The Iliad

Test ok for me also.Played first turn no problems.

I thought we were having random leaders and not picking on a first come first served basis?

Well, we will be starting with three AI civs, trying to avoid the necessity of having rule about no war for the first ten turns and I was trying to figure out a way to protect them.

One way was to restrict entrance to the game to players only. That was why I put a password on the server, which would minimise what is already only a small risk.

But I am happy to be democratic about this, if there is a good reason and the majority feel strongly that they do not want a password on the server I will be happy to drop it. If anything goes wrong, which I doubt, we could always restart the game.

Please tell me you're not planning on putting a password on the game server when we really get started...

As long as you only PM or e-mail people the IP, then a password on the game is unnecessary, really... and is just a pain in CB's ass: its his pet peeve of PTBS games. :lol: But a fair one.

And I'm expecting that noone gets killed in the first while, and I can march in and claim one of those 3 leftover civs. :)

No cheating though - nobody try out one civ, decide they don't like it, and snag a better placed one! ;)

The way Pitboss works, I can set it up such that the computer chooses which civs and leaders will be in the game. After that it is a first come, first served basis as stated in the notes in the first posting of this thread.

I think that it is possible to do it another way with a true random distribution but I would prefer to keep it simple. However. if the majority would like to try this I am happy to but we would have to test it. It would mean that all players would have to be on-line at the same time at the beginning and I suspect that we might well run into frustrating technical problems.

Personally I do not think it is a good idea. :hammer2:

But... I will announce the start time at least 24 hours before the game start.

... and I can tell you now that assuming all goes well with the test server, having looked at players time zones, I am thinking of starting at 22:00 UTC on Saturday May 19th. This will be afternoon/early evening in North America, late night in Europe and early morning (the following day) in Australasia.

Bolkonsky. ;)

Test OK for me (but as I'm playing/have played many ptbs games, I was sure of my firewall)
I hope civilisations will be randomly distributed, and not "first in, best choice"... ;-)

Test ok for me also.Played first turn no problems.

I thought we were having random leaders and not picking on a first come first served basis?

So, you are concerned that some interloper who knows your IP addy might crash the party and glom onto one of the AI's? It's hard for me to believe that could happen. Also, would not that intrusion be seen on civstats?

I think the unlikly situation of somebody ditching the first civ and grabbing another would also be revealed by civstats.

Maybe I'm missing something.:confused:

OK, after getting the connect data I was able to join the game on the test server as Napolean.

Clams x2, stone and banana! I'm sure in the real game I'll have mountains and desert. :lol:

Usually, when people want to host games with Random leaders. they do it thusly:

Assign each player a number.

When they log in, they count that many spaces down the list, and that's the empire they get, no whining.

That way it's random, and no one gets an advantage just for being the first to log in on the first turn.

When they log in, they count that many spaces down the list, and that's the empire they get, no whining.

That way it's random, and no one gets an advantage just for being the first to log in on the first turn.

Just to add to this, you could assign people numbers by the alphabetical order of their names on civfanatics.

So if it were just myself and CB, he would be 1 and I would be 2.

And yes, I agree with CB on both counts: no password for the server, assign each player a number for which civ they get.

Thank you for a very helpful suggestion. :clap:

I have just allocated numbers to all players.

You may see them below and in the first posting of this thread.

Also I will shut down and restart the test server and ask players to log in again to ensure everyone has the idea.

Civilizations & Leaders

Bolkonsky (1)
the oob (2)
namliaM (3)
classical_hero (4)
Wittlich (5)
WarningU2 (6)
whiplash_CDC (7)
portuga (8)
Pinchak (9)
Rycheman (10)
Maydrock (11)
Toni (12)
amh52 (13)
Niamor (14)
Beta (15)

Reserve list

JMaltman (16)
GFletch (17)
cds0528 (18)

B. ;)

OK, is this the real start then?

This is still the test server.

As stated in a previous post I plan on starting the game proper at 22:00 UTC on Saturday May 19th and I will give players at least 24 hours notice.

Just to add to this, you could assign people numbers by the alphabetical order of their names on civfanatics.

And yes, I agree with CB on both counts: no password for the server, assign each player a number for which civ they get.

FYI I allocated numbers in the order that players signed up for the game.

That's an even better idea for assigning random leaders.

No worries if you've already assigned the numbers.

Top Bottom