Taking over another holy city..

DabigQuack

Chieftain
Can u eliminate the religion from that city entirely? and switch it over to your religion or will that city always been that religions holy city no matter what u do?

It will always be the holy city. But you can get the pressure for your religiong to be higher, and inquisitor their religion out of it, so that their old religion will never re-emerge.

What I want is a way to become the founder and get the founder benefit for their religion as if it were yours.

What I want is a way to become the founder and get the founder benefit for their religion as if it were yours.

AFAIR this happens in the Renaissance scenario when you capture a holy city. I always wondered why they didn't implement this in the main game.

Can you remove a religion from a holy city using a Great Prophet? I believe Great Prophets also remove religion like inquisitors, correct?

A Great Prophet removes followers of a religion, but does not eliminate a holy city's holy city status (with its special internal pressure). Only an inquisitor can do that.

I think there should be a way for you to become a sponsor of the religion somehow, and therefore get founder's benefit from it. It should cost you - maybe some kind of grand-temple equivalent. The question is what happens if you already have a religion. Lots of pre-modern states tolerated two religions quite well.

I think there should be a way for you to become a sponsor of the religion somehow, and therefore get founder's benefit from it. It should cost you - maybe some kind of grand-temple equivalent. The question is what happens if you already have a religion. Lots of pre-modern states tolerated two religions quite well.

Maybe there should be some national church type mechanic, which affects religious pressure/happiness based upon majority followers. That way if you capture an holy city, you could potentially take advantage of it, but not be able to have founder beliefs of two religions at once. Didn't Civ 4 do something like this?

I've been eliminating Holy Cities with Great Prophets when their civilization is wiped out in G&K. Am I mistaking or not...

Pythakoreas, I'm pretty sure a GP can eliminate another Holy City's religion but it'll come back eventually UNLESS there are no other cities around it with a substantial religious population of the religion to be removed.

Can u eliminate the religion from that city entirely? and switch it over to your religion or will that city always been that religions holy city no matter what u do?

Holy Cities always generate +30 religious pressure (base). If the surrounding cities follow a different religion and exert more than +30 pressure then the Holy City will start to be converted.

Other cities following a religion generate +6 pressure (base). I simply use a Great Prophet to convert a Holy City to my religion. It eliminates the religion (at that moment) and converts x amount of citizens to your religion (usually the majority).

The Holy City will always be that religion's Holy City and will still generate +30 pressure but the religion isn't going to make a comeback (or is going to take a long time).

Just make sure the surrounding cities are exerting enough pressure on the Holy City and use a GP to convert it. Job done.

The Holy City will always be that religion's Holy City and will still generate +30 pressure but the religion isn't going to make a comeback (or is going to take a long time).

Just make sure the surrounding cities are exerting enough pressure on the Holy City and use a GP to convert it. Job done.

If the Holy City was the only city with that religion, and the surrounding cities with your religion are exerting much more pressure than the Holy City's internal pressure, and the founder of the Holy City's religion has been eliminated, then zapping the Holy City with a GP may suffice to keep that religion from reappearing; the Holy City internal pressure will still exist and a follower or two may reappear, but that religion can be kept in check.

If, however, the founder still exists, he can spawn a new GP of his own, reconvert his old Holy City and it will be back with full Holy City internal pressure. If you lose religious control of surrounding cities (maybe a third religion is encroaching), the Holy City internal pressure may cause the Holy City to switch back to the old religion.

The point of all of this is that GPs do not remove Holy City status. They remove followers, and with enough surrounding cities of your religion that may be enough. To eliminate Holy City status for good, you need to zap the city with an Inquisitor.

I may be wrong on this - but I thought if you captured every other city with that particular religion (So if you do it early by say capturing a small empire) and fully remove it's influence in the cap that the holy city will no longer exert influence

I may be wrong on this - but I thought if you captured every other city with that particular religion (So if you do it early by say capturing a small empire) and fully remove it's influence in the cap that the holy city will no longer exert influence

A holy city will always exert the extra pressure unless the inquisitor removes it; however, the extra pressure will largely be negated if all the followers in that city were converted by a GP and it's now surrounded by another religion with much higher pressure.

Hmm I could swear I read that there was some ingrained feature saying otherwise on Airoch's well of souls when GK was released, but as I said - might be wrong though

I conquered the holy city of Spain in my last game. They believed in Hinduism and I gladly converted them to my religion, which worked just fine but later Spain send a GP to Madrid and converted them back to Hinduism. Sounds ok, right?
Well not quite, they just owned three cities at that point and none of them believed in Hinduism. How is it possible to get a GP of your original religion in this situation?

The founder of a religion can always spawn a GP of its religion, even if his religion is not a majority in any city.

Top Bottom