The unique units for my mod are invisible. Please help.

DoktorApplejuce

Champion of Kirkwall
I though after I had gotten My first mod working (with some help, of course), It would be straight sailing for the rest of my mods. Apparently not. I took the exact same steps I did with my last mod, and yet instead of showing up as they should, my unique units are now invisible. (Chevalier and Seeker of Truth are the names of the units)

A few other things that don't seem to be working for them:
-The Chevalier should cost a horse, yet it doesn't.
-The Chevalier is supposed to yield 5 culture, and the Seeker is supposed to yield 15 faith each time they kill an enemy, yet the Chevalier yields nothing, and the Seeker only yields one faith.
-The Icons for the units are off-center in their circles, despite being perfectly centered in the original dds file.

If anyone could help with any of these, I would very much appreciate it.
Download link:
/https://www.mediafire.com/?puzakul2qp30fi5

I haven't even looked through the mod yet, but as some preliminary advice: make sure the name of the .fxsxml file used for the unit graphics is typed in exactly correct. My Samanid civ's UU was invisible for a while, causing a render error that caused crashes. The root problem was that in the unit art defines, where I typed in the name of the fxsxml as Horseman_Arabia.fxsxml when it should've been Horseman_Arabian.fxsxml.
The lack of a single "n" was making my mod crash. Be absolutely sure that you're not in a similar position.

I haven't even looked through the mod yet, but as some preliminary advice: make sure the name of the .fxsxml file used for the unit graphics is typed in exactly correct. My Samanid civ's UU was invisible for a while, causing a render error that caused crashes. The root problem was that in the unit art defines, where I typed in the name of the fxsxml as Horseman_Arabia.fxsxml when it should've been Horseman_Arabian.fxsxml.
The lack of a single "n" was making my mod crash. Be absolutely sure that you're not in a similar position.

That may be it, I referenced the fxsxml file as not being in it's own unit-specific folder, as the unique unit of my last civ was. I'll make that edit, and see if it works now.

If I'm understanding you correctly... what? :confused: Folders only matter to the modder who needs them to keep organized. The game doesn't give the slightest darn where you put your files within the mod, so that shouldn't be causing any problem unless you actually typed out the filepath for the name of the fxsxml, which is entirely unnecessary.

Ok, the Chevalier is now working; at least as far as being visible. It's still experiencing the rest of the problems I listed above, and the Seeker is still invisible. (and the download link has been updated)

If I'm understanding you correctly... what? :confused: Folders only matter to the modder who needs them to keep organized. The game doesn't give the slightest darn where you put your files within the mod, so that shouldn't be causing any problem unless you actually typed out the filepath for the name of the fxsxml, which is entirely unnecessary.

Huh. Alright, the reference mod I used typed out the filepath. I'll Go ahead and take that right out then in order to avoid further confusion.

As for your other problems:
-The Chevalier should cost a horse, yet it doesn't.
Code:
<Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements>
		<Row>
			<UnitType>UNIT_CHEVALIER</UnitType>
			<ResourceType>RESOURCE_HORSE[B][COLOR="Red"]S[/B][/COLOR]</ResourceType>
		</Row>
		<Row>
			<UnitType>UNIT_SEEKER_OF_TRUTH</UnitType>
			<ResourceType>RESOURCE_IRON</ResourceType>
		</Row>
	</Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements>
-The Chevalier is supposed to yield 5 culture, and the Seeker is supposed to yield 15 faith each time they kill an enemy, yet the Chevalier yields nothing, and the Seeker only yields one faith.
<Unit_YieldFromKills> makes the unit generate <Yield>% of the target unit's HP upon killing it, not any set amount.

----

Also, you appear to have art defines for the units in both XML and SQL - which wouldn't cause any problems, if you were only loading one of them into the database. Basically, you're defining each unit's art twice. The game hates any and all forms of duplication with the fire of a thousand suns, so for each unit you'll need to remove either the XML or the SQL from the load queue. (It doesn't matter which one)

Also, you appear to have art defines for the units in both XML and SQL - which wouldn't cause any problems, if you were only loading one of them into the database. Basically, you're defining each unit's art twice. The game hates any and all forms of duplication with the fire of a thousand suns, so for each unit you'll need to remove either the XML or the SQL from the load queue. (It doesn't matter which one)

Damn, I got rid of the SQL files, and when I loaded up the game, both my units used the default spearman skin. I tried putting the SQL files back in, and they're staying as spearmen.

But, the horse requirements work now, so there's that at least.

Units showing up as spearmen usually indicate that you haven't checked the Reload Unit System box in your mod properties in ModBuddy.

Units showing up as spearmen usually indicate that you haven't checked the Reload Unit System box in your mod properties in ModBuddy.

Alright, thanks. I should have remembered that, but I guess I'm pretty prone to simple mistakes.

Uhh My unit is invisible. I have tried what you said, but whatever I do, it just is invisible.

Uhh My unit is invisible. I have tried what you said, but whatever I do, it just is invisible.

It may help to upload the mod file (the one in the C:\Users\whatever your username is\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS). That way someone can take a look at just what might be happening to make it not work. I'm pretty new to modding, but I'd be willing to take a look.

Unit art files (DDS, FXSXML, GR2) are imported into VFS as well?

Top Bottom