City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

Hmm...are you loading it as an independent mod? If so, make sure and check it last on the mod menu. So uncheck everything, check everything, making CSD2.7.1 the last one you check. Make sense?

I'm not sure why this works, but others have confirmed it.

If you are trying to combine it with another mod you'll need to copy over my custom unit art info (not at home computer, can't remember the name of the file).

Cheers,
G

You don't have your replacement civ5artdefines_units.xml set to VFS - true, so it is attempting to update the original file instead of replace it.

You need to either change your file to just Update the xml or have VFS just replace the sucker outright.

Not sure what you mean– by 'update' do you mean cut out the vanilla kit and then leave my custom stuff? I don't want to replace original (current mod layout is a result of pre-patch mod structure), as I want my mod to remain modular.

Edit: I'll be back at my place in an hour or so, so I can look at it then.

Right now what your mod does, as far as I can tell, is re-add every single original entry to the file (not sure if they duplicate), then add your own. In effect, you are doing a rewrite of the file, without actually rewriting it, which appears to be the problem.

If this is a core file that needs to be overwritten due to the way it loads (fully during game creation, rather than piecemeal like UI), then you will want to set VFS to true, and deal with the incompatibility issues.
--This is the method for R.E.D. graphic pack (which would overwrite your files if someone played both)

If this file loads as needed during gameplay, you should simply remove all units that aren't yours from the list, so the file simply loads those into the existing xml.

Right now what your mod does, as far as I can tell, is re-add every single original entry to the file (not sure if they duplicate), then add your own. In effect, you are doing a rewrite of the file, without actually rewriting it, which appears to be the problem.

If this is a core file that needs to be overwritten due to the way it loads (fully during game creation, rather than piecemeal like UI), then you will want to set VFS to true, and deal with the incompatibility issues.
--This is the method for R.E.D. graphic pack (which would overwrite your files if someone played both)

If this file loads as needed during gameplay, you should simply remove all units that aren't yours from the list, so the file simply loads those into the existing xml.

I'm back at my place now, so I can look at this in more detail. So far as I remember, when I built the mod I could not get custom units to work without copying and replacing the entire main file. Perhaps I am mistaken, however, isn't VFS just for files that don't receive 'OnModActivated-->UpdateDatabase' lines on the actions tab? I.e., isn't VFS for art, etc.? My ignorance is certainly the likely culprit here. :)

I'm back at my place now, so I can look at this in more detail. So far as I remember, when I built the mod I could not get custom units to work without copying and replacing the entire main file. Perhaps I am mistaken, however, isn't VFS just for files that don't receive 'OnModActivated-->UpdateDatabase' lines on the actions tab? I.e., isn't VFS for art, etc.? My ignorance is certainly the likely culprit here. :)

VFS is for every file that you want to replace an original or a brand new file (i.e. one that is not updating or adding to an existing one). The VFS = True tells the game to add those files to the database before it starts updating databases. Art files need this tag because they are brand new files and/or replacements to existing ones.

2.9 posted. See front page for details. You'll want to pick this one up.

Also, any other modders figured out how to edit strategic view icons for units? I've tried for hours to no avail.

UPDATE: Something is wrong with 2.9, naturally. Its asking for diplomat45.dds, which isn't even in the mod anymore (or referenced anywhere, for that matter...). BAH!

Also, my modular fix for custom units was a no-go, so I'm reverting to 2.8's solution. Look for another version.

