What is the most balanced warmonger civ?

In retrospect, I'd like to get some clarification from the OP about what they mean by "balanced". I assume that they meant "can wage wage effectively while not neglecting other areas". By that metric, I stick with Germany and understand people saying England or Poland.

The people posting about the Zulus or Huns I have to disagree with: they can certainly kick a lot of ass, but I don't think they keep up that well in other game aspects. They're just really effective single-focus slayers of men and civ.

But China not only has the killer UU and GGs, but that papermaker creates a real incentive to crank out your library sooner. That extra money helps so much.

I like Askia. No excessively strong military bonuses, but you can make a lot of money throughout the game, especially early on.

what i found on this game is that the main issue when you are warmongering is happiness. I think any civ with easier happiness source as from religion or cs is actually a more balanced warmonger. In that matter, alex is a good one for me. Sweden also nice. The mayan with early atlatl rush is also not bad.

The people posting about the Zulus or Huns I have to disagree with: they can certainly kick a lot of ass, but I don't think they keep up that well in other game aspects. They're just really effective single-focus slayers of men and civ.

Other game aspects ?
Huns :
- Horse archer : composite early with same costs, 4 movement against 2 upgrade to knights.
- Battering ram : upgrade to trebuchet. + 300 against cities (I don't remember if they keep it with upgrade. If yes, what an artillery) so you need less units to get a city.
- UA :Raze city faster. One free tech (and it's AH) and +1h per pasture.

Fast dom, early boosts. I don't know what you need more ?

For Navy, frigate is enough. England frigate is just a bonus. For Archipelago, I prefer Byzantium or Dutch for healing outside of friendly territory.
For late dom, between navigation and artillery, i'll go for artillery. After, you have flight - electronics.

In retrospect, I'd like to get some clarification from the OP about what they mean by "balanced". I assume that they meant "can wage wage effectively while not neglecting other areas". By that metric, I stick with Germany and understand people saying England or Poland.

Somewhat counterintuitively, when the OP said "balanced", he meant "can clear out their starting continent fast and then go on to conquer the other continent easily", not "can warmonger and do other things at the same time". Not what I would have meant by "balanced", I know.

The new Germany without a doubt! You can do anything with them - and unlike other "warmonger" civ's they are balanced by giving you a boost to production through the Hanse as well as encouraging you to play nice with CS's - which helps your overall play, a free army at the beginning of the game through taking barbarian encampments, and a strong economy by getting a reduction in the army upkeep.

And then - you get Panzers - to which there is no answer.

Other game aspects ?
Huns :
- Horse archer : composite early with same costs, 4 movement against 2 upgrade to knights.
- Battering ram : upgrade to trebuchet. + 300 against cities (I don't remember if they keep it with upgrade. If yes, what an artillery) so you need less units to get a city.
- UA :Raze city faster. One free tech (and it's AH) and +1h per pasture.

Fast dom, early boosts. I don't know what you need more ?

For Navy, frigate is enough. England frigate is just a bonus. For Archipelago, I prefer Byzantium or Dutch for healing outside of friendly territory.
For late dom, between navigation and artillery, i'll go for artillery. After, you have flight - electronics.

Somewhat counterintuitively, when the OP said "balanced", he meant "can clear out their starting continent fast and then go on to conquer the other continent easily", not "can warmonger and do other things at
the same time". Not what I would have meant by "balanced", I know.

Yeah, my interpretation of balanced is more along the lines of "can warmonger without falling behind in science, culture, and wealth". The Germans free up a lot of production early game (not having to build many units), so they don't have to neglect culture or science buildings. The UA saves maintenance costs, allowing either a bigger military at same cost or a comparable one at a discount.

The Huns on the other hand have two utterly lethal UUs and a useful UA to go rushing people, but will suffer an opportunity cost to really take full advantage. Very strong but not well rounded.

I hadn't interpreted the op to mean balanced as "can kick ass at all times"; that's a harder question to answer. Anyone with a good early unit can qualify just by upgrading their hordes of well promoted dudes. I've gone on full game rampages with jaguars promoted over eras. The Zulu are a good candidate here as they'll be more highly promoted, and former impi are still terrifying.

