Reworking Hell

the grubs look too dense. maybe a little bit more spare?
i could make them more sparse with blocking out some parts via alpha channel, but i really like how they look currently.

Any chance of a forest-type feature? Lots of spikes, mushrooms, etc.
i can make new models, i just retexture stuff, so perhaps. i have to see what is possible. the burned trees look fine on broken lands i think, so there is no real need for more plant stuff imho. i have something different planned for fields of perdition, but it will take time.

Burned forests look great on hell terrain, imo - they work as a Hell Forest. A more Jungle-esque hell feature would be neat, though.

there is the same problem with water than with rivers afaik. i could make a different terrain graphic, but is only the water on ground afaik. there is still the shadered blue water on top of it. i may try and see what is possible.

would probably be weird if lava sea has the same coast like normal ocean. Would it be possible with normal terrain? Or maybe we should steal the ocean from dunewars :D even their "water" fits hell more than blue stuff imho.

would probably be weird if lava sea has the same coast like normal ocean. Would it be possible with normal terrain? Or maybe we should steal the ocean from dunewars even their "water" fits hell more than blue stuff imho.

dune wars has no water :D and they got rid of it by giving the shadered water completely opaque textures (the only thing you can actually change) and also changing the hight maps (else units would walk in the air where the the water would be).

in short: it is not possible to have water on erebus and no water in hell. if you get rid of the blue stuff, you will do so in regular terrain as well.

can you send me the terrain textures please, i don't have those mods?

edit: art/terrain/textures

Eh. In this case it's more of a mechanical need; I'd like a hellish forest variant, so that the Elves don't get obliterated by hell.

Spoiler :

that is your fault!

have not made them tileable yet.

Attachments

• helltrees.jpg
    helltrees.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 278
Hmm, funny.. am I blind but I cannot find terrain (folder) anywhere in RifE installation folder.
Maybe Valkrionn helps..

Spoiler :

that is your fault!

have not made them tileable yet.

Awesome. ;)

And yeah, the hell water textures are in the fpak. IIRC, they don't blend too well with OTHER water, but then, I don't see that as much of an issue... Wouldn't imagine Hell and Erebus SHOULD blend well.

I'm at work atm, can post them later on tonight... About 6.5 hours from now. :lol:

I think these are it - Blighted Coast and Blackwater textures, from the art/terrain/textures in the fPak.

Attachments

• textures.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
thank you. i looked at them and will try them out later. by the first looks of it they just look darker, perhaps i switch away from lava as a coast and go more into warcraft 2 (orc lands) type of coast.

thank you. i looked at them and will try them out later. by the first looks of it they just look darker, perhaps i switch away from lava as a coast and go more into warcraft 2 (orc lands) type of coast.

PAE IV by Pie_at has some fog, it looks green-yellowish and would fit to cover the seas/coastal tiles of hell terrain, but I don't know if this is defined as "improvement", "terrain type" or climate effect... I looked into the files but found nothing (what a surprise, same outcome if you put a gorilla to develop new financial products - what they do, if I think of it twice:lol:). Maybe just pm Pie_at, tesb, you can use the civforum.de too.

He has some nice plagues like locusts hordes (destroy improvements) and tile-bound-pestilence (20% harm on this tile for units) etc. ... could be sideeffect, if hell terrain is spreading near your non affected tiles.

Greez,

Tschuggi

valkrionn i will not make those tress tilable or use them at all, because they are not fitting my purposes (they look too distracting). however if you want to use them i can send your the texture and give you advice on how to make the other 14 nifs, so you have tileable trees that look like in this screenshot :)

i used the nebula from final frontier gave it a new texture and upped every mesh, so you can see them on land and hills. i will use this as a tileable fire feature for the fields of perdition:
Spoiler :

i wrote somewhere earlier that tiling removes animations, even texture transform animations. this not entirely true, only tree tiling removes them, the half tiling can still use texture transform nodes. what that means: the fiery fields are animated!

Attachments

• FoP.jpg
    FoP.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 222
there are two files in the attached zip:

1. the model of the trees (BrokenTrees15_01_backup.nif)
2. the texture (helltrees_1024.dds)

What you have to do:
get evergreen01_01 up to evergreen14_01 found in the unpacked assets fpk of civilization IV. The path is: art/terrain/features/treeevergreen

now you have to repeat the following steps for every *.nif (14 times in total):
1.) select the trees and scale vertices: z = 1.5 (only do that if you want the trees taller than normal, else you have to scale the trees of BrokenTrees15_01_backup by z = 0.67)
2.) change the texture, so the trees as well as the shadows use helltrees_1024.dds (this needs only one texture change because both meshes refer to the same texture property)
3.) copy the the branch of the shadow mesh and paste it back on the scene root node
4.) change the UV map of the new shadow mesh and simply drag the the square over the shadow to the bright spot in the bottom right of the texture
5.) adjust the position (x,y coordinates) of the new shadow mesh so the bright spots are where the tree bases are.
6.) set the alpha property of the new shadow mesh to 4097

this sounds perhaps a bit much, but it should not take you longer than 1 to 3 minutes per *.nif. if you have questions feel free to ask. also you may adjust the uv maps a bit, because the firaxis guys have chosen them poorly when they did their trees (for example some branches overlap with the bole, thus giving you some weird artifacts at the edges of the branches). You can simply compare the UV maps of the nif in the zip to see where is fixed stuff, for comparison. Finally you should probably rename the BrokenTrees15_01_backup.nif to NameOfYourTrees15_01.nif

Attachments

• helltrees.zip
    158.9 KB · Views: 39
i was experimenting with the coasts a bit. here are some results:

1.) decent looking normal coast, perhaps as a replacement for the current one?
Spoiler :

2.) another decent looking normal coast, but it is better than 1?
Spoiler :

3.) a possible hell coast?
Spoiler :

4.) another hell coast?
Spoiler :

the problem that i have with those options, that they extend a bit too far into the sea for my tastes, but there is nothing i can do to fix this :cry:

edit:
personally i would go with 1 and 4, for regular coast and hell coast respectively.

Attachments

• coast1.jpg
    coast1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 208
  • coast2.jpg
    coast2.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 214
  • coast3.jpg
    coast3.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 215
  • coast4.jpg
    coast4.jpg