Ai too passive in BNW?

woodyfly

Chieftain
Emperor difficulty, 3 other civs are literally on my border. I only have 2 swordsmen from the beginning of the game, Up to 300 turns in standard. They literally have dozens of units swarming around their cities and my borders but they don't ever attack me. It's not until like turn 320+ where they finally started sending me insults that "my army is weak" LOL. Wow.

Are there any mods for this poor ai? It feel like I'm exploiting the game, I can just focus all on developing my civ without pressure, kind of lame

The ai could be so passive that the Ai could allow the human to beat it in science. I have had Immortal difficulty ai leave me alone while fighting other ais ******ed and making each other dumb... Ais could drop science leads sometimes.

Just move to higher difficulties and choose more aggressive ai. On deity you would beg the Huns and Shaka not to attack you on t50

Just move to higher difficulties and choose more aggressive ai. On deity you would beg the Huns and Shaka not to attack you on t50

This. I'm guessing that you're playing on King or lower, but even from Emperor onwards everyone seems to start getting a little more aggressive. Plus, it all depends on who you're fighting against as well; passive Civs are more likely to leave you be no matter how big your army while ones like France, Zulus and the Huns will see a gap in your defenses and attack you as soon as they can really.

I've found your overall score seems to influence the AI as well as military might whether it attacks you or not, assuming you have done nothing wrong. The exception to this is if Monty, Shaka, Harold, Attila, Dido, or Augustus are your neighbor(s) who will most likely attack regardless. On Emperor and lower you have a good chance to do some wonder whoring and will most likely be ahead in tech fairly quickly. On Deity you will most likely have the lowest score early on and thus be the weakest.

He literally SAID emperor level guys. I agree though, you have passive AI it happens sometimes. In my experience AI let you get away with a lot even on emporer though. Either bump up to immortal (where they are far more aggressive), crowd the map by adding extra civs (which causes wars very early), or add in aggressive AI. All three tend to work pretty well for causing conflagrations and making you watch your back

They way I see it is they decided that the Civ's would have a personality more like in real life, where the objective is not to simply win the game. Some personalities like to war, some do not. They've also made BNW give out warmonger penalties much quicker to any action than before, which may also play a part in the AI's decision to not warmonger.

I sometimes use Agressive AI mod that makes them a bit more eager to attack.

off-topic but I love the AI Shaka. I always get a delicious and slightly chilled apprehensive feeling when I spot him as my neighbor. It's hilarious when you DOW HIM though! He always says something like: "Oh? Well this should be fun! Let us dance the spears together..." I always get the feeling he doesn't care at all and likes me for attacking him. :p

Easy guy to make friends with too if you pay him to attack people and occasionally help him. I guess he sees you as his "Patron of War" or something ;) He loved me the one game I kept paying him money to wipe out weak or upstart neighbors. Grew enormously huge and I was his closest neighbor but never touched me all game.

Yeah, right. ..or he'll be like. .. i greet you like a warrior, can you say the same yourself... or something like that. .

He literally SAID emperor level guys. I agree though, you have passive AI it happens sometimes. In my experience AI let you get away with a lot even on emporer though. Either bump up to immortal (where they are far more aggressive), crowd the map by adding extra civs (which causes wars very early), or add in aggressive AI. All three tend to work pretty well for causing conflagrations and making you watch your back

Good suggestions. The AIs' early warmaking was nerfed in BNW due to the usual complaints. I like to add a few AI civs and subtract a few CS in the setup options. Adding the usual suspects also helps spice things up, but it can get boring playing against the some AIs all the time. I play immortal mostly. Even crowded maps can be peaceful for surprisingly long. In my current game with 11 players on a standard size map it's pretty much been Rome and France vs everyone else up to the late Ren.

I played immortal but it just wasn't my cup of tea. The AI is still ******ed but gets too many bonuses. They had like 10 population advantage on my capital by turn 100 standard and I was all focusing food, pfft. They STILL didn't attack me.

I reeealy liked the caravan new trade system but Imma have to go back to Gods and kings

yeah I forward settled right on Darius' capital (Emperor) this game to get Lake Victoria and a huge resource of iron and he was peeved at me but never attacked, now he will trade luxuries on equal turns so I guess it's all forgotten.

But if you want a warmonger game I suggest you download the smart AI mod and play a continents/fractal/pangaea with the Huns, Aztecs, Zulu, Mongols, Ottomons, Assyria, Rome, Germany, Songhai, China.

It's quite funny to observe. On continents or Fractal you have no idea what's going on on the other continent but some games you will see the "An unmet player has lost their Capitol" message and then in another 20 turns "An unmet player has lost their Capitol" - that has me thinking I'm glad I'm not over there on that side of the world.... all hell must be breaking loose

The Huns are funny, they just build a huge army of horse archers and battering rams and go on a huge blitz destroying every city in their path (except Capitols). They can be quite useful to have nearby as they just raze all your neighbours cities and open up huge areas of land, just watch they don't turn to you.
And when I did explore that continent wow, nearly every Citystate was occupied (you can tell by the coloured flag on the city label) and 2 Civs were completely swallowed up and by the end of that game the Zulu's had taken the entire continent by themselves (they swallowed the Mongold who had annexed all of Assyria & they also did the same to the Ottomons who had swallowed the Aztecs. Quite funny to watch. All that was on the smart AI mod btw.

The Smart AI mod can be deadly if the AIs have big armies. They move and shoot so the AI submarines will absolutely wreck havoc on your navy if they get dominance. I learnt that the hard way, esp when that Civ has Expoloration so their subs can see like 4 tiles in every direction.

Top Bottom