[GS] AI too passive in Civ VI?

That sounds like a very different experience of Civ6 than pretty much everyone else. I can't even remember the last time someone spontaneously declared war on me. I'm wondering if you have a different patch or something.
Currently working through a France game on the current patch and I had Dido declare a surprise war on me, which also happened in an early game I did a couple of weeks ago. The AI can be aggressive but it seems really inconsistent and I've never had the AI declare a late game war against me.

Currently working through a France game on the current patch and I had Dido declare a surprise war on me, which also happened in an early game I did a couple of weeks ago. The AI can be aggressive but it seems really inconsistent and I've never had the AI declare a late game war against me.
On maps with very limited space (particularly Four-leaf Clover and Six-armed Snowflake) I've seen the AI declare surprise wars in the late game, even when friendly, because of the lack of room to expand. I haven't played either of those maps in a very long time, however, so I can't confirm they still do so.

I just had a spontaneous war in my Babylon game. I was playing peacefully and didn't do anything to annoy my neighbors. I didn't forward settle, I was happy enough with the cities I founded myself. So it's getting late game, but as I'm Babylon, I have high tech units compared to my neighbors. Despite having a green smiley face and having no grievances, Vietnam decided to declare war on me. She had units that were at least 2 techs behind and not much of a force. Why she thought I would be the smartest choice to attack, I have no idea. She had other close neighbors she might have had more luck with. I pretty much rolled in and took her cities with ease. The rest of them flipped to me. I didn't actually take her out, she flipped out of the game. She would have been fine if she stayed put, or attacked a weaker neighbor. Silly AI.

That sounds like a very different experience of Civ6 than pretty much everyone else. I can't even remember the last time someone spontaneously declared war on me. I'm wondering if you have a different patch or something.
The AI has been much more aggressive since the last patch.

It certainly seems that way. I recently played an Abe Lincoln game and a similar thing happened. Dido was my neighbor and she had a green smiley face/no grievances. I was doing a science victory. Granted, the early game wasn't peaceful, but whatever grievances I had with neighbors had been long gone. I think the only recent grievance she had with me was for spying but that had worn off. I was just focused on doing the space race when she declared on me. Except she was about on par with me techwise. It feels like they are declaring late game wars once you've got a victory path more or less set.

Passive and incompetent AI turned me off civ6 a long time ago. I recently picked up Civ6 again, and maybe they've improved a little bit? Qin declared surprise war on me and actually attempted an amphibious invasion with his city state ally. The water was only 1 tile wide but still I was surprised to see that.

Passive and incompetent AI turned me off civ6 a long time ago. I recently picked up Civ6 again, and maybe they've improved a little bit? Qin declared surprise war on me and actually attempted an amphibious invasion with his city state ally. The water was only 1 tile wide but still I was surprised to see that.
The original AI was a complete joke militarily. There's a good mod (Real Strategy) to fix it though. On Deity, they frequently DoW on you by turn 30-60 if you're too weak, and usually have 300-600 military strength in the medieval era. It's pretty awesome.

The original AI was a complete joke militarily. There's a good mod (Real Strategy) to fix it though. On Deity, they frequently DoW on you by turn 30-60 if you're too weak, and usually have 300-600 military strength in the medieval era. It's pretty awesome.

Hi Freaky,
does this mod make the AI a worthy opponent? One of my biggest gripes was how bad the AI was and just sat by whilst I clicked end turn until victory. Does it press advantages and pose a threat with this mod?

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

I don't want to sound crazy but this kinda of scenario happens on my games without mods (on console, actually)

Currently playing (deity) with Cleo and having Chandra as a neighbor together with Robert and things are spicing up now on end-Medieval early-Renaissance with me and Chandra ready for a [formal or joint w/ Bruce against Chandra] war (I want two cities of India) while at my south border Jadwiga keeps trying to convert my cities while I'm using a couple of apostles to hold out (my religion gives me money so is paramount to protect it). I asked promises for both of them and they declined and now I also have a Holy War Casus Belli if needed later.

The military numbers are high for everybody here. Robert was with war against Jad and went to capture Wrakow only to lose it when the Era changed and he got a dark age. Chandra went to capture Armagh early Medieval since he couldn't expand over me on early game (oh boy, but he built a army to try, don't know why changed his mind) and reinforce his walls since he denounced me.

