Rebalancing combat?

layelaye

Warlord
Hello. i was thinking of making a very small mod to rebalance the game's combat system.

PROBLEM: Ranged units being vastly overpowered compared to the other units in most eras, to the point players only build 1-2 melee units to take cities and that's it.
SOLUTION: Give all ranged units a -20% combat penalty against any wounded unit. This makes them more of a "support" unit and less of a main force, as finishing enemies with melee might be easier.

PROBLEM: Siege units are useless the first half of the game. Using the ranged units is much more efficient for damaging cities.
SOLUTION: Give ranged units a -33% combat penalty against cities. Buff siege units somehow. I've heard the cover 1 promotion is bugged and wont work on siege units, but that could be a solution. Another more daring solution would be to give all siege units a range of 3 (which was more similar to what happened in real life) but also remove their city damage bonus, and maybe make them even more easily killable, via reducing their combat strength. the setup could also be made to take 2 movement points, so they cant seyup and fire the same turn.

PROBLEM: Melee units cant take cities unless they have overwhelming numbers or ranged support.
SOLUTION: Give all melee units a city damage bonus, cant remember the promo's name.

There is also the problem of mounted units being underused, but im not sure what to do with that.

I know of his mod, this is where i got some of the ideas. Problem for me, it does a bunch of other stuff im not interested in (sych as the 0 maintenance monuments).

I'd like to make a mod that adresses combat and combat alone; nothing else.

Top Bottom