Conquests: Age of Discovery strategy/tip thread

Disappointed! Is that true? Several cities sharing the same resource. I put my cities 2-3 tiles apart in this scenario.

completed it last night as the English. played on Regent cause I just wanted a nice quick game. Loaded up my settlers and took the carabean (spelling) islands, after that I took what I suppose was northern US / southern Canada and just sat back and won via victory points. it was at the pointwhere I had more treasure than units to transfer them home. Ended the game at war with the Iroquois cause I got bored, I'd taken all of their cities in Eastern US, leaving them some in the deserts of the West. No European wars unfortunately, although the dutch were asking for it on more than one occasion

Now I have another question. Let's say there's a tiny island in the Caribbean that has a forest and a spice on it. The island is so small that it is only one tile large. To build a city on it, I would have to clear the forest first, right? In doing so, wouldn't I also clear the valuable spices that I seek so dearly?

Benderino said:
Do treasure units appear at different intervals for different resources (for instance, every 10 turns for a fur trapper, while only every 5 turns for a silver mine)?

To summarize:

Mines:

A gold mine produces one treasure unit every 3 turns.
A gem mine produces one treasure unit every 5 turns.
A silver mine produces one treasure unit every 5 turns.

These mines increases tax revenue allocated to the treasury by 50% in the city where it's built.

Factory:

A spice factory produces one treasure unit every 10 turns.
Production is increased by 25% in the city.

Plantations:

A tobacco plantation produces one treasure unit every 8 turns.
A sugar plantation produces one treasure unit every 10 turns.
Production is increased by 25% in the city.

Camp:

A trapper camp produces one treasure unit every 12 turns.
The camp also causes the city to produce one extra commerce in every water square that already produces one.

Thanks for the info trooper :goodjob: , this will come in extra handy ;) .
I had some trouble with this scenario :confused: , not really knowing what
to do at the beginning- now I will have some specific goals, plus testing has
helped me figure out the best city locations for my next try. This one hasn't
really been my 'cup of tea' so far :blush: .

@dgfred: it is just pedia text put together. Load your settlers/colonists and set sail for the new world. I prefer to settle Cuba, Venezuela, Guyana etc first. Research for colonization and mining. Happy gaming! ;)

i've enjoyed playing with the aztecs and colonizing europe.i've sent explorers with the army :cool: .i used the save game editor but it was fun..

thetrooper said:
@dgfred: it is just pedia text put together. Load your settlers/colonists and set sail for the new world. I prefer to settle Cuba, Venezuela, Guyana etc first. Research for colonization and mining. Happy gaming! ;)

I don't have the patience to look up things such as this while playing :mischief: , so it is nice to have it printed out from the
forum on a handy sheet of paper :D .

Currently playing as France. Spain started an early war with Portugal, so I got in on it (as Spain's ally) and picked up some gold and workers from Spain for the privilege. Took out the Portuguese cities on the mainland and most of their Caribbean island colonies then made peace. Sent settlers (and later colonists) to the Caribbean also ... Cuba is just too good not to take a shot at. Finally built enough strength to take out Spain on the continent ... got all the Indian civs to declare against Spain and watched their colonial empire get decimated by the Iroquois, to whom I had sold and gifted a boatload of techs. Now I have treasure rolling in at a steady pace and a huge army to support on the continent. Have been eying the Dutch, just to give the Army something to do. If I do, I'll use the Indians to go for their colonial empire, just I did Spain. Watching the Aztecs who are moving toward a one city cultural victory ... will transfer part of the Army to Cuba to be a ready reserve in case they get too close. Biggest problem has been building a fleet big enough to haul the treasure to France in a timely manner. BTW, playing on Monarch.

Well... I don't like to play this scenario war-like, esp not against the other european powers. If some of them declares war on me I usually start over again. Privateers - that's another story ;) Plunder their treasure transports!

In two test on emperor and diety I played as France and immediately went
for Leo's Workshop :rolleyes: . In each case I was beaten to it, on emperor
by 7 turns :mad: . I just got to have it, whether by capture or building :mischief: . I guess I will try next on monarch ;) or play as Portugal/
Spain to be able to build it. Got to have my Leo's :crazyeye: .

socralynnek said:
I won this scenario by the following strategy:

I took Portugal and build some cities on the carribean islands.
After that I let the Spanish take my european cities, so my capital moved to the carribean.
There I could easily produce 1 treasure every 2 turns which could be brought to my capital almost instantly.
Since I were on islands, the Native americans and the other European powers were no threat to me, and I easily won with four times the VPs than the second one.

I just used your tactics, only I played as Duchs.
I simply made fast a lot of setlers, workers & pikemans and loaded in ships. Moved to South America and simply abonded European cities. Made 5 new cities and developed very fast becouse closenest of palace. I won 40 turns before the end of scenario (owned at that moment almost whole South America and some spots in Africa n Caribes).
It was fun game to play and unusual.

Thanks for inspiration!! :goodjob: :king:

I liked this Conquest in presentation, but in play I thought it was broken. I've won it as Spain and England (Monarch) by more-or-less doing the same as everyone else, but I it seemed kinda boring. I really wanted to play a game where I got my colonial capital up and started a booming New World empire which would allow me to go whoop the French or whoever. No dice. The game runs out before the Colonial Capital is done. Now, I could have gotten lucky and picked up a leader, but despite lots of careful use of knights and taking out multiple new world civs, I've yet to get a leader in this Conquest. Thus the Colonial Capital takes forever to build. How lame. Anyone mod the cost of the improvement in order to make it playable?

Structure said:
Anyone mod the cost of the improvement in order to make it playable?

yep,built mine in barcelona,as the aztecs... :mischief:

Structure said:
I really wanted to play a game where I got my colonial capital up and started a booming New World empire which would allow me to go whoop the French or whoever. No dice. The game runs out before the Colonial Capital is done.
I found that with careful placement, the CC can be built quite a while before game end, even without a Leader. Especially playing England or Portugal - sail due west and find a good spot between Nova Scotia and Carolina. They made distance corruption low in this scenario (thank God!) so you'll find that you can ship workers over to clear forests, irrigate, mine, etc and soon have decent shield production. Get a Harbor connected with a lux, iron, tobacco, fur and horse, and you can build that New World Empire!

Hurry courthouse and a plantation (25% increase in production) or a spice factory (25% increase in production) in your CC city before you start building the CC.

A nice CC spot: where the Orinoco meets the ocean (Venezuela). Irrigate the cattle and mine the iron hill.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
...but you can build several (6, IIRC) cities around a single resource, and have the appropriate improvement in all cities. Another :cry:....

Actually you can build 7 cities that use a single resource. You forgot that there can be placed a city on the resource itself :p
Just had to point it out ;)

Top Bottom