Hey thanks for all the replies guys. What I meant with balanced warmonger I said before, but I'll clarify - I meant a civ that can put out aggression early and NOT lose steam later. For example, if I took the huns, sure, they can wipe a continent fast. But what happens when theres someone else on another continent who also took out the competition? Chances are, the huns are behind even though they took their continent first - by the time they tech up to invade they are behind.
I tried Poland (deity). Their UA is amazing, and their UU as well, but unfortunately it upgrades into trash. I must say I prefer nations that have strong/defining UUs more than anything else. Perhaps thats why I cant stand sitting back and watching the Ai throwing missionaries at me.

Assyria is great. They have good fallback, and their passive ability makes them great throughout the game if you decide to warmonger later on. Keep a healthy strain of captured cities to keep yourself updated.

I also find Byzantium to be quite good, overall. The Dromon is good for coastal captures before galleass, and they have that free religious belief. Good for passive-aggressive expansion and throwing cataphracts on everyone's borders.

Chineses and Mayans are probably the most balanced. 1 civ is all about his strong UU and free gold from his UB and the other is all about tech rate and free and early great people. They have great tolls to make a warmonger happy.

Incans are solid too.

Hey thanks for all the replies guys. What I meant with balanced warmonger I said before, but I'll clarify - I meant a civ that can put out aggression early and NOT lose steam later. For example, if I took the huns, sure, they can wipe a continent fast. But what happens when theres someone else on another continent who also took out the competition? Chances are, the huns are behind even though they took their continent first - by the time they tech up to invade they are behind.
I tried Poland (deity). Their UA is amazing, and their UU as well, but unfortunately it upgrades into trash. I must say I prefer nations that have strong/defining UUs more than anything else. Perhaps thats why I cant stand sitting back and watching the Ai throwing missionaries at me.
Then I guess you should look for civs with one or combination of the following:
1. Units whose promotions/abilities are carried over with future upgrades
2. Good land/navy balance: England, Ottomans
3. Significant tech advantage: Babylon, Korea, Maya
4. Number/resource advantage: Zulu, Germany, Arabia, Russia
5. Other great factors: Poland, China, Assyria, Inca, Shoshone

Cho-ku-nos double tap carries over, but unless you get the range promotion, when it goes to GG, you lose range.

But China not only has the killer UU and GGs, but that papermaker creates a real incentive to crank out your library sooner. That extra money helps so much.

Yes, as it turns what would be a money sinker into a money generator. It can help pay for other improvements or units, which is very helpful early game.

Don't know why there is so little love in CFC for China, other than it is "boring". Two great helps to military, incentive to build library to help science, and $ to help with everything else. One of, if not the best, civ, in my opinion.

Probably Huns for the +1 production from pastures

Don't know why there is so little love in CFC for China, other than it is "boring". Two great helps to military, incentive to build library to help science, and $ to help with everything else. One of, if not the best, civ, in my opinion.
It seems you missed the answers to your own thread.

Also the inevitable transition from Gatling Guns to Artillery doesn't make China the #1 fit for OP's definition of a "balanced" warmonger (but IMO it's still in top 5 due to UA).

Didn't forget - that's where I saw the boring part. And all UUs either have transition issues, or come late. I would rather have a UU that gives some help all game, than is not there until the end of the game. But I don't turtle.

Didn't forget - that's where I saw the boring part. And all UUs either have transition issues, or come late. I would rather have a UU that gives some help all game, than is not there until the end of the game. But I don't turtle.
Many other civs have a much smoother transition.

Zulu's Ikanda promotions apply to all melee land units - including Horsemen that later turn into tanks.
Germany's UA creates a good meat shield for early warmongering, followed up by Panzers (you can capture barbarian horsemen for future upgrade).
England's Longbowmen offset the downside of default Gatling Guns. SotL is self-explanatory and later can turn into Battleships covered by England's UA.
Arabia's Camel Archers are insane, rivaled only by Keshiks. And when the time comes to turn them into landships you'll most likely have plenty of Oil to sustain your land, naval and air units.

By the way, we should probably ask OP for the difficulty level.

Top Bottom