Byzantium UA overpowered?

OP misspelled underpowered...

On a serious note, Byzantium has a religious UA based on founding a religion and gets absolutely no help founding said religion. On easier difficulties not a big deal, but this UA really needs help on immortal or higher.

OP misspelled underpowered...

On a serious note, Byzantium has a religious UA based on founding a religion and gets absolutely no help founding said religion. On easier difficulties not a big deal, but this UA really needs help on immortal or higher.

This game I just played as Theodora was quite interesting.

I spawned with no faith-generation terrain whatsoever. Originally I thought I would reroll, but then I thought I should maybe try it anyway....

I had a pitiful 3 faith per turn, which normally will not be able to found a religion with on Immortal. But it just happened that I was close to Washington, who was on a DESERT, chose DESERT FOLKLORE.... so I managed to wait until he founded his religion, took over all of his cities (with his religion), got a whole bunch of faith, and finally managed to found my own religion.

I think I am going to lose due to Hiawatha though. Sigh.

This game I just played as Theodora was quite interesting.

I spawned with no faith-generation terrain whatsoever. Originally I thought I would reroll, but then I thought I should maybe try it anyway....

I had a pitiful 3 faith per turn, which normally will not be able to found a religion with on Immortal. But it just happened that I was close to Washington, who was on a DESERT, chose DESERT FOLKLORE.... so I managed to wait until he founded his religion, took over all of his cities (with his religion), got a whole bunch of faith, and finally managed to found my own religion.

I think I am going to lose due to Hiawatha though. Sigh.

Pick Piety as your 4th policy (Liberty left side first) and Organzied religion as 5th and spam cities/shrines, temples later.
If you are on a continent with quite a few AIs, I'd pick a second enhancer belief as the bonus belief to guarantee a wide spread of my religion.

You don't need a religious pantheon at all. Most people never pick Piety though for some very odd reason, completely ignoring strong wide strategies like Pagoda spam.

Doesn't giving a civ help founding a religion on high difficulties defeat the purpose of playing on a higher difficulty? Immortal difficulty is supposed to be rather, well...difficult.

My hope is that one fine day the AI is patched so that AI civ's won't willingly spend all of their gold funding the players' early settler spam (in exchange for resources that they won't get any real use out of in the next 30 turns). Ending that exploit alone will help erode the sense of entitlement some folks have about treating high difficulties as the baseline.

Pick Piety as your 4th policy (Liberty left side first) and Organzied religion as 5th and spam cities/shrines, temples later.
If you are on a continent with quite a few AIs, I'd pick a second enhancer belief as the bonus belief to guarantee a wide spread of my religion.

You don't need a religious pantheon at all. Most people never pick Piety though for some very odd reason, completely ignoring strong wide strategies like Pagoda spam.

Word. This is a great strategy, especially with ceremonial burial + pagodas. Glad to see more people are picking up on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealHuhn

Word. This is a great strategy, especially with ceremonial burial + pagodas. Glad to see more people are picking up on this.

Thats how I often play mp games, espacially in teamers, but for fast finish times in sp (and thats what good strategies are looking for) its just not the best plan.
All the faith just doesnt help in teching.

have you tried switching to rationalism later? you don't lose much at that point, assuming only 1-2 piety policies were taken. I can usually buy three GS (5,000 faith) and still have enough left over for an engineer or two.

have you tried switching to rationalism later? you don't lose much at that point, assuming only 1-2 piety policies were taken. I can usually buy three GS (5,000 faith) and still have enough left over for an engineer or two.

I'm totally on board with this strategy. Try using this to go ICS with Egypt using the Religious Centers belief (2 EXTRA happiness from Burial Tombs). It's pretty ridiculous how well Egypt can ICS.

To be historically accurate, BZ's ability should be to adopt someone else's religion and profit from it.

I'd actually have liked to see them get a spy in the medieval era. If there's a civ that was known for its plots, schemes, and backstabbing (both literally and figuratively), it was Byzantium.

For fast science wins its just better to go full tradition and lib till GA/reduced sp costs to get the politics in Rati tree and order faster, this 1 GA in middle of game will give more prodction/gold as U d save by going peity tree, and also some culture and faster workers :)

Peity tree just isnt really competetive vs Liberty and Tradition tree - in games which tend to last till space - thats just a fact.

But as said its a fun tree for mp games which end usually latest in indu era.

Ah well and Byz - its a good civ for culture win, religion i just mostly about culture, its doesnt add that much to a warfare game.

Top Bottom