How to remove an Era

Chieftain
Hi All

Sounds simple and maybe I'm missing the obvious... Have 4 Eras wish to have only 3, but unable to actually remove the 4th.

Once you have increased the number of eras you seem unable to reduce them?

The Conquests scenarios simply replace the eras they don't use with "The Future" and stuff like that. That'd probably be the best bet.

Hmm what I mean is I only want it to show 3 eras, but in game it shows the link to the 4th era which is not used. Is there any way to delete it so the link to the 4th is not shown in the 3rd era? you cannot leave it blank.

On a side issue I run Windows 7 which updated a few days ago, are you aware Civ 3 will not run from disc after the security updates... and it's NOT just Civ 3.

Spent most of the day frothing at the mouth and cursing MS only way to resolve was to down load none CD version from Steam £2.99, bad news I need to slightly rework my mods, the good news is it all seems so much smoother and the sound quality is simply fantastic.

I ran disc version yesterday and it seemed to run fine. Do you mean that it wont run and go into the game? or it crashes on menus ingame?

No it's a new security update from Microsoft, that stops the CD working it's my understanding it will no longer work on 7,8,10 windows.

It's something to do with the CD protection MS don't like it! There is some info on the web and possible work rounds, most of the complaint are about 10, but the patch for 7 was only on the 9/9/15.

Dont want to continue talking about this too much as it wasnt the original topic question, but I ran the CivChronicles Civ3 Complete yesterday and today and it works fine. For Win7 fully updated. I mainly use steam version, but I ran the disc version yesterday for something.

No it's been working on Windows 7 for years this is not an isolated case there are other people having this issue after security update.

Hmm what I mean is I only want it to show 3 eras, but in game it shows the link to the 4th era which is not used. Is there any way to delete it so the link to the 4th is not shown in the 3rd era? you cannot leave it blank.

Back to 1st topic, I'm afraid there's no way you can delete the 4th era. Obviously you can leave it blank, with a big "?" in the "unknown future" era Dumanios was refering to:

The Conquests scenarios simply replace the eras they don't use with "The Future" and stuff like that. That'd probably be the best bet.

Actually I was thinking maybe a nice pic or... could use it for credits, as there are an awful lot of people here I really need to credit!

Thanks All.

On a side note, you cannot increase the number of eras. There are 4 of them, and you can choose to reduce to 3, 2 or 1.

The quasi-exception to this is if you use Steph's Expanded Editor, where he was adding support for more than 4 eras with the last few updates. It does require editing the save game at a certain point to remove the first era and add the fifth, but I think he got it more or less working. Not entirely sure though, as I haven't personally played around with it.

Otherwise, there is indeed a 4-era limitation, with Dumanois's suggestions the typical workaround. Alternately, a few scenarios have done away with eras as technical progress, started all civs in the Future Era, made all techs non-required-for-advanced, and used the eras to group techs by area, such as military/economic/naval/etc. The downside being that you can't make, say, a military tech depend on an economic one. But it's another option.

Top Bottom