New Screenshots at GameSpot

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
GameSpot has posted three new Civ3 screenshots showing a completed spaceship, a negotiation screen, and a view of one of the palaces that will appear in the game.
<a href="http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2807241,00.html" target=link>Check them out!</a>

A real spaceship after all!!!
i wander whether the spaceship will change during it´s journey, losing boosters for instance.
what do you think, can the ship be launched when everything isn´t 100 but 75% ready ?
i liked the fact in civ2 that i could build a small, cheap ship and launch it early, or build afaster, better spaceship so i could arrive before an opponent - whom had allready launched.

May be even we can see how the parts are getting together... And that is a good remark! Will we be able to lunch smaller and cheap ones or we need to finished completely?

There was a previous release (one of the screen savers) that showed the spaceship in the launching pad... And it is the same. I tried to upload the image (148kb) but it says all the time the the maximun size is overpassed. So... you need to look for it

I notice that there are now 10 parts to the spaceship - will this mean it takes longer to build? Maybe needing more techs as well?And there's nothing on the screen saying how long it's going to take or the chance of survival - maybe you can only have one size of spaceship now? But that would take some of the strategy out of it, which would be a backward step.

I'm not sure if I prefer this spaeship to the TOT version though - though I like the idea of a party lounge . Be interesting to see what it looks like while being built.

Well, this is nit-picky, but that's how these boards are...

What a phallic ship! Why the aerodynamics and fins? Why no rotation/artificial gravity? I hope the party lounge has it's floor towards the rear or there will be lots of spilled drinks! This makes me wonder if the art design team from SMAC (which had a decent science fiction basis) was involved with Civ3.

Cleopatra's back to being sub-Saharan African. I hadn't seen before that the world map was color coded by civ. Looks like the standard 7 civs. Note that the random map generation has some of the same problems as civ2. I hadn't commented on the other board (and it's too late now) but I think the earth's land masses have a fractal dimension that could be applied to random generation of maps to make the "clumpiness" more realistic.

That's enough ranting for now. I'm still very anxious for my first game and pleased that the beta seems on schedule. Do you think the beta testers can possibly have as many hours played on civ/civ2/smac than the typical CivFanatic?

------------------
<FONT COLOR="blue"><FONT size="4">Phorever</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">Phalanx</FONT c></FONT s>

<FONT size="2">"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." Winston Churchill</FONT s>

Originally posted by Phorever Phalanx:
Note that the random map generation has some of the same problems as civ2. I hadn't commented on the other board (and it's too late now) but I think the earth's land masses have a fractal dimension that could be applied to random generation of maps to make the "clumpiness" more realistic.

Actually this was discussed in the Suggestions and Ideas forum, but I don't rememember the thread name.

But which map looked screwy to you? They all looked realistically 'clumpy' to me.

EDIT: Never mind, I went back and now see what you mean. A bit stringy, though not as bad as most random maps I've seen in Civ2. Let's hope that's an example of the archipelago setting.

Love the colour coding though!

------------------
<center><FONT COLOR="blue"> Did you ever stop to think that, if gh stood for p as in hiccough; ough for o as in dough; phth for t as in phthisis; eigh for a as in neighbour; tte for t as in gazette; and eau for o as in beau; then the correct spelling of potato would be ghoughphtheightteeau?</FONT c></center>

[This message has been edited by goodbye_mr_bond (edited August 24, 2001).]

Top Bottom