rule of thumb for conquered cities

buffcrack

Chieftain
I'm curious about other civ players' strategy or rule of thumb they use when deciding to puppet or raze a city.

Never annex, always puppet first. Annex later once the riots stop. Usually I save gold for immediate courthouse purchase after annexation. This works really well after ideologies because you will have some cheap happy buildings to put in there.

as for when to raze, just like Acken said.
take a look at what is in there, make a judgement call. Happiness building already there? university? Wonders? thats a keeper!

remember to:
-keep any great works by transferring them to your cities.
-if razing, sell one building each turn to get extra gold
-regardless of razing, consider selling the city to some other AI. let them support the troll city, while paying you something in return.

Q: Do I need this city?

Yes only if:

1. It's a capital
2. I need it in order to assault another capital
3. It has a wonder that directly helps me right now, and there aren't actually many of those - e.g. it should have ND, Pyramids, SoZ, GW, CI, Machu Pichu, FP, Sistine, Big Ben, SoL, or Prora. Other wonders are not worth it, IMO.

If yes, puppet it.

If >50 turns from winning, annex it after the riots stop and grow it for science. Otherwise, leave as a puppet.

If no, raze it.

Is Attila in the game and do you have a DoF going for fighting a common foe?

If yes, then you can sell every city to him for massive gold (we're talking close to 2k) and he'll just raze it for you

I'm curious about other civ players' strategy or rule of thumb they use when deciding to puppet or raze a city.

Simple: The new city must do one of the following to be worth keeping:

1. Be within 3 hexes of a natural wonder, that natural wonder not within range of any other city you are planning on keeping post conclusion of the war.

2. Contain within its cultural boundary either a unique luxury or one that you can sell at full price (you having a DOF with another AI who doesn't have that luxury + him still giving full value for trades)

3. Contain within its cultural boundary a strategic resource you can either use or sell for full price (2 GPT per resource via microing the trades) While this one doesn't require any DOF, it still requires that there be at least 1 AI who doesn't have a big surplus of that type of resource that is still paying full value for trades.

4. A world wonder

5. If you are playing Venice and capture a coastal city extremely early, it may also be worth it just to run another sea food cargo route to Venice if the number of cities you have is more of a limit on trade routes running to Venice than the number of routes allowed by your techs.

Note that artifacts isn't a reason to keep a city as you can relocate them while the city is burning. (And plus even if you were puppeting it, you'd want to relocate them at least temporarily until it came out of resistance)

Most of the responses seem to be tuned to early game. Once you hit Ideologies, the choice to puppet/annex/raze gets more interesting.

Never annex, always puppet first.

Not always. If you unlock the tenant (Order, I am pretty sure) that gives free courthouses upon capture, you would not want that to go to waste. (Keeping in mind that you would have only picked that tenant once you were ready to steamroll.)

Autocracy offers double build speed courthouse with double happiness. If my happiness and tourism are high enough, I don't bother to puppet first. (Yes, that is sub optimal, but I am not detail oriented, so I often miss timely annexing the cities otherwise.)

thats right beetle, there are exceptions for every rule! :)

the way I pick ideological policies usualy allows me to control more and more cities, almost always through conquest, puppet, annex. With order or auto, I usualy end up with 8-12 cities by the end.

My favorite strategy is to get the city through a peace deal, and that way its got more stuff in it because I didnt have to take it by force. No matter what I do with that city, its now worth more than one I half destroyed in conquest.

I will *always* be looking to liberate one city for each one I keep. Not always possible of course.
CS are best, automatic allies.
Recalling dead AI is second best, because they will probably love you, instant DoF for you, Denouncement for whomever killed them off. This can help win Diplo victories, as recalled players are way more likely to vote for you.

last : I love selling cities to other AI to create more border tensions. I love to puppeteer the AI into wars with each other, and profit all the while. Capture city from Y, Sell it to X, wait for war...Ask X or Y for gold so I will DoW the other one...profit, repeat... win.

Top Bottom