football thread No11

It's routine. Given that Southampton have been rather poor in recent times, you haven't had to experience it. Whichever 'plucky' team gets to 8th or 9th next year (15-9-14 or maybe a bit more) will be disassembled with surgical precision next summer. And it goes on and on and on…

Generally other teams in the same situation have only sold one or two of their best players although what Southampton are doing might be more sensible as so far they have sold each of the players for a lot of money which they can re invest without having unhappy players or selling them cheaply next season when performances are not as good.

Generally other teams in the same situation have only sold one or two of their best players although what Southampton are doing might be more sensible as so far they have sold each of the players for a lot of money which they can re invest without having unhappy players or selling them cheaply next season when performances are not as good.
It might be better than Newcastle's approach, yes.
I think Southampton are disbanding and giving away their stuff.
If they had one of the old stadiums with stands, you could take some wooden boards to make benches.

Joel Campbell finally training with the Arsenal squad this season, I hope he stays there, although I recon his chances aren't very good, since Arsenal has so many strikers, one of them the mighty Alexis "Maravilla" Sánchez...

There were rumours early last week that Campbell might be involved in a trade with AC Milan in order to get Balotelli to the Gunners, but the Milan president denied them. I guess we have to wait and see...

I think with Walcott still not due to return till to september, and it looking likely gnabry and probably sanago will be out on loan i think campbell will get a few chances this season

We really don't have many strikers, or at least we don't have many players that Wenger is willing to play as striker. And we'll have an injury crisis at least twice this season so I'm sure he'd get a chance.

^^ I would enjoy seeing that. There is something likeable about Martinez and his approach with Everton. Lukaku had already snubbed Mourinho last season, I will love it if he moves to Everton and does it again :lol:

what's more, everyone thought that chelsea bringing drogba back would be for one essentially purpose:

Drogba: (caut) "Hey, Mou, what's up?"
Jose: (calm) "As a senior member of the team, I would like you to tutor Romelu Lukaku"
Drogba: (caut) "I can't see why not."
Jose: (calm) "I'll just invite Romelu into the room."
Lukaku: (caut) "Hey, Mou, what do you need me for?"
Jose: (calm) "I think your game would benefit learning from Didier Drogba."
Lukaku: (calm) "Sure thing, coach."
End of conservation

This came up over in the rants thread:

For the love of God, please stop, you pretentious soccer people!!

Okay, I live in America. Over here, it is called soccer, not football. I don't really care that other countries call it football, that's fine and dandy. We call hoods hoods and the Brits call them bonnets. Nobody bats an eye over that goofiness. But holy Moses on his mountain, don't dare call soccer soccer. I'm sick of it.

And the club names are even starting to display this idiocy. FC Kansas City?! Wtf man, Kansas City already has a football club. It's called the Chiefs. Though I guess I should be grateful it doesn't at least -sound- as bad as the other moronic name for a KC soccer team. "Sporting Kansas City" Woo, color me inspired.

*sigh* Okay, rant over.

I'd imagine you are quite satisfied with the new Orlando City SC, taking the European-style naming but with an Ahmurikan twist.

EDIT: I should I'm really happy with Utah's team name, Real Salt Lake. 'cuz that fake one was really confusing.

Well at least SC is 'correct' but by all the Gods of Kobol, it's still boring as hell.

I kinda like it when team nicknames are unofficial or sorta of an inside thing. Our old high school teams were like that--we used the school mascot "Mustangs" for short, but otherwise we were the so-and-so high school robotics team, or the chess club, or whatever.

It'd be funny if a bunch of the US MLS teams started switching from FC to SC. Maybe if the new Atlanta and Miami teams incorporate SC it would catch on, then we could convince New York, Dallas, and Seattle to switch.

So, is there a petition to start changing over all the MLS team names to soccer clubs instead of football clubs? Should we start one? I think it would emphasize our USA #1-ness and is therefore a good idea.

Apparently skysports reported that Wolfsburg and Lukaku have had an agreement in place for a while. Strike another success for the Wolfsburg project, the midfield is scary, dealing with defense is the issue.

Poor Wolfsburg. They'll be stuck in an Ajax-like position where they qualify for and be destroyed in the Champions League every year, but never drop low enough to qualify for the winnable UEFA Cup.

Or find a way to get knocked out of Champions league position by neverkusen once again somehow.

Also Defensor played quite a show, especially in the second half. While Bolivar may want to show something for their fans, I don't think the game will be anywhere close to as fun as today's...

San Lorenzo are friggin' favourites to win the friggin' Libertadores, unless they manage to pull off one of their historic bottlings.

Everton set to sign Lukaku for £23.7m. What an exceptional signing. Probably going to reach 20 goals next season providing he stays fit. Cannot think of any superior strikers his age.

Top Bottom