and ~3 frigate to capture the entire eastern seaboard (playing as Union).

I'm currently working on a more opened sci-fi type mod that will include a few scenarios.
Sounds great, I'll make sure to provide some feedback once it's up and running.

I'm trying out Faerun now, I hope you keep working on that too.

Top Bottom