UPDATE 2: 2.9 is back up and fixed. Good to go!!

hey, just wanted to hop in and say great job, yours was one of the first mods i tried and ive been using it ever since, does make diplomacy more fun...although, i've noticed it's still possible to pay for alliances...by end game i have so much cash it makes more sense for me to that than spend the cash or time to build a unit that will only get me about half of what straight up money will, and it seems to me like the AI takes advantage of that too with their huge amounts of wealth..just a thought..but yeah, wanted to say great job, love your mod!!!

yeah, in my last play with PWM and CSD and WWGD,
on King level, AI Egypt had at one point 17k gold in the end (future era)!

hey, just wanted to hop in and say great job, yours was one of the first mods i tried and ive been using it ever since, does make diplomacy more fun...although, i've noticed it's still possible to pay for alliances...by end game i have so much cash it makes more sense for me to that than spend the cash or time to build a unit that will only get me about half of what straight up money will, and it seems to me like the AI takes advantage of that too with their huge amounts of wealth..just a thought..but yeah, wanted to say great job, love your mod!!!

Yeah, but by then the amount of influence you gain per gold spent has gone down dramatically. I couldn't eliminate it completely because the AI wouldn't listen to me (continued to purchase influence regardless of XML commands to the contrary) and, when I finally turned it off, the AI was hoarding money (rarely buys buildings or units, even with 17k).

yeah, in my last play with PWM and CSD and WWGD,
on King level, AI Egypt had at one point 17k gold in the end (future era)!

That's high, but not uncommon on king. AI can make insane amounts of money (+100-200GPT) towards modern era.

Seems LUA coding is more tricky than I remember. If anyone wants to help and/or give guidance, this is what I want to do:

A LUA event that spawns a notification icon on the right-hand side (where all the bubbles are) that indicates when any player initiates the 'Conduct Trade Mission' action available to diplomatic units and great merchants. Nothing fancy, just a simple notification is all I need (probably using the City-State defacto 'capitol dome' icon). I'd rather not spend hours trial and erroring about in LUA-land if someone has a quick solution. All credit will be bestowed upon ye!
G

Thanks for the update :)

I have only recently discovered this mod and played my first (partial) game with 2.8. It had to be partial as I was using another mod Specialized Barbarian Units which continually crashed when loading a saved game).

I have just started another one using the 2.9.1 revision through the mod browser.

As my last game only lasted until turn 207 I hadn't been able to explore much of the mods features but I did enjoy using the Envoys on their diplomatic missions. Building a forum and popping out, when possible, a few Envoys was great to ally with a number of City States. Even better was when Spain declared was on me all the States then went to war with her and as some of them were bordered against her it did prove quite entertaining.

I did notice (I played as Alexander, Greek) that my Envoys were represented by a group with spears. Wouldn't something like a scout be more appropriate as they are on a diplomatic mission after all..? I have removed that barbarian mod now and maybe that accounted for it..? EDIT: After continuing my new game long enough to build a messenger I can confirm that it was indeed the barbarian mod which was causing my diplomats to look like a group of spearmen.

When you write...
Fixed nagging unit-based crash

what was that issue..?

As I had the issues with the barbarian mod as I noted does anyone have any thoughts on whether there are any glaring issues here with these mods I now use...

Attila Mods (v 13)
Better Japanese City Names (v 1)
City-State Diplomacy Mod 2.9.1 (v 10)
CivWillard (v 1)
Copasetic UI Tweaks (v 4)
InfoAddict (v 10)
Smarter TechTree Pipes (v 1)
Unofficial Patch III (v 32)

thanks for any advice with using the above mods together and thanks again Gazebo for sharing this mod and your continued work.

That's high, but not uncommon on king. AI can make insane amounts of money (+100-200GPT) towards modern era.

Seems LUA coding is more tricky than I remember. If anyone wants to help and/or give guidance, this is what I want to do:

A LUA event that spawns a notification icon on the right-hand side (where all the bubbles are) that indicates when any player initiates the 'Conduct Trade Mission' action available to diplomatic units and great merchants. Nothing fancy, just a simple notification is all I need (probably using the City-State defacto 'capitol dome' icon). I'd rather not spend hours trial and erroring about in LUA-land if someone has a quick solution. All credit will be bestowed upon ye!
G

I can give this a look. Just know that given the way the system works right now, you will run into a wall of compatibility issues

Top Bottom