[Religion and Revolution]: Feedback and Questions

As Feedback I want to say this Mod rocks!

Haven't been part of the scenery for a while (for few years) but back in the day thought Civ 3 mod about Colonization would have been neat. Then when Civ IV: Colonization came out, I wasn't totally pleased since it felt like something was missing...

But you all nailed it!

I nowadays don't even play games and especially don't get addicted but when I started your mod it was instant hit.

Thanks for all your work!

Hi folks,

I have one short question. From time to time the natives offer me one of their villages.
If I agree the village turns into a ruin - I think because the village is within a radius of 3 tiles next to one of my cities?!
Is this a feature or a bug?

This is neither a feature nor a bug, this is vanilla.... :D

Whenever your territory extends so widely that you displace the natives fron their land - sooner or later they will offer you the land - i.e. the city, then they leave their city and the affected city becomes a ruin.

What do you think should happen? That their village turns into a European city? :hammer: :D

This is neither a feature nor a bug, this is vanilla.... :D

Whenever your territory extends so widely that you displace the natives fron their land - sooner or later they will offer you the land - i.e. the city, then they leave their city and the affected city becomes a ruin.

What do you think should happen? That their village turns into a European city? :hammer: :D
The weird thing is that they are actually glad to offer it (as if you were doing them a favor in accepting the village to be destroyed). I find that a bit counter-intuitive.

So maybe we could see the thing in 2 ways:
  • either our culture "impressed" them so much that they wanted to assimilate, in which case the people moved out of the village should pop up as converted natives (that's what is currently happening with some nomadic people worldwide settling to take advantage of modern life).
  • or the natives are pissed to lose a village (as I would be as a player), and this should have a negative impact on our reputation towards them.

Or both actually! One thing doesn't necessarily exclude the other.
What do you think? :)

The weird thing is that they are actually glad to offer it (as if you were doing them a favor in accepting the village to be destroyed). I find that a bit counter-intuitive.

(...)

Or both actually! One thing doesn't necessarily exclude the other.
What do you think? :)

I second that! I always had mixed feelings with this "feature" from vanilla. Why should Natives be happy to loose their grounds, but angry if you let them keep...? (that's the way it is handled since vanilla) :crazyeye:

Marla's solution sounds good: Exchange of the attitutes (keep village: +1, make it European Lands: -1) and receiving some converted Natives if the village is vanished...?

Why have the village vanish at all if you choose the assimilation/converted natives option? Wouldn't it be cool to see the city itself merely turned over to your control? Except it would obviously keep the native buildings which could then slowly be replaced with European counterparts. Whatever the population was at the time of conversion (say 4), 3 converted natives would be in your new settlement and the native village loses one population (now 4-1), due to that Indian wanting to emigrate to another native village because he wants to maintain his cultural identity.

I kind of like the ideas regarding settlement overtaking from a realistic perspective, but I'm concerned with the game balance. Not only can it heavily affect gameplay, it also hurt French expansion while Spanish players are largely unaffected (assuming they exploit leader bonuses). I think changing something like this can hurt the gameplay, especially if the change isn't carefully considered and tested.

Is there a rule that you cannot declare war before x turn ?

Yes. There is a "forced peace period" in the beginning of the game.
But for testing you can still "declare war" by using Worldbuilder (Diplomacy).

How long is the forced peace period?

Never knew what it was in vanilla or TAC since I never played them much.
R&R is what got me playing.

So thanks.

When I try to play colonization conversed earth map (download), RAR has been crashed.
How can I solve this problem?

RaR version is 2.2

English is not my major language, so my words feel little weird.

When I play with general map setting (like New_World or Caribbean), RAR has been crashed.

I am sorry, I do not understand your problem. :dunno:

All 3 MapScripts used by the mod (Faireweather, New World, Carribean) have been tested (and partially adjusted).
They should not cause any crashes.

Edit:

There was a bug though (which is fixed in the upcoming Release 2.3):

When a European Starting Ship was placed on a Plot with Water Goody / Shipwreck the game crashed.
(This had nothing to do with the MapScript and could happen on every Map or Mapscript.)

Edit 2:

When I try to play colonization conversed earth map (download), RAR has been crashed.

Oh, so you are playing some map that is not part of clean RaR.
Well, then I have absolutely no idea what goes wrong ... :dunno:

Just to clarify:
Any MapScript (or Map) that has not explicitly been made or adjusted for RaR, will most likely not work with RaR.
They would need to be adjusted first for RaR (by a modder who knows about Maps or MapScripts).

RaR version is 2.2

English is not my major language, so my words feel little weird.
Please send here the .ColonizationWBSave file, I will look at it.

NOTE: You can attach a file to a post in clicking on the "manage attachment" button. You only need first to zip it.

350 rounds autoplay with the current SVN:

The French rule this game.

I don't know why the economy of the AI isn't so effective in every game.... :eek: (no gold mine inside a city):

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0042.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0042.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 532
Please send here the .ColonizationWBSave file, I will look at it.

NOTE: You can attach a file to a post in clicking on the "manage attachment" button. You only need first to zip it.

Here's the file. I played this map previous version of RAR(I don't remember version number. sorry), but I can't play this map on RAR ver 2.2

Attachments

• Earth.7z
    24.4 KB · Views: 50
350 rounds autoplay with the current SVN:

The French rule this game.

I don't know why the economy of the AI isn't so effective in every game.... :eek:

Wow, that AI city is really huge. :eek:

The biggest AI city I had ever seen in my games was around 50 citizens.
(Also was lategame on Gigantic Map. Probably also more than 300 turns.)

Top Bottom