Sometimes I feel that we as players need to do all those "rituals", or "acting" on those rules (promises, denounces, Casus bellis) so the AI can responde properly and even doing that you need to consider careful how much you will take on a war (or if you will take at all) to not disrupt diplomacy with other players. It's a interesting balance, but I believe some players want more action throughout the whole game.

On the aforementioned play, I'm allied with Robert (he is bottom low on score) and friendly with Ambiorix on the other continent. Don't want to commit with him yet bc he is in bad terms with Mvemba and Sendeok and I want to be able to trade with all of them until I see a clear opportunity to commit with someone there. I also try to influence on their results based on gossip (someone is at war, so let's see if they need luxury or strategic resources for wage war). Don't know if this helps, but it really makes thing immersive.

Like I said it seems the AI has improved somewhat from initial release. In another recent game, AI Inca conquered one city state and then tried to conquer another, and got crushed by the city state. It was hilarious but at least he tried to do something.

In the old days I'd discover AIs on another continent with 2 cities surrounded by vast expanse of empty land. Their military would consist of 3 units. It was utterly ridiculous and broken.

Does anyone remember in civ iv when a civ from the other side of the world would declare in you for no discernable reason, and then march a knight across the map that would be two eras old by the time it got anywhere? Do we mean that kind of more aggressive?

Last edited:
If you guys are searching for good ai challenge, try deity on civ4. That thing will leave you hopeless. Without any mods.

Does anyone remember in civ iv when a civ from the other side of the world would declare in you for no discernable reason, and then march a knight across the map that would be two eras old by the time it got anywhere? Do we mean that kind of more aggressive?
I've played Civ IV since release and no, I can't really remember that ever happening. The AI does silly things sometimes, sure, but they usually have military parity when they declare war on you.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

AI is very aggressive at times, on land at least. Can't remember AI being aggressive at sea, aside from Norway. I often see city states conquered by AI. What I noticed is AI is more aggressive on small maps when there is little space, especially on Terra.
Sometimes AI can be too passive but I prefer that to something like in TWW3 when AI sends his armies trough all the enemy provinces completely ignoring them, it's not a fun experience when AI starts targeting you.

Last edited:
AI is very aggressive at times, on land at least. Can't remember AI being aggressive at sea, aside from Norway.
I've had the AI be aggressive at sea once. I was Portugal in Huge Earth TSL and got into a war with Dido, she wreaked havoc on my trade routes until I managed to get a navy out and wreck her ships. It wasn't pleasant, but it's the only time I've had a real issue with enemy ships - barring Barbs.

I've played Civ IV since release and no, I can't really remember that ever happening. The AI does silly things sometimes, sure, but they usually have military parity when they declare war on you.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear
Oh it was an every game thing for me seemingly. Maybe a map settings thing or something. The close civs would attack reasonably but the far ones would do that and didn't seem to have anything to gain even if successful

There's always a reason, the reason being insufficiently friendly attitude towards you because of your previous actions, all those modifiers being clearly listed and can be checked at any time, and your low military might which can prompt AI into the plotting war mode which is then broadcasted by 'we have enough on our hands' attitude, leaving you to figure out who their potential target could be, based on their stances with everybody else. But if you don't look for the reason, you can think there is none.

I can't remember seeing one knight marched across the map, I find this hard to believe, this looks much more VI though. In IV, I remember a Shaka to declare on me from another side of the continent, and after quite some time of quiet, I detected in horror a huge stack being marched towards me which eventually killed all my cities, I was quite green then in IV. AI does send in stragglers, but for the initial DoW it is usually a stack of doom that crosses the border.

You can always play a total war game you know. It's a challenge from TW games. Encountered a Civ? instantly declare war on them. Never declare friends with anyone and do not accept peace if offered. You may need a mod that removes war weariness. Last game I played like that was as Norway, I was just raiding everyone with longships and berserkers on archipelago) it was a fun game, tons of free gold, faith, science and culture. In fact my whole economy was just that Norway raiding and it was entertaining as hell.

I wonder if there is a mod that forces everyone to be at war with each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom