World Builder faster river placement

dben89x

Chieftain
Hi, new to the forum, and I couldn't find a post about this which surprised me... so if there's something already up on this issue, please provide a link :)

My question concerns the placement of rivers on world builder. Is there a way to randomize the river placement? I'm making a Huge map with 12 civs. I'd like each to have rivers all around them, like the random maps usually have. I see the option to place rivers across each point on each hex, but if I were to do that method of clicking from point to point for the entire map it would take hours... and I don't have the patience to figure out where I'd even want to put the rivers for them to be a random placement.

Is there a method other than this that allows for quicker river placement? Like an option to paint, similar to the terrain paint? Or is there a way I can randomize it across the whole map? If not, this seems like a HUGE design flaw of the world builder that I'm sure has frustrated others and could be easily implemented.

If there's some randomizing option I'm not seeing, could something similar be done with city state placement? I'd be willing to put in some lines of code that use like... map coordinates that get passed to a math.random type of method... if the editor is that sophisticated...

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

There is nothing in World Builder to do that, but you can do it by adding a script to your mod that runs after the game map has been generated from the world builder map, but before the player sees it - this is how the "random" maps in the DLCs do it. You'll need to generate (or know) some river start positions and then call the DoRiver() function (in MapGenerator.lua) to create a random river from that point to the sea

Whoward, where would I look to find a template for this sort of script? (i.e. the original game implementation, probably--the files are a bit confusing at times [for instance, I can't, for the life of me, find the artdefines for citadels...])

Awesome, thanks!

Love the mods by the way!

Another question: I noticed that roads are able to have improvements over them. This makes me wonder: can I define a texture+model (most likely the Feitoria, mott-and-bailey, and uh...berringer crater...) as a road/railroad-style asset somehow (I know you made the TBM produce a route improvement)? I'd like to add a type of build that drops a standard fortification texture (or berringer crater) on the plot as a route, then puts a non-route improvement (with defense bonuses) on the plot.

That way I can make castle villages with palisades (feitoria), foxholes with woodworks (crater), and walled forts (Mott&bailey).

I'd ask via PMs but I can't (understandably) PM you.

Thanks.

I have almost zero experience with texture/graphical mods. Suggest you start a new thread and hope someone with much more ability strolls past

Edit: And please don't PM me, I (almost) never answer modding questions by PM as that way the knowledge transfer is lost to the community … ask questions in the forums, then anyone can chip in and others following along behind will benefit :)

Alright, I'll head over to the main forum.

Makes sense! There's too little info on this jungle of a game anyway.

Top Bottom