The Naming Thread!

Niklas

Fully Functional
GOTM Staff
Taking the cue from Earthling, figuring everything out to the second digit is definitely one part of the fun for a game like this, but just as fun is the ambience that we create. And a big part of that is coming up with names for things! :)

Things that we can name in the game are obviously Cities and Units. But we could also give names to the geography around us, like oceans, rivers, continents, mountain ranges, lakes, anything we like. It's not just for fun either - it helps communication among those who are on the same page with the names.

So let the fun begin! Currently we need names for our exploring warrior, and for our newly built worker. We might also consider whether we really want our capitol to be called Lisbon (boooring), or if we want something more imaginative. Just changing that to Lisboa would be 100x better IMO. But maybe someone has something even better. Let us know!

If we go for naming geography, I'll add a few overview screenshots to this post with the names written out, just for fun. :)

I like the idea of going with authentic Portuguese spelling for each city. I also very much like the idea of naming the mountain ranges and rivers. Those I think we ought to try to be somewhat original with.

It may be a little uninspired to name a great big winding river "serpent" but the Portuguese word for serpent is sermão and that sounds pretty nifty to me. We do have a river worthy of the name.

I like the idea of naming the mountain ranges a lot as well. We may want to expose more of them and have a better idea of their scale before naming them though.

As far as the warrior, I really do approve of naming him, but I would kinda rather wait til we know he will survive the barbarian phase before getting attached to the little guy.

*edit* I like Earthling's suggestion that we name our worker. Perhaps Lisboa + whatever "Corps. of Engineers" is in Portuguese?

Rolo is probably the man to ask on names in portoguese. But what about Eldorado? (the hidden city of gold that the cavaliers were looking for in south america or something)?

I think calling our first worker up after Niklas the internal affairs manager(Hence naming him simply "Niklas") would be fitting. Likewise the warrior could be named Turtle or Purple or anything else(Purple cavalier?)...

I am all for naming featuers(especially the river and the mountains, and maybe the sea and the vale between the mountains). But i suck at comming up with names.

That is a really good idea Oyzar. I like the idea of naming the worker Niklas, and it does my ego a great service to have the warrior named something with either Purple or Turtle or their portuguese counterparts in it. Though, I should point out, naming the warrior after me would almost certainly doom him :eek:.

Oh and we should name our bureaucracy capital El Dorado imho :)

I'm sure rolo would strangle you for suggesting a Spanish name for it. ;)

Lisboa would be fine, though I would like to suggest Castelo as an alternate. We are the Cavaleiros after all, wouldn't it make sense to have our capitol be our castle? O Castelo dos Cavaleiros if we wanted the full version.

What about serpents head(in protuguese) if we name the river serpent?

Cool ideas guys! I agree about naming some units with stuff related to the members of the team... it would be really fun...
Castelo dos Cavaleiros sounds good too. :)

I think there have been some decent suggestions, I support River Serpent (Sermão?), and the capital to be either Serpants head, or Castelo Dos Cavaleiros, unit naming-wise, Niklas the worker is fine with me, for the warrior I would be glad to see "purple knight" in portuguese.

Also, the great mountain range north of us could be "Sullla's Wall"? :p

all of the mountains are sulla's wall would be better to call parts of them something different. Now where is Ricardo to translate for us(i am too lazy to use google even :p).

Thinking a bit nerdy, wouldn't wind blowing from the sea cause lots of rain near those mountains? Perhaps we should name the closest range of them the Tears of Heaven, Burmecian Mountains or something else, rain-inspired...?

EDIT: Tears of Heaven roughly translates to "Lágrimas do Céu". Sounds well enough for me.

Google says Sermão = sermon, not serpent which would be serpente.

Serpent River = Rio Serpente
Serpent's Head = Cabeça da Serpente

Purple Turtle = Tartaruga Roxo for our warrior

Niklas ~= Nicolau for the worker

I would support all of the above, and I also think "Lágrimas do Céu" is an excellent suggestion for the mountains.

Rio Sermão and Cabeça da Sermão sounds better.

I think Eye of the Serpent would also be cool, but I like all of those, including the "castle" one. Maybe we need a poll. :)

Olho da Serpente i like that.

Like these suggestions quite a bit too - but I'd also be worried that this warrior is just going to get himself killed. I could sympathize with wanting a bit of a more noble unit. I also like Castelo for the city right now as well.

Like these suggestions quite a bit too - but I'd also be worried that this warrior is just going to get himself killed. I could sympathize with wanting a bit of a more noble unit. I also like Castelo for the city right now as well.

Need I say anything? Earthling was completely right here :sad: Let's use team member names for GGs instead (if we don't settle em all), or atleast elite units...?

Top Bottom